Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“I packed extra clothing this time, because last time he apparently did not have enough shirts.”

“I assure you, you packed more than enough during his last time here, however, I thought it only proper for me to provide some of the necessities of his wellbeing.” Looking down at the two crates that had just been unpacked and set upon the ground by Celeborn, Erestor narrowed his eyes. “What are those?”

“Lembas,” grumbled the Sinda, giving Erestor one of THOSE looks. One of those, ‘I can’t believe she did it, either’, looks, but of course, it was not Celeborn who would say anything.

With a deep breath and a withheld sigh, Erestor shook his head. “Artanis, you know you have no need of bringing food. I will remember to feed him!”

“Hush, Erestor. I think it rather inappropriate to argue in front of him,” answered Galadriel, retying rope on the saddlebags.

Shifting his weight, and consequently Haldir to the other side as well, Erestor continued to protest. “I know you worry about him, but it is like an insult to Elrond. There is more than enough food here in Imladris to feed him.”

“He likes lembas. I did not expect him to eat all of it, either; I am sure there are others who will have some as well.”

Another look was exchanged between Erestor and Celeborn – the ‘right, as if we believe that cover-up’ look. Glorfindel came around from the back of the wagon that had been used on the journey from Lothlorien to Imladris. “I do believe everything Haldir needs is off the back. Did I hear correctly that Celebrian is staying for the duration as well?”

“Aye, she is,” nodded Celeborn. The wise ellon, who had kept his fatherly gaze in check over the past half-hour, now glanced over at his daughter, flirting discretely with the lord of the realm as he smiled giddily and even blushed now and again. “We shall have an empty tree when we return.”

“Only for a few years,” Galadriel reminded him, though a smirk tugged at the corners of her mouth. Perhaps the tree would not be empty for quite so long. “Come, let us say our farewells to Celebrian.”

As soon as the pair was out of earshot, Erestor looked down at his son and smiled. “How was your trip, pen-neth? Adventurous?”

“We saw bears,” answered the elfling, snuggling against soft velvet of his Imladris daddy’s robes. “Nana’s horse got stuck in the mud, too.”

Erestor pursed his lips and tried not to laugh, but the snort that Glorfindel let out only made matters worse when he did finally give in to the urge. Haldir’s giggles rose up between them, until suddenly, Lady Galadriel walked back with an arched brow and said, “It was my horse in the mud, not me.” This only made them laugh harder.

“Be good. Listen to your father. No staying up too late, either,” Galadriel half-scolded, having had a most difficult time getting Haldir back on a good sleep schedule once he had returned from his last visit.

“Yes, ma’am,” said Glorfindel, to which he was answered, “Oh, do not think that I do not know you are the real troublemaker.”

“Take care of yourselves,” offered Celeborn, and then to Haldir said, “May I have a hug before I leave?”

“You will come back?” questioned Haldir.

“Next summer – fifteen months,” Celeborn assured him. “Just for a visit, and then in three years – that is thirty-six months, that is when you will travel to see us.”

“Maemae,” he answered, then held his little arms out to receive a hug from Celeborn. “Love you!”

“I love you, too, Haldir.” Celeborn moved aside to make room for his wife.

This was always the worst part of the parting, no matter if it was Galadriel bringing Haldir to Imladris, or if it was Erestor returning him to Lothlorien. “Listen to your father. And to Glorfindel. And Lord Elrond. And your sister,” added Galadriel for good measure.

“Yes, nana. I will, nana.” Haldir was promptly snuggled and kissed and fussed over until Celeborn coaxed Galadriel back a pace. Then Haldir repeated the same sentiments he had for Celeborn, causing the cycle of snuggling and fussing, and now sniffling, to start anew.

When finally the last ‘Namarie, Nana, Namarie, Ada!’ echoed across the courtyard, Haldir let out a sigh.

“Are you alright ion-nin?” asked Erestor. Haldir nodded. “Are you tired; would you like to take a nap?” Haldir shook his head – as if any child was going to agree with the suggestion of a nap. “Would you like to have something to eat?” Another shake of his curly blond hair. “What would you like to do?” Haldir shrugged.

“One of the horses just had a baby a few days ago,” said Glorfindel. “If you would like, we could-“

“Haldir!” The ellin and elfling looked suddenly over to where Celebrian and Elrond were standing. “Haldir, Lord Elrond says that he has some new illustrated books in the library! Would you like to go with us to see them?”

“New books! Oh, aiya, yes, please!” Haldir was promptly set upon the ground by his father, who was given a hasty hug about the knees. Glorfindel received a hug around his legs as well before Haldir ran to his sister, grabbing one of her hands in one of his, and placing his other hand in the one that Lord Elrond offered him. “I will be back for supper, Daddy!” he called after him.

“We will know where to find you!” Erestor called after him. He stood there for some time, even after his son had hopped up the stairs of the Last Homely House and disappeared inside.

It was the voice of his cheeky young lover that jolted his from his reverie. “Now, aren’t you glad I told everyone that you are his father when I did?”

Erestor glanced sidelong over at Glorfindel. “It does mean that for the next three years, you will need to restrain yourself when we retire for the evening.”

“Completely worth it to see the look in your eyes each night when you tuck him in,” answered Glorfindel with a smile.