Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Sitting up, Haldir tried to find what Legolas had suddenly become interested in. “What can you see on the horizon?” questioned Haldir, looking more intently over the water.

“A light on the water...” he said, and then nearly jumping up, shouted, “A ship! A grey ship passes!” He ran toward the surf, and even through the surge of water continued to run toward the swiftly moving vessel. “It is the ship that carries Lord Glorfindel and Master Erestor! At last, they have come into the west!” he shouted.

Clearing the remaining thoughts of sorrow from his head for now, Haldir smiled and picked up their instruments. “I shall alert the household,” he called as he jogged in the direction of the house.

- - -

It was still over an hour before the ship was close enough to shore so that the anchor could be dropped. Although initially everyone came outside when Haldir alerted them, most returned in from the cold night air to wait until the ship came closer. Only Haldir, Legolas, and Celebdreth remained, watching in silence as the ship inched closer and closer. The vessel moved slowly and was low in the water – likely, as had been predicted, Erestor had brought nearly every last book in Imladris with them. He was standing now at an opening at the bow of the ship, sliding a long plank out the front that would be used to create a makeshift dock of sorts. Ropes were thrown to shore and the ship was secured before the few who were on the vessel stepped onto the beach.

“Where is everyone?” questioned Celebdreth.

“I was about to ask the same,” Erestor said, embracing his grandson. “How bad is Valinor?”

Celebdreth grinned. “I’m glad now that I came. I know I was hesitant, but you were right. I have things to tell you, many wonderful things. Everything is just fine here, and everyone came as you said they would.”

Hugging him once again, he said apologetically, “Not everyone, pen-neth. Forgive me, but there are some who are destined to stay.”

“Not Glorfindel!” Celebdreth looked as if he might burst into tears, and it was lucky that the golden-haired warrior chose that moment to step down the makeshift dock.

“Not Glorfindel!” shouted Glorfindel himself. “The last time I was here, they would not even allow me a day! I plan never to leave these shores again!” Behind him, carefully minding his way, was Asfaloth.

Instead of leaving, Nahar followed Glorfindel as others slowly trickled out of the doors of the house. When Celebrian approached, holding a tiny golden-haired elfling in her arms, the babe was taken by Glorfindel and passed to Celebdreth before the warrior took hold of Celebrian by her waist and spun her around and around until she complained she was dizzy though she laughed and kissed Glorfindel’s cheek once she was on solid ground again. “It is so very good to see you again, my lady,” replied Glorfindel as he bowed to her with tears in his aqua eyes.

“Likewise, Glorfindel. You have been missed by all.” She then went to Erestor and threw her arms around his neck. “And, you, Erestor. We hoped we might see you both walk one day upon these shores.”

“Today is that day!” he said happily. “You’re all stuck with me now,” he merrily laughed as none had heard him before. Nenniach stepped toward them, carrying a small elfling with dark hair. “Lady Nenniach!” Glorfindel embraced her best he could without jostling her small charge. “A little sister for Celebdreth?”

“Nay, a little sister for the twins,” she said, handing the bundle to Celebrian.

“And for someone else.”

Everyone stopped their talking and merriment. Celebrian shakily handed the babe she held back to Nenniach as the front doors of the house burst open.

At the top of the stairs, Elrond seemed to have lost the ability to speak or move. Only when his sons sleepily filed out the door and then ran down the steps did he regain his senses. There was nothing regal or lordly about his reaction or movement. When he reached the sobbing group clinging to one another, crying and laughing all at the same time, Elrond reached his arms around to hug them all in one big group.

Once things were sorted out a bit at it was determined there was no mirage, Elrond managed to part his sons and wife from the peredhel who remained. Softly she said, “I missed you, Ada.”

“Arwen.” Embracing her tightly, tears fell from Elrond’s eyes as they had the rest of the group. “I thought your fate tied to men.”

“As did I.” As she snuggled closer to her father, Arwen said, “I thought the grief would take me as soon as he was gone. But there was something.. something keeping me tied to this world. Someone who, if I faded, would fade himself.”

It was at this point that Erestor nudged Haldir forward. The ellon hesitated only slightly before boldly walking to the happy reunion on the beach. Placing his hand on Elrond’s shoulder, the two exchanged a long look, trying to gage the other’s reaction as to what was to happen next.

With a serious look, Elrond took hold of one of Arwen’s hands and placed it within the one that Haldir had begun to offer. He then placed his own hands around theirs, looking from one to the other, and then with a slight squeeze – an obvious sign of approval – the elven lord dropped his hands to his sides and stepped away.

“I worry you are a dream, but in my dreams, you never came.” Not the most romantic words, but they were words he needed to say. As were the next ones he said. “But I never lost hope.”

Arwen relaxed in Haldir’s arms as he held her. “I was torn between two worlds; I-“

Haldir made it unnecessary for her to continue. As his lips played against hers, he uncaring of those who looked on, he knew, his would not be a marriage of necessity and politics, as had her one to Aragorn been. Obviously, the man had loved Arwen deeply, and she him, but there had been other reasons for it. Haldir had only one reason for the need he felt.

- - -

Near to the ship, Legolas took one last longing look at it and then sighed. This was the last one; the last ship that would sail to Valinor. In his heart he knew this. Hanging his head in sadness, he turned to leave the beach.

“Did you forget about me already, little prince?”

Legolas halted, his heart beginning to race. Could it simply be his mind playing tricks on him? “Nay, my princess, I had not. In fact, I have not once been able to put you out of my mind since coming to these shores. I did not expect you to come.”

“Well, I did say no when you asked a few months ago,” admitted Elodien, approaching the blond elf with his back still turned to her. “But, things have changed. I realized how much I love you.”

Unable to control the smile on his lips, Legolas turned to face her. “And I-“ His eyes strayed away from her face, in a pleasant sort of shock. “And I, you,” he finished, gently taking her into his arms. “My word...” he said in awe, placing his hand upon the soft curve of her swelling stomach.

“Congratulations are in order I believe,” whispered Erestor as he passed by.

“And not to rush things,” added Glorfindel to Legolas, “but you may want to consider getting married before Elrond finds out you impregnated his granddaughter without be wed to her first.”