Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Tell me about your father, Ada,” said Estel suddenly.

Elrond turned around. He had thought that the boy was asleep, and was startled when he heard Estel’s voice behind him. “My father? What do you want to know about him, my son?”

Estel sat up in bed. “You never talk about him. I can read books about him, but I want to know about him. What did you like to do with him? What songs did he sing for you when you went to bed at night? What stories did he tell you?”

So many emotions hit Elrond as these questions were asked that it took him a few minutes to compose himself. “He... he was never around much when I was a child,” admitted Elrond. “My mother was around much more than he was. She left my brother and I when we were still very young. I have very few memories of my parents,” Elrond admitted.

“Do you have any?” asked Estel.

“A few,” said Elrond carefully. “I do not know how interesting any of them will be,” he said. Some of them were terrifying. Seeing his mother run from them when she had hidden Elros and himself in the waterfall – that last look at her face, and how pale she was, how terrified she was. Elrond shook his head to remove the image. “I can tell you a little bit, but some of it is very hazy. It has been a long time since I was a child.” Elrond did not add that he had only been a child for a few years, and had grown up far faster than most elven children are required to.

“I would like to know whatever you do remember,” requested Estel. “Please?”

Elrond sat down on the edge of the bed and Estel rested his head back down on his pillow. “Well, I do remember one time, a very long time ago, when my father went hunting. My mother wanted to work on something in peace, and she asked he take my brother and I with him.”

* * *

“Ionin,” called out Earendil. His twin sons poked their heads out of the tent that they slept in at night. “Your mother wants you to come with me. So... come along.” Earendil’s visits were few, and he was somewhat distant with his sons. He did not know quite how to act when he was around, and they had the same trouble. Cautiously, the two heads retreated back into the tent, and the twins emerged fully a moment later. They held onto each other’s hand, with the elder one on the left and the younger one on the right. At least, Earendil was pretty sure that the one of the left was older. He was taller, by just the slightest bit. He had yet to choose names for them, and so the term of endearment would have to do for both of them. “Ionin, we need to find some meat for supper. Come.” He began to walk towards the forest, and after exchanging a look, the twins followed, hands still joined.

Earendil stopped at a cart that was hitched to a pair of horses and unlatached a hook. “I think we shall take care of this from land and air.” He gave a sharp whistle, and a hawk that was preening in the back of the cart hopped from one perch to another and then onto Earendil’s gloved hand. “Let us go.” He continued to walk, and the twins had to run to keep up with their father’s long strides.

“We will look for a clearing,” explained Earendil as they moved further into the woods. “We need to find an area where we will find game.”

“What does the hawk do?” asked the shorter of the pair. It startled Earendil, who had almost forgotten that they were behind him, despite having talked to them as they went.

“Well, the hawk is going to soar into the air and search for game on the ground. If she captures anything, she will bring it back to me. We will see what we can find in the woods. Deer and boar are too large for her. Rabbits and squirrels are not worth our time to seek out, but she can find them easily and bring us a few.” Earendil found a suitable spot and lifted the hood from his hawk. “Go!” He raised his fist in the air, and the hawk spread her wings. She beat them a few times, and then took off for the skies.

“How do you know she will come back?” asked the shorter one. The little one was definitely more curious. Earendil decided he would need to take that into consideration when he came up with names for them.

* * *

“So your father never named you?” asked Estel.

“No. My Uncle Maedhros came up with my brother’s name, and my Uncle Maglor came up with my name,” said Elrond. “I do not know what my mother would have called us, either. She never told us. We were simply Ionin to them both. Does that satisfy your curiosity?” asked Elrond.

“A little bit.” Estel was quiet for a while as Elrond blew out the remaining candles in the room. “Ada?” he asked when the task was complete.

“Yes, Estel?” Elrond could barely make out his son in the darkness.

“Can I give you a name?”

Elrond said nothing for several minutes.

“Unless you do not want me to,” said Estel quickly. He pulled the blanket up to hide under it “Please do not be mad,“ came the muffled voice from under the covers.

“I am not mad,” said Elrond quietly.

“Would you like another name, then?” asked Estel. “You gave me a name, and since you only have one name, I think you should have another one. If you want.” Estel lowered his voice to a tiny whisper. “It could be a secret name that only Momi and I get you use.”

Elrond smiled, unseen to Estel in the darkness. “I would like that, Estel.”

Hidden in the shadows near the doorway, Gilraen smiled, too.