Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“I have a surprise for you.”

Glorfindel had a grin on his face and his hands held behind his back.

“Is it a kitten?”

Immediately, the seneschal furrowed his brow and frowned. “How did you know?”

Glancing up from his paperwork, Erestor replied, “Last night I was talking about the fact that the library cat was not a good mouser anymore, and that she just sits on a chair near the fire and allows the rodents to chew holes in my books. Furthermore, Lindir told you that he was looking for homes for the litter of kittens his cat recently had. I simply deduced. Reasoned it out is all. Also, it meowed when you came in.”

Glorfindel brought the tiny mewing poof of fur in front of him. “I suppose you do not like it.”

“On the contrary.” Erestor set aside his quill and held out his hands. Settling the kitten into the advisor’s palms, Glorfindel stepped back again. “Have you a name for him?”

“Nay. He is your kitten. You should name him,” answered Glorfindel.

Erestor smiled. “Thank you,” he said, placing the little cat onto his lap. The feline found the softness of the robes to his liking, and after kneading out the wrinkles with his tiny clawed paws, decided that with all the excitement he had best take a nap.

“Were you at least a little surprised?” asked Glorfindel. “Just a teeny bit surprised?”

“If I lied and said I was, would it make you feel better?” pondered Erestor, already back at work.

“No,” admitted Glorfindel. “I suppose not. But next time,” he vowed, “I will surprise you.”

“I wish you luck in your venture,” called out Erestor as the blond was leaving the room. A moment later, Erestor looked up, and seeing that the seneschal was gone, smirked and resumed his task once more.