Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
The next morning, Glorfindel found himself with a dilemma. He wanted to leave Lothlorien, for between avoiding Galadriel and eluding Erestor he was not having much fun. It also made it difficult to make introductions to any of the eligible maidens of the woods. The trouble was, everything looked the same no matter where he went – that, or the shadows and trees were playing tricks on him. It was not entirely surprising. Gondolin had had its wall, and Doriath the girdle, but to be honest, Glorfindel was practically pissed off.

Luckily, his bad mood was abated when he came almost into a previous unseen clearing. Looking straight ahead, he saw such a vision – and what a vision she was! She was bathing, humming to herself (where had he heard that tune before?), her dark hair pinned up with errant tendrils curling down her neck, damp from skimming the water.

By now, Glorfindel was really very much in need of... companionship. Lots of companionship. Loads and loads of companionship. Rough, sweaty, all-night-long... companionship.

The trees here were dense. Glorfindel quickly judged his path, swerving and ducking diligently until he was just a step away. With a grin on his face he licked his lips, the hunter now the wolf as he took that final step.

“Daro!”

The sudden outburst from a hidden warden caused Glorfindel to lose his balance and fall backwards. As he looked up from where he sat, he saw an arrow pointed down at him on either side. Between these stood Galadriel and Celebrian, neither looking particularly pleased.

“Good day... I seem to have lost...” He trailed off as Galadriel narrowed her eyes further, trying another tactic. “Lady Galadriel, how good to see you! It has been far too—“

“You may stop there, Lord Glorfindel,” snapped Galadriel. “You have much to apologize for already. There is no need to add another untruth to the list.”

“Excuse me, Grandmother, but I need someone to bring a towel!” shouted the maiden in the bathing pool. Galadriel turned to one of the wardens and gave a nod. He only too willingly rushed over to aid Arwen.

“Wait... granddaughter? Huh, if I had realized you were that old, I would never...” Glorfindel shut his mouth again, but only temporarily. “Do you always watch your granddaughter when she is bathing?”

“This was obviously an exception, Lord Glorfindel. Between the events foretold in my mirror and my daughter Celebrian’s concerns, I was certain you were going to be trouble. Now you know we are watching.” Galadriel gave him a final look before she and Celebrian joined an amply wrapped-up Arwen.

The remaining warden lowered his weapon. “Lady Galadriel has asked I relay to you invitation to stay. She prefers you where you can be watched instead of a hazard to half the Elven population.”

“Please tell me she has no other daughters or granddaughters,” begged Glorfindel.

The warden frowned. “Not that I am aware of, Lord Glorfindel.”

“Thank the Valar for small favors.”