Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Haldir waited patiently at the door until Lord Elrond finally finished checking over the document he had been reading and acknowledged the young elf. "Excuse me, Lord Elrond, but I am trying to locate Master Erestor. I was directed here by one of the grooms in the stables. Have you seen him?"

Lord Elrond contemplated the answer as he dipped his quill into the pot of ink and signed the parchment before him. "I have not seen him since last night at supper, though he was here this morning to leave these papers with me. If it is urgent-"

"No, not at all," Haldir said quickly. He had learned early on that if someone of important in the house was needed with great urgency, there was a bell that was rung. The low clang would sound across the valley, and the number of times it rang determined who was being summoned. Erestor was three, but never had he heard the bell rung thrice. It seemed an insult to call the elf in such a manner when it was likely he was only hiding behind a stack of books or resting in the gardens. "Thank you for your time," he added, exiting the room.

Haldir frowned as he walked swiftly down the corridor. His time in Imladris under the tuteledge of Master Erestor had been extremely worthwhile in the short time he had been living in the realm. Though he was unadmittedly homesick, he immensely enjoyed the lessons in Westron, Dwarvish, and other tongues lesser-known in the Golden Woods.

His time was soon coming that he would be able to test the new knowledge, for a conference regarding health and healing was being hosted in the realm. He would sit at Master Erestor's side for the majority of the lectures the advisor was to give. Though it was Lord Elrond highly regarded for his abilities to heal the body and mind, he had heard from the staff over the last few days that Master Erestor was well-versed in the healing of the soul, and of spirtual health. Much of the terminology being thrown around the dinner table was new to Haldir, and he listened with great interest.

The conference would starting in less than a day, though nearly everyone had already arrived. He had been responsible for helping to greet some of the delegations with Master Erestor, but his true test would come on the days when he would be assigned to tour the groups that would arrive late. It would be then that he would be on his own, a representative of the Elves, and also of Imladris. When Lord Elrond had explained this to him, Haldir could have sworn he'd seen the slightest hint of pride in his arch nemesis' eyes.

With one day left, he had a more personal agenda. Clutching a small book in his hand, he ducked through a group of Elves from Mithlond, and then retraced his steps to properly greet them and excuse himself before rushing past once more in an attempt to find Master Erestor.

Down the hallway, his eye caught an elf with long, dark hair walking up the stairway and he sped his steps despite the fact that the hallway was not empty.

"Haldir! Watch where you're going!"

"Sorry!" he called apologetically over his shoulder after nearly knocking Nenniach over, but he continued on his path. Grasping the bannister, he propelled himself forward, nearly tumbling onto the steps at first before running up around the winding stairs fast as he could. He looked to his left when he stepped out onto the landing, for the hallway continued in that direction. He was disappointed to see no one there. When he looked to his left, he was startled to see the elf whom he thought was Master Erestor was indeed not Master Erestor.

At first he thought he might escape back the way he had come, but he was noticed as soon as he had taken the first step below. The dark- haired elf from Mirkwood with the bright smile ceased his conversation with the grouchy elf from Mirkwood and stepped forward. "Máravë omentaina," he said, and then to the surprise of both Haldir and the grouchy elf, said, "Mae govannen."

"M-m-Máravë om-men-taina," managed Haldir, which received an approving smile from the dark-haired elf. For a moment, he could think of nothing else to say, but then his purpose for finding Master Erestor came back to his mind. He had spent his freetime, what little there was, trying to learn how to apologize to the prince of Mirkwood for his mistake. Tightening his grip on the book as if he could read it through the binding, he began, "Áni apsenë, Herunya-" but was cut off by the dark-haired elf.

"Merin quetë," said the prince. Haldir looked back with wide eyes, but then suddenly the phrase was repeated, in Quenya.

"I wish to speak," said the grouchy elf, though he was really not the one communicating. For the next few minutes Haldir watched the prince while listening to the translations given nearly simultaneously by the elf beside him. "When we arrived, I did not know you to be Lord Celeborn's son, I thought you one of Lord Elrond's pages. I regret my mistake, though as the past cannot be changed, let us begin anew instead. My name is Ilmendin. What is your name?" These words came just after Prince Ilmendin said, "Essenya Ilmendin. Mana esselya?"

"Es-sen-ya Haldir," replied the young elf rather slowly.

"Máravë carna," complimented Prince Ilmendin as the grouchy elf, who didn't seem so grouchy now, said, "Well done."

Haldir let out a sigh of relief, and Prince Ilmendin chuckled. He opened his mouth again, but with the exception of the few lines he had memorized and what had just been said, he had no way of speaking to Prince Ilmendin and making any sense. The third elf cleared his throat, and when Haldir finally looked at him, said in Sindarin, "I can translate to him for you just as I translate for him."

"Thank you," said Haldir, trying to decide what to say. The elf bowed his head a little and introduced himself during what would have been an awkward pause, but in all the information of titles and heraldry that was given, all Haldir recalled was the name Thaladir and his position as Seneschal and Chief Counselor. Haldir was impressed that one elf fullfilled the duties in Mirkwood that it took two elves to accomplish in Imladris, and he must have looked that was as well, for the slightest smile graced Lord Thaladir's lips.

When at last all introductions had been made, Haldir said, "Would you be so kind as to tell me what you asked of me the other day? I feel terrible that I was unable to answer your questions."

After Lord Thaladir had translated to Prince Ilmendin, the prince smiled and repeated what he had asked, "Man nalyë? Ma quetil i lambe Quenya? Ma hanyalyen?" Lord Thaladir then said in Sindarin, "Who are you? Do you speak Quenya? Do you understand me?"

Reddening a little, Haldir replied, "I suppose it's rather irrelevant to answer those questions now." Prince Ilmendin chuckled and would have answered had a small group of menfolk not come up the stairs.

The Men raised their hands in greeting. "Good noon," said Haldir as he bowed his head at the same time Prince Ilmendin regarded them with, "A pleasent day to all of you."

The Men offered their greetings and continued past, but the two elves stood looking at each other in complete shock. At the same time, they both asked, "You speak Westron?"

The next few hours were spent standing in the hallway chattering away in a language that was the native tongue of neither elf, and yet, they both felt they had gained a greater understanding of the other and their culture when they parted. Lord Thaladir had excused himself from their conversation long ago, and Haldir decided to walk down the corridor he had not explored rather than go back down the stairs to the floor below, as was Prince Ilmendin's destination.

As Haldir approached the other end of the corridor, he heard whispered voices, and turned to retrace his steps. A familiar voice called out that he should not go, and he came closer to the alcove he had not noticed earlier.

Sitting on a window ledge, hidden from view of those who would have glanced down the hallway, were Master Erestor and Lord Thaladir. Lord Thaladir gave Haldir a simple nod that the young elf returned. Sitting beside him in a less proper manner was Master Erestor, whose legs were crossed. He had a scroll of parchment spread across his robe from one knee to the other. The robe was tightly stretched, creating a sort of table for him to work at as Lord Thaladir began to speak again.

"In Sindarin, if you like," said Master Erestor. "There is no threat if Haldir knows."

Lord Thaladir resumed their conversation once more, still speaking softly. "He told me that if you ever want to return, you are more than welcome to come home. He understands you enjoy keeping yourself busy with new projects, and if you want to open a school, he thinks it would be a wonderful idea."

"Things are more complicated now," answered Master Erestor. "It isn't just my pride anymore. There are many who rely on my being here."

"The realm will not crumble if you leave." Lord Thaladir waited for an answer, and when none was received, asked, "Or will it?"

Master Erestor paused in his work, resting the quill carefully on his leg. "Speaking as friends, and not as members of the delegations from Imladris and Mirkwood. And Lothlorien," he added, motioning to Haldir, who had remained silent, "things are not as well as he leads everyone to believe. While Mirkwood suffered in numbers from the battle, it was our treasury that suffered. Elrond thought it was his duty to Ereinion to take anyone who wanted to leave Lindon here rather than make them all go to Mithlond. Most of those who went to Mithlond sailed, we both know that. We have taken the brunt of the aftermath of the battle."

Lord Thaladir straightened a bit at these words but said nothing. Master Erestor placed a hand lightly on the other elf's shoulder. "I'm sorry, that was wrong of me to say. Your loss in Mirkwood was indeed greater than ours, but-" Sighing heavily, Master Erestor bowed his head. "Do you know how difficult it is to have to go to Men and Dwarves to beg funding for this school? Elrond does not understand fully how it will help us, but The Last Homely House is not as efficient as it once was, nor does it draw the crowds as it once did. The school will help. We need it."

"Perhaps I should have mentioned first King Thranduil's other offer," said Lord Thaladir. Master Erestor's hand dropped down away from the Mirkwood elf as he spoke. "He said that if your mind was set on this school, and if you were set on staying here, he would fund it fully."

"I cannot accept a loan, Thaladir," Master Erestor said. "We are already in debt to Lothlorien and Mithlond. I will not add Mirkwood to the list."

Haldir frowned to hear the name of his home listed, but still remained silent.

"It isn't a loan. It is a gift. Call it severence pay, if you must," suggested Lord Thaladir when Master Erestor laughed ruefully, shaking his head. "Think on it, at the least. I must bid you good night, for my lord wanders the halls at this late hour, and I know in my heart he is lost."

Master Erestor chuckled at this and said, "The prince still has no true sense of direction, does he? So unlike his father and brother."

"One cannot master everything," Lord Thaladir said sagely, and standing up, added, "That is advice even I have taken."

Master Erestor smiled and nodded. "You have given me much to think about. Peace to you this night, Thaladir."

"And to you, Erestor," answered Lord Thaladir. He bowed his head to Haldir and offered him farewells for the evening, which Haldir returned. When Lord Thaladir had gone, Master Erestor looked at the empty space on the ledge, and Haldir sat down.

Instead of bringing up matters recently mentioned, Master Erestor asked, "How did things go with Prince Ilmendin?"

"Very well, I must say. Did you know I was going to do that?"

"I was told that you had checked out a book on Quenya phrases from the library, so I had an idea you might. From what little drifted down the hall, it would seem you have much in common with Prince Ilmendin."

"We both like to talk," said Haldir. "Beyond that, things are different in Mirkwood than they are in Lothlorien."

"It would be a dull world if everything everwhere was the same," Master Erestor said, picking up his quill. "You still seem surprised that you were so well received."

Haldir nodded. "I truly thought I had offended them when I met them. Then tonight, I worried that I would say or do something foolish again."

"Those good of heart take no offense when those inexperienced try their best," Master Erestor offered.

Giving thought to these words, Haldir glanced over to see what Master Erestor was writing. There were rows of numbers, some of them black and some red, though the red appeared to outnumber the black. "Forgive my asking, but what of King Thranduil's offer?"

"I must think long and hard on it," Master Erestor told him, "but I think I will have little choice, lest I wish to see Imladris turn to ruin."

Conversation halted once again until Haldir ventured, "What about Lord Thaladir?"

"What about him?" questioned Master Erestor. "Do you still think him stern?"

"Actually," Haldir said, "he reminds me of someone." The young elf waited until Master Erestor gave him a sideways look and said, "He reminds me of you."

"Ah." Erestor's mouth pulled up into a smile, and he said, "Perhaps that is because he was the first of my pupils."

"Ever? Really?"

"Truly." Master Erestor dipped the quill back into the ink - the red ink - and set to work again.

"Would you tell me about him?" asked Haldir.

Master Erestor opened his mouth to answer and then shut it. For a moment, he sat in contemplation and then said, "No."

"No?" Haldir looked hurt, but Master Erestor answered by saying, "Why should I tell you about him when he's right here in Imladris for you to talk to?"

Haldir considered this briefly before hopping down from his perch and walking off in the direction Lord Thaladir had gone.

He ran back moments later to formally bid Master Erestor good night before resuming his search for Lord Thaladir.