Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Morning came, and no one talked to Erestor. A few times, Anglin or Thrangorn looked over and sometimes looked about to speak or come to him, but each time a whispered warning would come from one of the others and they would turn away. Erestor spent the day trying to find a comfortable position as he coughed so hard that his lungs burned and head ached by early afternoon. Hours passed, and the others spent their time listening to Thrangorn describe the layout of Gondolin to them. Though the butler spoke quietly and questions were asked in hushed tones, it was enough to cause the throbbing in Erestor’s head to increase to a painful pounding.

When evening came, the sound of a key turning in a lock brought silence to the makeshift dungeon. Erestor opened his eyes to see torchlight filling the stairway that led down. Finally, he heard something from the other side of the room. “Please do not say anything stupid,” hissed Thrangorn. “Mind him, sir, do not anger him.”

Too tired to answer, Erestor choked on his cough and turned away. Verdev led the procession, hobbling down the stairs and swinging a hoop of keys around and around his finger. They clinked and jingled until he stopped to open the gate that had been built between the stairs and the prisoners. He strolled in, followed by a dozen other orcs, their stench hanging heavy in the air. The captain did not give the five elves huddled together a second look as he passed by and set his sights directly upon Erestor.

“How did my naughty pet fair last night? A little sore, I would think.” Verdev crouched down near to where Erestor was slumped against the wall. The guards kept the rest of the prisoners away from Verdev and Erestor, who were soon joined by Furog. “Has he learned his lesson?” Verdev used his walking stick to lift Erestor’s chin. “Would you like that heavy harness removed so you can move freely once again, my pet?”

Erestor tried to heed Thrangorn’s advice, and at least did not glare at his captor. Instead, he tiredly lolled his head away so that it slid from Verdev. Erestor was made to look up again, this time as Verdev stabbed sharp fingernails into Erestor’s throat and reflexively the elf jerked his head. “One very simple answer is all you need give. Simply answer yes. Yes... only yes... and address me as master... so simple... so simple, and you shall be freed of this thing.” Verdev knocked on the wood with his cane. “How uncomfortable is your pride, elf?”

A horrid, hacking cough was the reply, and Verdev leaned away. “Very uncomfortable, I wager. Very uncomfortable.” He leaned back in again. “How foolish you are to hold onto it. Look at your friends – look at them! They are no weaklings, no. If they were, why would I need guards to watch my back? No, but they are not stupid. The word master slides off their tongues with ease. Is it because you were some noble? Some master yourself? Some birthright holds up your nose? You are no better than them down here, elf. You hurt only yourself by playing this game.”

Furog stepped around Erestor and took hold of his hand, then twisted his entire arm backwards. The ropes cut into his flesh and lack of strength kept him from fighting back. A painful wince escaped, a sound much like an abused animal. Verdev smiled. “It sounds as if you must be in pain, my pet. Would it not be easier to simply ask to be released?”

The muscles in Erestor’s back tightened and he struggled to adjust. It was to no avail, and another coughing spasm led to bursts of pain throughout his body. His head was aching worse, and it was through watery eyes that he next saw Verdev as the stick lifted his chin again. “If you say it, you save yourself so much trouble. If you do not, I leave you here, and I take your quiet friend up to the tower where we will hang him from the post, and leave him to the mercy of the albatross. It is your decision, elf. Would you like for me to release you?”

Erestor gritted his teeth. As much as his muscles screamed to beg for mercy, he denied himself this. His gaze flitted toward the others, and he locked eyes with Thrangorn.

The butler, despite being out of range to hear the conversation, seemed to know that something involving him was being discussed. He caught himself mid-shiver, and looked hard upon Erestor. So much might have been avoided if only Erestor had not been so arrogant. Though no master of mindspeak, Thrangorn projected his thoughts now as he stared at Erestor from across the cell.

This is not just about you, Erestor. Do as he says for once.

“Are you listening, elf?”

Erestor looked back to Verdev, but said nothing.

“Would you like me to release you from this? If I do, will you be a good elf?”

In all honesty, Erestor had the urge to spit into Verdev’s face. Were it not for the stern voice in his head, he might have. However, it was obvious, at least for now, that if he did revolt he would be in the minority and by himself. There was safety in numbers, and nothing would be accomplished by being tortured. He needed Thrangorn and the others to be well, and while he had likely ruined friendship with some of them, there was still a chance that an opportunity might arise for all of them to escape. “Yes,” answered Erestor softly through clenched teeth.

“Louder.”

Erestor swallowed hard. “Yes,” he replied in a clear voice.

“You forget your manners.” Furog slapped Erestor alongside his head with the palm of his hand. “Give him a proper answer or I twist your arm right off.”

Verdev came a little closer, and lifted Erestor’s chin into his hand. “Such a pretty thing you are. I kept you because of that. Now, you look like a ragged beggar I should have had killed. Is it worth my time to keep you? Are you ready to submit without fighting me? Answer me, elf. Do not disappoint me this time. Say it, elf. Say it loud, so your friends might hear. This is your final chance.”

The throbbing in his head was worse, and his arm was no better. Erestor squeezed his eyes shut and tried to think, tried to reason, but everything hurt and blurred and the cold of the floor and the pain in his chest and the blood in his mouth all overpowered him and as he hung his head and felt the sickness deep in his stomach. He licked his dry lips and uttered in a defeated voice, “Yes, master.”

It took only a nod for Furog to cut the ropes. Erestor gasped as his arms were freed, and he fell limp to the ground. Tired and sore, and unable to move, he huddled against the wall and coughed until he was too exhausted to do more than lean against the stone wall and pant. “Thank him, slave,” said Furog gruffly as he smacked the side of Erestor’s head with the back of his meaty hand.

“Thank you,” mumbled the elf, but he was again hit from behind.

“Do it properly!” demanded Furog.

Erestor coughed, a brief stall to the inevitable. He lifted his head only slightly, eyes still cast downward. “Thank you, master.”

“Oh, was that so difficult for you? So you are not stupid, only stubborn, but still teachable. We shall see what more you might learn tomorrow.” Verdev stood up and left, cane clicking upon the floor, with his guards shuffling out behind him. This time, the cell was locked but the door was left open at the top of the steps to allow the prisoners some light.

Thrangorn took a step forward, but the figure that was collapsed on the floor beside the bloodstained yoke growled a warning to him. “Leave me alone.” Despite this, Thrangorn still approached. He dipped the cleanest corner of his shirt into one of the small pools of water on the floor and sat down beside Erestor.

“Do not touch me!” Erestor hissed as the cool water was used to wipe the blood from his arm. He slapped away Thrangorn’s hand the second time it made an attempt to aid him.

“I would rather you were alive and mad at me than gleefully defiant up to the moment of your death,” decided Thrangorn, and he again reached out, this time holding Erestor’s arm still as he cleaned it. “They are only words, Erestor. You only need to say them; you do not need to mean them.”

“He thinks I mean them.”

“Let him think that.” Thrangorn finished wiping away the blood and tried to coax Erestor back to the nesting area that the others had created. “Come with me. Join us. You need to rest.”

“I can sleep here.”

“Damn stubborn... fine. I am done arguing with you.” Thrangorn left Erestor by himself next to the cold wall.

It took Erestor nearly five minutes before his coughing and his shivers brought him crawling to the edge of the nest. It took a meager nudge from Anglin to get him to join the others for the remainder of the night.