Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
It was not long before Glorfindel had stopped licking his wounds and was once again on his personal quest. He now had four people to avoid; six if he counted the guards. He had considered asking where the exit was when he had been caught earlier that morning, but it hardly seemed as if this information was going to be freely given to him. In fact, it certainly seemed as if they were keeping him trapped in order to make a mockery of him.

“No one makes a mockery of Glorfindel!” he announced to a pair of cardinals nested in a tree. His inattentiveness to his path caused him to crash into a low hanging branch. A pair of startled robins flew off as they scolded him.

“Because you do a fine job of it on your own?”

At first, Glorfindel wondered if he was losing his mind and had heard one of the birds respond, but he turned to see the ever-present Erestor lurking behind him. “Did she ask you to trail me?”

“No. I decided to on my own.”

“Why?” Glorfindel waited for an answer, but all he received was a shrug. He began to walk again and melodically chanted:

You never leave me alone
No matter where I roam
You are hardly trying
To keep secret your spying
So...

Glorfindel frowned. “So... hmm. Lord Erestor, what rhymes with roam?” He turned around, but found the advisor was gone.

When Glorfindel managed to wander his way back into the heart of the city early that evening, he found bakers and servers and musicians hurrying about, preparing the area beneath the tallest of the mallorn trees for some sort of party. Ribbons were tied around the bases of the trees and streamers draped from branch to branch. Tables of food containing perfectly arranged cakes and sweets sat undisturbed, with ample wine available at several places in the glade.

Glorfindel snagged a goblet of wine from a tray and sought out someone who knew as if they knew what was going on. A slightly familiar looking ellon whom he could not place stood overlooking the workers, and Glorfindel approached him. “Now, which celebration is this for? I can hardly keep track with all of the holidays we observe these days!”

Celeborn tried his best not to look too amused as he explained, “We are hardly celebrating a holiday. My wife just likes an excuse to throw a party, and with the arrival of my daughter here safely we agreed it was time for another. If you will excuse me, I need to collect my wife. Hopefully she is done primping by now.” He began to leave, but added as an afterthought, “You are more than welcome to stay for the festivities, Lord Glorfindel, so long as you keep your hands and eyes off of my wife, daughter, and granddaughter.” The silver lord winked at Glorfindel, who tried to fake a smile and groaned as soon as Celeborn had walked away.