Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Getting the darkling into the house was not as difficult as Glorfindel had imagined. Although the steps were an interesting challenge at first, his wild companion soon mastered the stairs. It was when they came in contact with the first of the house's inhabitants that the trouble started.



"Glorfindel! I told you to take a nice, long-"



~Grrraaaahhhhlllnnn!~



Elrond took his hand from Glorfindel's shoulder and jumped back. "My goodness!" With eyes wide and a fearful look, the elf-lord asked, "Did he just try to bite me?"



In answer, the wild ellon snapped his jaw again, and continued to growl as he made a show of rubbing himself against Glorfindel. As one of the wily one's legs was bent up and curled around Glorfindel's waist, the blond remembered that there was nothing beneath the shirt to cover him, and gently pushed his lover's leg down. The whole time, the dark one kept his eyes trained on Elrond, snarling softly before turning his attention to Glorfindel.



"What... is that?" questioned Elrond, for although it seemed a very peculiar elf, there was always a possibility that Glorfindel had stumbled upon a hybrid of some sort, or perhaps a very tame and somewhat pretty looking orc.



"My souvenir," he said as Elrohir and Elladan came rushing around the corner, having heard the voice of their father's good friend from down the hallway. "Stay back," he warned them as they approached.



Elladan spoke first. "Is that an Avari?"



"No, children- well, perhaps," their father said. As soon as Elrond's voice quieted the others, the growling started once more.



"I do not think he likes you, Ada," snickered Elrohir.



"He is just nervous being around new people," Elrond assured his son. With a warm smile, the ellon tried to approach again. "Mae govannen," he began, holding out a hand. He withdrew it quickly. "Alright, that time, he did bite me!" shouted Elrond, holding his injured hand in the other. As he examined it and found it would merely be a bit bruised, he demanded, "Glorfindel, I repeat, what is that?"



Glorfindel paused in cooing to his companion and scolding him gently for nipping at the elf-lord. "An elf. What did you think he was?"



"Have you noticed he seems a little mad?" returned Elrond as Elladan reached a hand out, only to be sniffed and snuffled by the wild one. Elrond yanked his elder son's arm away, and the dark one snarled and tried to slap Elrond away from Elladan, but Glorfindel had a good grip on his lover and pulled him back.



"No, he is not mad, he is just wild. I found him in the forest; I had to bring him here."



With a sigh, Elrond shook his head. "I understand you think you are doing what is best for him, but some... things just cannot be tamed. You should probably take him back before he hurts someone. Then what am I to do?"



Knowing he would still win the battle, Glorfindel carefully chose his words. "Alright," he nodded. "Just let me retrieve a few of my things first."



"What things?"



"I need weapons, clothes, just a few essentials," said Glorfindel as Elrohir snuck around the pair in the middle of the hallway, observing the wild creature. "Is my door still nailed shut?"



"Glorfindel, why do you need those things?" insisted Elrond.



Shrugging, Glorfindel said, "Well, he will simply follow me if I try to come back to get them myself. Better to get my things now before I leave."



"You plan to leave with him," stated Elrond.



"I thought that was obvious," Glorfindel said calmly. Elrohir glanced over, noting that his father was busy with Glorfindel. The young peredhel held out his hand to be snuffled, the sugar from his breakfast licked from his fingers.



"So, he is wild and you are- Elrohir, get over here!" Elrond pointed at the space beside him as his son sheepishly gave an apologetic look at the wild ellon and stepped away. "And you are mad," Elrond finished.



"Mad, yes, I suppose I am," replied Glorfindel. "Mad in love. Now, will you help me-"



Elrond's eyes practically burst from their sockets. "Excuse me, what did you say?"



"What? When?" Glorfindel absently pressed a kiss to the top of the darkling's head. He received a nuzzle and a purr in return.



For a few moments, Elrond shifted his gaze from Glorfindel to the wild creature and back again. "You love him?"



"I certainly hope so. A little late to consider such a thing after one has been bound to another."



At a loss for words, Elrond simply stared. Elladan interrupted the silence by nudging his brother. "This is going to occupy his mind for weeks. There will never be a better time than now to tell Ada we ruined the rug in the sitting room."



"Ada," began Elrohir, "remember that jar of black ink you could not find yesterday?"



"Not.. not now, boys." Elrond placed his hand upon his forehead and rubbed at the headache that was coming on. "Glorfindel, you cannot really- did you really bond to him?"



"I have," Glorfindel confirmed with a nod. The sounds of someone else approaching from around the corner made Glorfindel draw his dark lover tightly to him.



"Is that Glorfindel I hear?" The voice and the footsteps belonged to Lady Celebrian, and in her arms was little Arwen. "It is! Look who came home from vacation! Can you welcome Glorfindel back, Arwen?"



The young one waved her hand wildly. "Welcome home, Unca Findel!" Arwen spied the wild ellon before her mother did. "Puppy!" she shouted, and clapped her hands.



"Nnnnno, not a puppy, Arwen," warned Elrond. He held up a hand. "Stay there, Bria," he directed his wife. "It is a W-I-L-D E-L-F," he explained.



Giving her husband a slightly annoyed look, Celebrian said, "Yes, I know. We had a few like this that would wander around the borders of Lothlorien. Very harmless, actually, once they trust you." Celebrian came closer, holding out her hand, allowing the darkling to snuffle her palm. Elrond looked on warily.



The wild one released the fierce hold he had on Glorfindel and nuzzled his nosed against the sleeve of Celebrian's dress. Just as Elrond was about to come forward to 'protect' his wife, Arwen gave a little squeal of delight. She squirmed and reached over, petting the dark one's head. "Puppy!" she shrieked again.



A few feet away, the twins began to snicker and chortle. "Yes, Arwen, 'tis a puppy!" managed Elladan before he and his brother began to laugh again.



"No, it is NOT a puppy," growled Elrond, who was in turn growled at by the wild creature. "Fine, call him a puppy, see if I care," muttered the elf-lord. Clearing his throat, he said, "If you have bound to him, he cannot be completely wild. He may stay if you take responsibility for him," Elrond finally decided.



Smiling, Glorfindel nodded. "Thank you, Elrond. And since you wished me to take an extended vacation, would it be alright for me to spend the rest of my time off here in the valley? I promise not to engage in work of any kind," said Glorfindel as he watched his wild lover snuggle his cheek against Arwen's hand before receiving another pat on the head.



"Yes, of course. And keep an eye on... him," Elrond insisted, waving his hand toward the darkling. "If he is going to stay here, you will need to find more suitable clothing for him. And a bath- he is going to need a bath."



"That is quite a tall order, my dear," said Celebrian, walking to her husband. Holding out Arwen, she said, "Would you mind terribly watching her for the rest of the afternoon so I might aid Glorfindel in cleaning up his mate and finding something for our newest resident to wear?"



Elrond gladly took Arwen into his arms, happy to have her safely with him and away from the wild creature in the hallway. "Shall I send a soldier or two just in case you need them?" he asked.



"Please, no," she answered. "I really will be alright, I promise. Besides, Glorfindel will be there- there is no better warrior in the valley, save you, dearest," Celebrian added, giving her husband a kiss. Their sons made the appropriate kissy noises to tease their parents. Ignoring their male offspring, Celebrian gave Arwen a kiss on the cheek and received one in return. "Besides, I would suggest you help Glorfindel, but I get the feeling his lover does not like you much."



"That was obvious to you as well?" sighed Elrond as he left around the corner, ushering the twins along with him.



"Well, then!" Celebrian smiled. "Shall we?"



Uneasily, Glorfindel nodded, while the ellon still clung to his arm, leaving small red marks where his fingers gripped too tightly. Best as he could, Glorfindel tried to explain, with thoughts and feelings, what exactly a bath was while Celebrian waved one of her handmaids over who happened down the hall. The wild one, wary as ever of all the newness, held tighter to Glorfindel as his breathing came quicker.



After whispering a few things to the maiden, Celebrian dismissed the young elleth, who hurried down the corridor. "I shall aid you," offered Celebrian gently, noting the look of terror in the wild ellon's eyes. "We can use the private bath Elrond and I have. Follow me."