Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Your highness, we have visitors.”

The king looked up from the letter he was reading and gave a nod and a wave of his hand to the messenger, who ran down the steps again and motioned for the doors to be opened.

“I wonder who it is,” mumbled the seneschal, stretching his neck to see.

The Sinda smiled at his chief counselor and good friend, then stood as soon as he saw who was entering. The messenger at the other end of the hall boomed in a loud voice, “Clear the way for the King of East Lorien! His highness, King Orophin and the Queen Valarda, with Prince Phindir!”

“Greetings, my southern cousins! I welcome you warmly.” Legolas placed his feet upon the floor at the bottom of the stairs that led up to the throne as the regal trio reached his spot. “It pleases me greatly to have you here in Greenwood.”

“We are indeed thankful of your hospitality and your invitation for us to join you for the summer in your home.” Orophin made a motion in the direction of the doorway they had entered and said, “I have brought gifts; meager offerings from our home. Lembas, wine, a few other items.”

Gimli’s ears perked up at the mention of wine, and soon the stout seneschal was standing beside the King of Greenwood. “Ah don’t suppose there might’n be a bit fer us to sample with the meal this evening, would there?”

“I am sure there is plenty,” answered Orophin with a grin.

At that moment, an impatient elfling began to tug on the Lorien King’s cape. When Orophin stooped down to rest one knee on the ground so that he was eyelevel with his son, the elfling whispered rather loudly, “Adar, that elf has a beard!”

Chuckling along with the rest of the court in earshot, King Legolas placed a hand upon Gimli’s shoulder and said, “Tis no elf, but Elf-friend I call him. This is Lord Gimli, the chief of my counselors and a good friend of mine.”

“My apologies,” said Orophin with a smile as he stood back up. “I should have introduced you. My son, Phindir. Phindir, this is King Legolas.”

The elfling bowed politely. “Pleased to meet you, your highness.”

“As am I to meet you.” Legolas could not help but notice that the elfling bore a resemblance to an elf he once knew, an elf who would have been uncle to this young one. If only Haldir had not been killed at Helm’s Deep – it was something Legolas found himself thinking of from time to time.

As if Orophin could tell the thought that the Sinda was having, he smiled sadly and squeezed Legolas’ shoulder. “I miss him, too,” he said. Motioning that they might walk a little without the others, the two kings strolled out of the throne room and made their way down the hall. “I can tell you were a bit surprised to see me.”

“Well, I invited the king of East Lorien. I had no idea that there was a new king,” admitted the blond. “I hope nothing ill has come upon your father.”

“My father misses my mother greatly,” said Orophin. “Ever since she crossed the sea, he looks always to the west. He has traveled to Rivendell, but he wished to place me in charge. We both agreed it was temporary, but I know in my heart that he will not return to these woods.”