Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
After breakfast, Feanor called a conference in his father’s library. Few were invited, but sitting in the room when the doors were closed and locked were Finwe’s three eldest sons, each of their eldest, and also Turgon and Maglor, who had chosen neutral locations near the windows to sit. Aranwe was there as well, and sat a bit awkwardly on a square stool next to a bookshelf. Fingon and Maedhros had taken up residence on the sofa, while Finwe was in his chair to oversee the situation. Finrod stood beside his grandfather, his hands folded behind his back. Finarfin and Fingolfin stood together near the door, while Feanor comfortably took a seat on a footstool near the fireplace.

“I think we all know why we are here,” stated Feanor once everyone was settled.

Finrod's hand went up.

“There is a reason for you to be here, too,” promised Feanor. Finrod lowered his hand and glanced over at Aranwe. Where the sons of Feanor and the sons and daughter of Fingolfin has decided to align themselves together, so too had the children of Finarfin decided upon an alignment, and it was with the only child of Findis. Aranwe only shrugged, often feeling a little left out of the environment – but not feeling any particular ill-will over it. “I would like for the discussion to open with a suggestion. I have a house located in the west; it is on the edge of the forest and used as a hunting lodge. You have all been there before. It is terribly neglected. A house that nice should be lived in.”

“Do you think that is where Aredhel and Celegorm are?” interrupted Fingolfin. He was a little less huffy than the previous day, but still gave his older brother a number of accusatory looks.

Feanor made a dramatic show of looking around the room. “Do you see either of them here? It is impolite to speak of others behind their backs. This is not about them.”

“It should be – they are the ones missing. They are the immediate issue,” argued Fingolfin.

Finwe held up his hand as a signal to keep Feanor from disputing this further. “Fingolfin, I think we all must agree that they are both adults. Whatever they decide to do is up to them. You both had fifty years to be in control. They will return when they are ready to; they are safe, and can take care of themselves. We are here to talk about Fingon and Maedhros.”

“Actually,” laughed Feanor. “We are here to talk about Fingon and Maglor – I think the topic of Fingon and Maedhros is closed. As you have said, father, we had fifty years to teach them as we saw fit, and to rule over them as we desired. They have made a choice, and we, as their parents, should stand beside them on it.”

Fingolfin gave his brother a withering look. “I did not raise my son like this.”

“No, you did not,” agreed Feanor. “I think he was born that way. Just as you do not get to decide if the Valar give you a boy or a girl, you do not get to decide who they wish to partner with.”

“I meant, that he is with his cousin,” said Fingolfin pointedly. “I have accepted the fact of what he is; I am not sure this is proper.”

Feanor sighed heavily. “It would not be the first time cousins wed. I know for a fact this sort of behavior runs rampant within the Vanyarin families.”

Whether his comment was meant as an additional jab or not, Fingolfin bristled at the implications. Finrod coughed in order to gain the attention of those present. “If there is a point to all of this, other than watching my elders bicker like a pair of elflings, please do tell me.”

Those of the youngest generation in the room stifled laughter as their sires shot looks of displeasure at Finrod. Of all of the grandchildren of Finwe, Finrod was actually the eldest, for Finarfin and Earwen had their first child a year after their marriage and long before the others were thinking of starting families or even married. It meant that the age difference between Finrod and his father was less than the distance between any of the gaps between himself and his siblings. His introduction into the family had been much different, and as chief grandchild, there were times when he could say things that even Maedhros would not have dared say.

“Let us get back to the house on the edge of the forest,” said Finwe. “Feanor, there is a reason you have brought that up, I assume?”

“Yes. I think it would be a suitable residence for Fingon, as my understanding is that he will be joining the Red Fern team in a few weeks and will need a place nearby to stay. Obviously, it would be silly to have him ride from home every day.” Feanor further described the amenities of the house for those who may have forgotten. “My suggestion is for him to move in at his earliest convenience so that he has some time to get used to the house before his duties at the gym begin.”

“I suppose you want your son there, too,” said Fingolfin gruffly.

“I do,” said Feanor. He looked at Maglor. “You have expressed an interest in taking up a short apprenticeship as a minstrel. I have recently spoken to the proprietor of the Victorious Eagle, and he is more than happy to take you on, if you are willing.”

Maglor blinked in surprise. “Me?” He glanced at Maedhros, and back to his father. “I thought... well...”

“There are two bedrooms,” reminded Feanor. He smirked. “You thought I meant for Maedhros to go?” Maglor nodded. “No. He is in the midst of his apprenticeship; he cannot simply relocate at the moment.”

“But... that apprenticeship is with you,” said Finarfin. “You could break the contract if you wanted.”

“It is not my wish to do so,” said Feanor. “I have others apprenticed to me; my system is very precise. If one leaves, it places a gap. I take on a new apprentice every two years and each serves a term of thirty years. If he leaves, then he will fall back twelve years.”

“You could change that,” challenged Fingolfin. “What is to say you will not change your mind once we agree to your arrangement?”

Feanor laughed, a sound meant for himself. It was slightly patronizing. “I think you misunderstand my intentions. What do you think I am trying to do? I have no desire to have them play house together. I want what is best for them – Fingon should be out on his own for a while. Maedhros needs to finish his apprenticeship. I never change my mind once it is set, and my mind is set. Do you doubt me?”

Finarfin and Fingolfin were now whispering to one another in hushed voices. Finrod waited to see if either would respond, and then took the initiative. “I think it is a very generous offer. I also think it may be rushing things a little.”

Feanor shrugged. “There would be no rush, except that Fingon is now to join a gym that is far away from his home.”

“I think we should let the boys decide,” said Fingolfin pointedly.

Feanor smirked. “That is your trouble right there. Neither of them are boys, nor have they been for some time.”

Fingolfin straightened up rigidly. “You know what I mean.”

“Of course.” Feanor rolled his eyes and turned his head to look at Maglor. “What are your thoughts on the idea?”

Maglor shrugged slightly. “Sounds fine to me.”

“If you do not want to move to the house with your cousin, you do not have to,” said Feanor. “Or, if you would like to move there for a while and not apprentice with Rumil, you could just spend some time there for a little while.”

“Sure,” said Maglor.

“Think about it. No need to make a decision tonight.” Feanor turned to Fingon. “What about you, Fingon? It would be close to the Red Fern gymnasium, and it would give you some time to explore your interests away from home. There is no pressure; if you do not want to, you will not hurt my feelings. I know that the gymnasium will provide you with room in their dormitory, but you are not one of the competitors and it may be odd for both you and the students you would be coaching.”

“It does sound interesting,” admitted Fingon. “I think I would like to try it. If... if it would be alright with you,” he added as he looked to his father.

“You have to let go sometime.” It was Finrod who offered this advice, to the surprise of some in the room. “When I left home, I do not think it was something that everyone was fond of. In fact, Artanis was fairly upset with me. My residence is somewhat temporary, though. I come home as I like. Maybe this would be a good idea to try,” he added. “There is no need to move out completely. Use the house as a home away from home that allows you to facilitate your ability to be at the gym. Then, it is not so permanent.”

Fingon looked to his father again and said, “I would like to try this. I need to find somewhere to live if I am to keep my promise to Coach Ardim.”

Maglor’s answer was less enthusiastic. “I guess I should go, too.”

“You do not need to,” Feanor reminded him.

“No, I will go,” he answered.

Plans were made officially to relocate Fingon and Maglor to the hunting lodge. The celebration was postponed, for Finwe felt unable to celebrate considering the circumstances. The coordination between everyone to help move Fingon and Maglor took up a fair amount of time for the family anyhow. Secretly, someone began a covert search for Celegorm and Aredhel, focusing upon their safe return.