Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Elrond took Glorfindel to Celebrian, not wanting Glorfindel to walk in on what was sure to be an unpleasant discussion. He took a few minutes to explain the situation, and made the suggestion that the pair should either go for a walk, or a ride, or some such thing to keep Glorfindel out of the house.

As Elrond headed back down through the house, he knocked on each door to check for inhabitants. Everyone was sent off on tasks that would take some time to complete. No one questioned him, but Elladan did grin and ask, “Are you going to yell at Erestor?”

“I... we are going to have a talk.”

“Oh... sure, of course,” nodded Elladan, knowing well from his childhood that ‘having a talk’ was really code for ‘getting a lecture’. “Well, he deserves to ‘have a talk’... damn, I wish I could see his face.”

“Elladan, if you do not heed my advice immediately—“

“—then I will be subject to having a talk with you,” finished his eldest. “Well, good luck.”

By the time Elrond reached the door to the room that Erestor and Glorfindel shared, he was confident that he had to put his foot down in regards to Erestor’s behavior. Understandably, Erestor had had many hardships in his life – it was not, however, an excuse for his treatment of Glorfindel, unintentional or otherwise. Elrond hesitated just as he was about to knock on the door. If he knocked, he put the ball immediately into Erestor’s court by forewarning him.

It was necessary for Elrond to take charge of the conversation, and for there to be one and only one such intervention. Not only for Glorfindel’s sake, but for the wellbeing of everyone living in the house. There were no locks on the doors, so Elrond invited himself right in and let the door swing open and slam against the wall. Erestor had been brooding in the rocker in the corner, and he began to stand up.

“Sit down,” demanded Elrond, pointing for emphasis. Erestor blinked in surprise, but lowered himself down into the chair. “Your behavior is reprehensible.”

“I—“

“You are not at liberty to speak.” Elrond took up the same stance Erestor had earlier. Although Elrond was closer to Glorfindel’s height, he still managed the same effect with Erestor seated. “To say I am disappointed is an understatement of colossal proportion. You have no idea how much Glorfindel adores you, and how much it hurts him when you do some foolish thing like you did today.”

“You have no idea what went on. You were not there,” argued Erestor.

“I was right in the parlor with the two of you!” Elrond put his hands on the arms of the rocker so that Erestor was unable to get up, and stared him square in the face. “I am not talking about whatever led to your dispute, I am talking about how you deal with them. You would do well to take a lesson from myself and Celebrian.”

“You and Celebrian have been together so long, you do not have arguments anymore.”

“When can you recall my wife and I ever having an argument.”

Erestor contemplated the question much longer than he expected to need to. “I cannot recall the last time, but—“

“That is because we have the decency not to argue in public. We have the intelligence to talk things out like two adults.”

Although Erestor could not move away from Elrond, he was able to turn his head away and look at the wall. “I would appreciate it if you would not meddle in my personal affairs.”

“You have made your personal affairs quite public,” Elrond reminded him. “So public in fact, I am very close to evicting you from my house.”

“There is no reason to punish Glorfindel for my temper.”

“Did I say Glorfindel? I said you,” repeated Elrond pointedly. Now, Erestor did look back at him. “Your temper is indeed an issue in all of this. I think we need to get to the root of the problem. Unless I am mistaken, each and every one of these disputes really comes down to how you treat him. He absolutely adores you and worships the very ground you walk upon. In return, you treat him as if he is beneath you.”

“I do not. I completely respect him.”

“Have you ever listened to yourself talk? Have you ever really, really listened to what you say?” Elrond shifted his feet, his back getting sore from hovering the way he was. He wondered how Erestor managed these ridiculous stances. “You tell him his preference is perfectly normal, that there is nothing for him to be ashamed of. Then, you turn around and state when someone questions your relationship that you are practically straight as an arrow. I call a horse a horse; I call a dog a dog – and although you might call yourself what you like, that does not change the fact that you sleep with and are married to another ellon.”

Elrond expected a quick comeback. What he never expected was for Erestor to bow his head and nod remorsefully. “You are right.”

“Damn right I am!” Elrond stood up again, not wanting to lose the momentum. “I hope you wise up and figure out just how good you have it. He loves you. I do not know if I can say the reverse. I am well aware of the fact that there are a number of pretty young things who strut around Valimar basking in compliments that are paid to them. There is no reason for you to look at them, speak to them, touch them, flirt with them – whatever it is you are doing, if you want to keep the one who desires you the way you seem to crave these young ladies, stop it. I would not blame him if he left you – not for a moment.”

“I know, I know,” mumbled Erestor in agreement. “He deserves better.”

“He does. And for all he has been through for you, he deserves at the very least a very sincere and heartfelt apology – not the sort of apology filled with loopholes or clauses. If I hear ‘I am sorry, but...’, so help me, Erestor, you do not want to know what I am capable of doing.”

Erestor nodded meekly again.

“While we are on the topic,” added Elrond, his voice still raised, “I am going to say this once and not expect to need to repeat myself. Galadriel is not yours. I know that the two of you have resolved things, but I never want to worry that it might come up again later. This is done. Over. Finished. Understand?”

Again, Erestor nodded.

“How would you feel if he brought up Gildor repeatedly? What if, ever now and then, he brought up their relationship and pined for him and cried to you about it? Just how would you feel about that?” When Erestor did not answer Elrond, he took hold of his chin forcefully and made him look up. “How would you feel?”

“Bad,” whispered Erestor. His hands were folded in his lap, shaking slightly.

Elrond’s goal was not to cause Erestor to break down, but if that was what it took, that was what he would do. “How do you think he feels every time you bring up someone? Galadriel or Aredhel or any of the dozen others?”

“Bad,” he repeated.

“He hurts! He aches – he is confused! He feels he must support you, and make you feel better, but it makes him feel terrible! You need to learn to let go of the past, because that is the only way you are going to be able to move forward. And if there are any more surprises – any other little secrets you are keeping from him – you would be wise to reveal them now.”

Erestor swallowed hard, nodded once more, and bowed his head when Elrond let go of his chin. “May I be excused?”

There was more Elrond wished to say – actually, he wanted to grab Erestor by the shoulders and shake some sense into him – but for now, it seemed to be enough. There was only so much for him to do; Erestor and Glorfindel needed to do the rest. “Go on. Go talk to him.” Elrond moved aside and Erestor stood up slowly. “He is in the stable with Celebrian.”

When Erestor left, Elrond dropped down onto the chair. Now that his part was over, he felt himself tremble. It was not often one yelled at a Vala and won. He hoped there was still some brandy left in his office.