Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Dark told me about a dream she had… a dream that she and I wrote a story together while at Webbs. (I got to growl at the waitress, heh).
Elrond sat back and pinched the bridge of his nose when he heard a knock on his study door. Taking a deep breath, he called out, "Tul!"

When the door opened, he smiled and gestured to the chair before his desk. "Ahh, Glorfindel, saes, havo dad."

"What do you need, Elrond? I have work to do,” replied the slayer.

Narrowing his eyes, the Rivendell lord firmly pointed to the chair. "Havo!"

Once Glorfindel was sitting, Elrond got up and began to pace. "You are in need of time off, Findel. You work to much and...”

"Elrond, I..."

"Quiet, Findel. If you interrupt me again I will have you bound and gagged to that chair!"

Glorfindel sighed. "Aye, Elrond."

Resuming his pacing, Elrond clasped his hands behind his back. "As I was saying... you have often mentioned how you like to relax under the stars and such, so I am telling you now- you are hence forth released of duty. I want you to go and relax."

"But, Elrond..."

"Have a nice time,” added Elrond.

"Elrond, you..." protested Glorfindel again.

"If you find any interesting herbs while you are on your vacation, bring some back," said the Peredhel as he walked to the door.

"Tul now, Elrond, you can not be serious!"

Elrond arched his brow and opened the door to his study. "Out, and return less cranky... elves are not suppose to be cranky, Findel. Go and have some fun."

Once Glorfindel left the study, he mumbled as he made his way to his chamber. Grumbling to himself, he said in a low voice, “Me, cranky? Look in a mirror sometime, you Peredhil warg-humper." He continued to grumble as he walked.

"Who is humping wargs?"

Glorfindel spun around, then cleared his throat. "Oh, good morning, Melpomaen."

The young scribe smiled brightly. "And good morning to you, my lord. Where are you off to?"

Trying hard not to reach out and strangle the perpetually gleeful youth, Glorfindel sighed. "I am to take a vacation."

"Oh! How wonderful! Have a splendid time!" offered Melpomaen.

The seneschal slowly turned as he took a deep breath. "Hannon le," he said in return, and then resumed his way to his chamber.

Halfway there, he stopped and growled when he heard two excited voices.

"Glorfindel!" came the dual greeting.

"Elladan? Elrohir?"

The elder twin smiled and lightly smacked the slayers shoulder. "Adar says you are going on vacation!"

Elrohir then stepped forward. "Is it true?"

Glorfindel groaned to himself. "Aye, ‘tis true... he is forcing me to do so."

"Forcing? Why would you have to be forced!" laughed Elladan.

The younger twin nodded. "Aye, vacations are fun!"

Glorfindel narrowed his eyes. "For some. Now what do you two need?"

The twins exchanged a look, then smiled. "Bring something back for us! Something soft and warm, a blanket perhaps," they answered in one voice.

Not surprised, the seneschal shook his head. "I will see what I can do."

Resuming his path to his chamber, the blond warrior growled under his breath. "Bring back something soft and warm, ay? Humph... well, I am sure that Asfaloth will need to relieve himself at some point on the return home."

Finally reaching his chamber, Glorfindel stopped dead and dropped his jaw. His chamber door was bolted shut, several strips of wood were nailed to bar entry, and his satchel was sitting on the ground with a note attached. Grabbing the note, the blond warrior began to read:


---------
Glorfindel,
I said go on vacation! Now! Go on, get going, you stubborn old warrior!

~*//*~ Elrond ~*//*~
---------


The seneschal released a low growl. "You and your fancy flourishes when you sign your... argah! Fine!"

Once he reached the stables, he went straight for his friend’s stall. "Tul, Asfaloth, we are going to camp for a bit."

The great stallion blinked, and then looked at his full food trough and warm hay.

Grabbing his sword and sleep satchel, Glorfindel mounted and then clicked and gave a gentle nudge with his heals. Remaining in place, Asfaloth looked back over to his food.

Sighing, Glorfindel got down, shoved his friend’s food into a bag, then tied it to his bedroll. "Alright now, let us go."

Finally past the borders of Rivendell, Glorfindel slowed Asfaloth and scratched his friend’s neck. "Alright, we are now past the inner border. Let us find a nice stream and I will make a fire. We will not leave Imladris, if I am needed, we need to be easy to find."

As they made their way, Glorfindel suddenly sucked in his breath and tried to distract his friend’s gaze, but it was too late. There, right before them, was a fluffy, cuddly, tiny little kitten.

"Oh, no,” whispered Glorfindel, hoping Asfaloth did not notice.

"Mew."

Holding on for dear life, Glorfindel yelled only minutes later, "Slow down, Asfaloth! The kitten is gone now! We are more then a mile away from it! Daro! Daro, Daro, Daro!"

Asfaloth suddenly skidded to a halt, causing Glorfindel to fly over his head and into the tree before them.

Slowly getting up, the seneschal growled "How can you be so frightened of a tiny kitten! You have been through many battles with wargs, trolls, orcs, and the like... yet a small kitten sends you into panic? Help me understand this, my friend."

Asfaloth shook his head, and then walked over to the nearby stream.

Glorfindel looked around, then placed his hands on his hips. "You have taken us to the hidden glade, could we be anywhere more remote?!" With a sigh, Glorfindel said, "Well, at least there is a stream, and trees."

Grabbing his satchel, Glorfindel set it up close to the stream in preparation of fishing, then returned to his friend and grabbed the rough canvas and spread it out to air before he set up. He then grumbled when he realized that he had grabbed a small tent. "Wonderful... oh wonderful, my lord, have a splendid time... vacations are fun, Glorfindel! Blah blah blah..."

Asfaloth looked at his friend. Sensing how his mood was getting worse, the stallion began to think about the stables... his warm dry, hay, plenty of food... the new mare that was placed in the stall next to his…

Glorfindel spun around when he heard his friend take off and yelled, "Asfaloth! Come back here, you still have my weapons!!"

Realizing that his friend was not coming back, Glorfindel took stock of what he had. "A tent that is too small, my fishing gear, an extra set of clothes, a bundle of lembas... and No weapons."