Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“I have a surprise for you.”

Glorfindel had a grin on his face and his hands held something in a sack.

“Is it a blanket?”

“Honestly!” Glorfindel just shook his head and sighed.

Erestor was fighting back his smirk as he closed the book he was reading. “Well? Is it?”

Looking down at the sack with a forlorn expression, Glorfindel asked, “How did you know?”

The book was set back on a pile of others as Erestor folded his hands. “A few months ago you said you were looking forward to the turning of the leaves because you like the crisp air and the harvest and the scent of fruits being boiled for canning. I told you that this year I was not looking forward to it, for the head librarian has come to the conclusion that a fire burning in the hearth of the library is too dangerous. Therefore, I was expecting to have a number of long, cold nights here to look forward to. I had a feeling you might find a remedy for my situation. And,” added Erestor, as seriously as he could, “you had a pair of crochet hooks tucked in your pocket the other day at council.”

The sack was resting on the floor by his feet, and Glorfindel raised his hands to cover his face. “I suppose you are going to tell everyone about this now.”

“On the contrary.” Erestor lifted the cat from his lap and placed him upon the warm chair, then approached Glorfindel. Crouching down beside the sack, Erestor untied it and drew forth a black blanket that had been skillfully weaved to make it appear as if it was a night sky with fireworks bursting within. “Do you mind if I use it right away?”

“Please do!” Glorfindel smiled warmly as he watched Erestor draw it around his shoulders and snuggle against it with a fleeting shiver.

“Thank you,” whispered Erestor as the cat jumped off of the chair and Erestor sat down again. He drew the blanket closer around him. “Did you make it all by yourself?”

“Celebrian helped me with the edges,” Glorfindel said with a slight blush to his cheeks. “Are you sure you like it?”

“Yes.”

“Is it warm enough?”

“Yes.”

“Were you at least a little surprised?” asked Glorfindel. “Just a teeny, weensy itsy bitsy, bittley bit surprised?”

Unable to keep from smiling, Erestor’s hand snuck out from beneath a bit of the blanket. “Maybe... just a little,” he said, showing a space between his fingers of no more than an inch.

“Next time,” Glorfindel declared, “you will be absolutely and totally surprised.”

“Promise?” Erestor was cuddling the cat on his lap as he looked up hopefully.

“Yes.” Glorfindel picked up the sack and took it with him, taking one last look at Erestor on his way out.

“You better hurry up,” said Erestor after Glorfindel was gone. “If you take much longer, I shall just have to surprise you first!” A moment later, Erestor looked shyly away from the door with a grin and turned his head to breath in the wonderful scent of Glorfindel that permeated the yarn.