Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Erestor stood outside of the stable, listening to the conversation within. He was waiting for a break, or for the opportune time to enter, but Celebrian was dominating the discussion and Erestor had a hard time with the idea of simply strolling in and sitting down to chat.

He circled around the stable twice, avoiding passing the open doorway. Elrond’s words were haunting him, and he feared that making everything known as suggested would be the final straw that would push Glorfindel away. Deep in his thoughts, he missed avoiding a twig he had not previously noticed. As it cracked underfoot, he knew he would be found out, and he moved to the doorway.

It was Celebrian who greeted him. “I thought I heard something – look who is here!” Celebrian looped her arm around Erestor’s and brought him into the stable, whether he wished to be there or not. “You know, I think it is just about time for me to return to the house and start work on dinner,” she said, leaving the pair alone in the stable.

Erestor watched Glorfindel as he sadly brushed the coat of one of the horses. He lifted his hand in greeting, but when Glorfindel did not return the gesture, Erestor lowered it again. There was no smile on the blond’s face, none of the usual joy he was so used to seeing. Erestor flipped an empty pail over and set it down against the wall. He sat down quietly and waited for further acknowledgement. Glorfindel simply continued to comb through the mare’s coat, and when he did not give Erestor any recognition, Erestor said, “I bet you are mad at me.”

“You think?” Glorfindel continued his task, plaited the horse’s tail, and brushed her mane without saying anything more. Erestor spent the time sitting on the bucket – which was quite uncomfortable – and thinking of the proper way to apologize. When Glorfindel set the brush down, he turned and found Erestor still sitting on the bucket. “Are you still here?”

“I think so.” Erestor fumbled with the edge of his sleeve. “Do you want me to leave?”

“Do you want to leave?”

Erestor shook his head. “No.” His voice was the same small one that he had used earlier after Elrond had taken to shouting at him.

“So why are you here?”

“I... I came to apologize.”

Glorfindel crossed his arms over his chest and waited. “Well?”

“I am sorry that I hurt your feelings. I am sorry I hurt you.”

“Is that all?”

Erestor wrung his hands. “I promise never to do it again. And... and I beg you to forgive me.”

Glorfindel stared down at Erestor until Erestor could no longer bear it and looked away. “How can you promise something like that? You have no idea what you have done, or else, you would not have done it.”

“I do flirt with them. I know I do. I—I thought I had to,” muttered Erestor. “I thought... I have been doing it for so long, I just got so used to it.”

“If I see you flirting with any of them again, so help me...” Glorfindel sighed. “Do you see what this does to me? I love you too damn much to be mad at you, but it is tearing me apart!”

“I know... I know, I am sorry... if I could take it all back...” Erestor lifted his arms up and dropped them down helplessly. “I have been so stupid.”

“I was going to go with foolish, but if you prefer, yes, you have been an idiot.” Glorfindel found another empty bucket and brought it over. “Of course, I am going to forgive you. Of course, I am going to give you second and third chances if it turns out you are unable to keep your eyes from roving and your lips from saying things that I wish you were saying to me. I love you too much not to, darling, but I wish you paid more attention to me.” He leaned over and gently kissed Erestor’s cheek.

“I cannot keep doing this,” whispered Erestor. He had closed his eyes to keep himself from crying. “Glorfindel, I have to admit something to you. I hope you can forgive me, because I... I have been so cruel for so long not to say anything.”

“You are no longer in love with me?” guessed Glorfindel.

“No, I love you... I really do love you, Glorfindel, but...”

Glorfindel took a deep breath. “This... relationship... just does not work for you, does it? I mean, I suppose I understand. I took a huge risk, really. We both did.”

“We did, but I am glad we did. I am happier than I have ever been. You misunderstand me, Glorfindel.” Erestor folded his hands together and opened his eyes. He blinked furiously to keep the tears at bay. “Some people say that opposite attract.”

“Yes, they do,” agreed Glorfindel, somewhat confused.

“Well... we are lucky, really. You and I, we are both intelligent – you are smarter than I am, even if you let me believe otherwise at times. Both of us are creative – you like to paint, and I have my poetry. We like to ride and race horses, we like to hike and take walks... you might say we are perfectly matched.”

“Except, you would rather be with a ellyth instead of an ellon,” said Glorfindel in a calm, accepting voice.

Erestor stared across the stable at the wall. He heard Glorfindel shift and stand up, and shuffle his feet to the door. “No,” he said softly.

Glorfindel turned back around. “What do you mean, no? I know about all of the ladies you were with – even the ones you never actually told me about. Just your time with Galadriel was enough to figure that out.”

“There was someone before her.”

Dumbfounded, Glorfindel returned. “Who was she?”

“He,” answered Erestor, still staring across the stable.