Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“These are the woods of Thranduil Oropherion, King of Greenwood the Great,” remarked Erestor as they passed beneath an archway made of twined trees and ivy leaves that climbed up either side. There were bright berries of some kind as well, winding up around them, and they were among some of the few bright things found there in the forest. There was a party of four guards, two at each side, with bows ready. They nodded as Erestor, Glorfindel, and Estel rode through the naturally made posts and followed the trodden path up to the mouth of the caves, where more guards still were posted. These were standing about less formally, and yet all of them bowed to Erestor and Glorfindel as they passed by.

“I lived here for over a thousand years,” said Erestor to Estel. “It was only when your father built Imladris that I left and came to live there. This place is like a second home to me.”

Glorfindel frowned, remembering his other task and his true purpose for being sent. “Of course, home is where your heart is.”

Erestor turned and regarded Glorfindel oddly, but then something within the folliage caught his gaze. “Legolas! How are you?”

“Erestor! Glorfindel! Welcome, welcome!” The younger of the two princes of Mirkwood was mounted on a speckled stallion. “It is so good to see you!” When they all approached, Legolas said to Erestor, “I thought you might have decided to send a proxy in your place.”

“Why should I do that? I am more than able to travel, and I enjoy the occasional visits here. How is your father faring?”

“Well enough, even though the evil encroaches further upon our lands day by day,” said Legolas sadly. “Even now, many of us spend much of our time on the borders, which are ever shrinking, fighting the numerous spiders. I have been on patrol three days of four for many days and nights; even my father takes his turn in the rotations when time allows.”

“Perhaps we might offer some assistance while we are here,” said Erestor. Glorfindel wrinkled his nose. Spiders were on the list with cabbage and the color grey. “And your brother? I hope he is well.”

“He is. His duties have been restricted mainly to taking care of the political situation. In fact, he often takes on our father’s duties when he is able. He worries greatly, for his daughter has insisted she can do more good with a sword than with needle and thread, and so she is almost always in the hunting parties when I am out. She was recently briefly incapacitated by a stinging wound that poisoned her leg, but is healed well again, and once more she is Tauriel’s Shadow. That blessing, of course, we can account much to the salves and astringents that Lord Elrond has continued to send to us.”

“He has sent more. We have many crates of medicines to aid you, and other supplies as well.”

“They will be gladly received,” Legolas told them.

“It is Lord Elrond’s pleasure to be of service.” Erestor paused, and then began to ask, “How is Tauriel d—“

“She still wants you to stay away from her,” Legolas cut off abruptly.

“Fair enough,” answered Erestor, while Glorfindel shook his head and made a mental note to ask Legolas the usual ‘what did he do now’ later.

Legolas cleared his throat. “Enough of these tidings. Who is your young companion?”

“Oh, my manners!” Erestor scolded himself. “Prince Legolas, may I present Estel, son of Lord Elrond.”

“Lord Elrond...” Legolas gave Erestor a quizzical look. “Did he...”

“I will explain later,” said Erestor quietly. He dismounted and motioned for Estel to do the same.

As soon as the lad did, he bowed deeply as he had been taught to by Melpomaen and smiled at Legolas. “It is a pleasure to meet you, your highness!”

“Oh, my, he is a charmer,” said one of the guards nearby to another.

Legolas swung one leg around to the other side and jumped down to the ground. “Well met, Estel, well met indeed! You must come and meet my father and brother; they are in the throne chamber. Come, let us go there now,” he said, making a sweeping motion with his arm towards the inner chambers of the caves.

“I have two brothers,” said Estel as they began to walk. “I have a sister, too, but I have never met her. Do you have any sisters?”

“No, only a brother,” said Legolas as they continued along the narrowing path. “I do have a sister-in-law.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means that she is my brother’s wife, so she is like a sister to me. If you would like to meet her, I can introduce you,” offered Legolas. “You will not be able to meet my mother here, I am afraid. She and my grandmother sailed West, a long time ago, before the last great wars began. Perhaps you will be able to meet her someday.”

Glorfindel found his steps becoming slower and slower as he followed behind them. He had dismounted last, and was holding the reigns of all of the Imladris mounts. Legolas’ horse was calming walking beside the prince. The horses were getting restless, even Asfaloth. “Not much further,” he assured them. Keeping the pony calm was the worst of all, for she began to tug at the reigns and gnash her bit. “Just a little more. I promise there is a nice, warm stall and good, fresh hay, and a long rest for each of you. Come now, my dears, keep on the path with me.”

At this point, Erestor’s horse bucked and nearly ripped the reigns from Glorfindel’s hand. He had to stop and hold fast to keep from losing them all. This set off the pony, who dug in her heels and refused to go any further. “Come now, please, you must trust me. Just a little bit more.”

Hearing the distress that Glorfindel was in, Erestor trotted back down the passageway, leaving Legolas and Estel to walk without them. “Will my pony be alright?” Estel asked as he looked over his shoulder, but continued.

Legolas nodded. “Do not worry. She will be well cared for.”

“She is my first pony,” fretted Estel. “I have not even named her yet.”

“We will be sure to take special care of her then,” promised Legolas. “In fact, I will insist she be stabled with my horse.” He reached up and rubbed his mount’s nose, and the horse gave his master’s shoulder an affectionate nudge. “I remember my first horse. He was a brindle stallion, and so timid he never needed to be broken. My father was uncertain I should ride such a cautious horse, but many times his caution kept me from going into places that were too dangerous. It was as if the horse had better intuition than I did.”

“What did you call your horse?”

“He was named Pear. I was pretty young, and I suppose a lot of children give silly and strange names to their first horses and pets.”

“Pets?”

“Sure... like a dog or a cat. My father and my brother both enjoy the company of cats. We have many here in Greenwood. You have never had a pet?” asked Legolas.

“I guess I have not,” said Estel. “Maybe I will get one when I am a little older.”

Legolas nodded and heard a loud thud behind them. When he turned, he saw Erestor rubbing his shoulder with a grimace. The older elf was standing very near to the side of the cave, while Glorfindel gritted his teeth and held the reigns of the mounts with both hands. “Just a moment,” he said to Estel. He made a noise to call his horse back, and brought the stallion to the group of uncertain steeds. After he whispered a few words to his own horse while stroking his neck, Legolas nudged the horse forward. Asfaloth and Legolas’ horse began to converse in knickers and neighs, and then Asfaloth took to speaking to Erestor’s horse and the pony. “Glorfindel, let go of the reigns,” suggested Legolas.

With minor hesitation, Glorfindel dropped the leather leads and stepped away. The horses began to move slowly down the passageway. The pony still made her displeasure known as they went, but obediently came along.

Estel and Legolas continued their chatter up ahead, as Erestor scowled and brought up the rear with Glorfindel. “What did your horse say to the others?” asked Estel as they neared the stables.

Legolas grinned. “He told them they were welcome to leave, because the spiders outside were hungry and found equine particularly tasty.”

* * *

Eventually the entire group entered an area that bustled with activity despite the late hour. Within the caves, day and night were of less consequence, and so there were things happening at any given hour. One tunnel led off to the area where the horses of the realm were stabled, and true to his word Legolas was sure to have Estel’s pony kept in the same area as his horse.

Estel took time to marvel at the other warhorses, and strange mounts, the likes of which he had not seen even in Gildor’s caravan. There were goats the size of horses, with shaggy coats that made them look more like sheep, and deer that could be saddled and raced through the thickly grown forest. Most impressive was the mount reserved for the King – a massive elk-like creature whose antler width alone required a stall four times the size of the other stalls just to give the proud deer the room needed to turn around.

From here, they continued on to the king’s chamber, where less people were amassed and the atmosphere was serene. On a raised platform were three seats. It was difficult to tell if they were hewn of stone, carved of wood, or masterfully crafted from antlers. On the largest throne at the center was an elf of considerable age and wisdom, though only his eyes might tell this to one not acquainted with King Thranduil, for his face was handsome and his skin fair and pale, and his hair nearly as golden as Glorfindel’s. He did not so much sit as he casually lounged upon the grand seat. His hands appeared smooth, due to the grace and fluidity with which he used them to make his points as he spoke, but once closer, one could see the calloused fingertips from practice with his sword and use in the field.

Leaning against the throne was a wooden staff with green gems adorning it. There were branches of ivy winding around the staff, and they matched the crown that rested on Thranduil’s head.

Erestor paused, and then took to one knee before the throne. “My King,” he said, head bowed so that his braids trailed on the floor. “Long live His Majesty, King Thranduil of Greenwood the Great!”

Glorfindel tried not to be too shocked. He placed a hand upon Estel’s shoulder when the boy attempted to step forward to do the same at Erestor had. A soldier, dressed in armor that was just a little brighter and a little greener than the others, and he, just a little shorter than his counterparts, stepped forward and in a loud and practiced voice announced, “His Majesty, the Most Honorable and Magnificent King Thranduil of Greenwood the Great! Long may he reign over this glorious realm!”

Glorfindel and Estel only now showed their reverence. Thranduil did not stand, nor move in any other way than to bend one finger only just enough for the herald to notice and step back to his post. “Welcome, Lord Glorfindel. My hospitality is at your disposal.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” replied Glorfindel as he stood up straight again. “Your kindness and generosity are, as always, appreciated. May I introduce to you Lord Elrond’s youngest son, Estel Elrondion.”

Thranduil looked away from Erestor, who was still bowed low, and settled his eyes upon Glorfindel. For the first time since the trio arrived in the chamber, Thranduil showed a true interest in leaving his throne, but did not do so. “Is that so?” he asked. “I have heard many things about you from your father, young one . Well met, Estel, Son of Elrond.” Thranduil stood and bowed as well. “It is I who am honored by your presence. My home is your home,” he said, lifting a hand. “My game, your game. My servants, here to serve you. If you should desire anything while you are here, call upon my finest. Galion?”

A smartly dressed elf with a serene look stepped forward. “Your highness?”

“Galion, I wish for you to see to all needs of our guests before my own or those of my family.” Thranduil took several steps forward, down from the platform, and his feet moved so swiftly, one might have thought he slid down the stairs in one fluid movement. He set his hand upon Erestor’s shoulder. “Rise, my brother,” he commanded, and Erestor stood. “It is good to see you,” he said to the Imladris councilor, embracing him. “You are always welcome here,” he said as they stepped back.

“Thank you. It is good to see you as well. How is Thaladir?” he asked.

“He is grumpy and stoic and as well as he ever was,” Thranduil said, and a smile made a vain attempt to pull at his lips. “I would have you stay with the rest of the family, but I assume you will wish to be with your companions?”

“I would like that best,” admitted Erestor. “Estel is young, and we – Glorfindel and I – are charged with his safety. I think, though, I shall be a great nuisance for you despite that.”

Thranduil’s lips were drawn tightly, but there was laughter in his eyes. “No brother of mine could be a nuisance.”

Estel had been respectfully quiet the entire exchange, but now looked up to Glorfindel. “Lord Glorfindel,” he whispered, “how can King Thranduil and Master Erestor be brothers if they look nothing alike to each other?”

“They are a different sort of brothers,” explained Glorfindel, trying to whisper back. “I can tell you about it later,” he said.

“I would be delighted to tell the lad the tales of the Eldar days,” offered Thranduil. “But for now, you must be tired from your journey.”

“Not really,” blurted out Estel, and Glorfindel squeezed his shoulder. “I mean, thank you, sir, I would like a nap.” He blushed as the adults chuckled softly.

“I recall having boundless energy when I was your age,” said Thranduil. “Would you really, truly like a nap, or would you prefer to explore?”

Estel fidgeted a moment, and then said, “I like exploring.”

Thranduil’s lips twitched ever the slightest as if to smile, but he kept his stoicism. “I believe we have settled that, then. Exploration and supper before bedtime?”

“Yes, please, Your Royal Majestic Highness, sir,” answered Estel.

“If you do not mind that Legolas gives you a full tour, I think he could show you everything that happens here in Mirkwood. I would myself, but I have some items of importance that I would like to speak to Erestor about,” said Thranduil. “I would be delighted to have you dine with me tomorrow morning. You can tell me about your favorite parts of my kingdom.”

“Yes, please! Thank you!” Estel eagerly bounded up to Legolas. “Where can we go first?”

“Where would you like to go first?”

“Can I see the kittens?” asked Estel excitedly.

“Of course! Right this way,” said Legolas, leading Estel down one of the many passages that branched off from the throne room. Glorfindel watched Estel and Legolas disappear one way as Thranduil placed an arm around Erestor’s shoulder and led him off in another direction.

Torn as to where he should go, Glorfindel hurried after Estel. “Legolas,” he called out, and the prince turned around. Estel stopped as soon as he realized that his tour guide was not walking beside him any longer. “Legolas, I, umm...” Logically, it made sense for Glorfindel to stay with Estel. Since Erestor was obviously able to take care of himself within the caves that he was accusomted to, Estel would be the one who would need him more. On the other hand, this was the best time for him to follow Erestor. With the busy schedule that Thranduil had, it may be the only opportunity Erestor would have to speak with the king, and the only chance Glorfindel might have to eavesdrop on such a conversation. “I think I pulled a muscle with those horses. Would you mind terribly if I refrained from joining you on the tour this evening?”

“Of course not. I shall bring Estel to join you when we are finished. I think my father was going to walk Erestor to the quarters you will be staying in; if you hurry, you may still catch up to them.”

* * *

“You have no idea how good it is to take a warm bath after that journey,” called Erestor from the bathing chamber. He was splashing a bit of water around as he scrubbed his body and washed his hair.

With Thranduil in the adjoining room, he had to shout in order for Erestor to hear him. “I think I have a pretty good idea. I do recall how rough the last alliance was.”

“I stand corrected. Or rather, I sit corrected.” Erestor stretched his legs out, thankful for the large tub. It was, in fact, the very rooms he used for the many years he spent living in Greenwood, and the very same that were always assigned to him on diplomatic visits. “I heard the spiders have been shit.”

“They always are.” Thranduil was setting up a chess board as they spoke, and the sound of the pieces being arranged helped cover Glorfindel’s breathing for a little while.

“When is the vote? Five days from now?”

“Six. I suppose you will be relieved when this is all over.”

“We should have handled this years ago,” called out Erestor. “After the war.”

One of the cats in the room hopped off of the bed and trotted out into the narrow corridor. She pranced right up to Glorfindel and meowed. Cover blown, Glorfindel acted as if he had only just arrived and walked into the room. “Good evening.”

Thranduil gave a nod. “Good to see you. Glad you found the room. Erestor is taking a bath, but there was enough water brought for both of you. More will be sent when Legolas brings Estel here later.” Thranduil cleared his throat, and spoke loud enough for Erestor to hear in the next room. “Is Estel really Elrond’s blood-son?”

“Not exactly,” replied Erestor. “He is kin, through the line of Elros.”

“Ah,” acknowledged Thranduil. “Then, is he not elven?”

“No,” said Erestor. “He is a Dúnadan.”

“Does he know this?”

Glorfindel looked towards the doorway to the bathing chamber guiltily. “Neither Elrond nor his mother have decided to tell him yet. In fact, he thinks that Elrond is his father, and he knows that his mother is his mother, and they have been living together. Estel has no memory of his true father, and they wish it kept that way.”

“That is quite a burden for them, and will be for the boy when he grows up,” said Thranduil. “Then again, perhaps it is better not to worry the child unnecessarily.”

“That was Elrond’s reason for it,” said Erestor. “He also thinks it is important for Estel to have a ‘normal’ family. I think he wishes for Estel the family that he never had a chance to have.”

“I can understand that.” Thranduil looked at Glorfindel. “Care for a game while he finishes in there?”

“Certainly.” Glorfindel moved the chair from the desk over to the bed where Thranduil was sitting. Two more narrow beds had been added to the room, as well as a small bench near the doorway to accommodate the extra guests in the room. “This vote that is going on, it sounds… exciting.”

“Just some housecleaning that has to be done,” said Thranduil. “Nothing that should make much difference. It should have happened years ago, but there was war, and then we just never did anything about it, as arrangements were informally made.” Thranduil began with the first move.

“By this time next week, it will all be over,” shouted Erestor. “I would rather not talk about it anymore.”

“What do you think will happen? Do you expect father to walk through the door while you are voting?”

“In fact, I do,” said Erestor with a nervous laugh. “I would not put it past him. Seriously, can we change the topic?”

Thranduil and Glorfindel politely spoke about the happenings in Imladris and Greenwood while Erestor finished in the other room. Just about the time that Erestor was entering the room wrapped in a large fluffy towel with another bundled around his hair, Thranduil shook his head at the board. “No one beats me at this game faster than you do, Glorfindel.”

“Too much time playing this game in real life,” he answered.

“Did you tell Thranduil about our offer with the spiders?” asked Erestor.

Glorfindel squirmed a bit in his chair, but said, “Erestor thought that since the spiders were such a problem that we might help to take care of some of them before we go back home.”

“I am sure that one of the Captains will gladly assign both of you to the rotations if you like,” said Thranduil carefully as he reset the pieces. “But what would Elrond say?”

“Certainly, he would want us to help in any way we can,” confirmed Erestor.

“I meant, in case one of you were to be injured.” Thranduil cleared his throat. “Mostly you,” he added as he stared at Erestor. “I am certain, even now, you hold the record for the most spider bites requiring emergency care.”

“Oh, that.” Erestor removed the towel from his head so that he could dry his hair, but also hide his expression, be it grin or scowl. “Forgot about that..”

“No spider hunting,” decreed Thranduil. “It is so rare I have time to spend with anyone who does not feel obligated to call me either sire or father whenever they address me.”

“Good enough, then.” Erestor nudged Glorfindel from his spot. “Bathtime for you; chesstime for me.”

Thranduil moved his first piece forward. “My only regret shall be all the games I lose over the next month.”

* * *

Erestor groaned and flopped onto the bed. He stared up at the ceiling and muttered, “I feel like an old man. I have had my bath and my tea, and I feel ready for bed.” He put his arm over his eyes.

Glorfindel pulled out the chair and sat down to comb out his hair. Thranduil had been called away in the midst of the match, and so the chessboard was discarded for now. In short order a trolley arrived with hot tea, biscuits, and fruit. “You are entitled to rest. We traveled a great distance today, and traversing these caves requires great stamina.” He parted his hair and began to braid the left side of his hair into one long plait.

Erestor peeked out. “Are you saying my stamina is low?” He cracked a slight smile to tell Glorfindel he was only joking around a bit with him.

Glorfindel smiled back. “Certainly not. I am only agreeing with your own observations.”

“So you think I am old?” asked Erestor.

Glorfindel shrugged and began to work on the braid on the right side. “What elf is not?”

Erestor chuckled. “How true. Might you do an old man a favor?”

Years and years of nightly braiding meant that Glorfindel was already done with his hair. “For you, I would do almost anything. The almost part makes me ask what that favor is.” He wound the two braids together and fastened them at the base of his neck and at the end before he selected an apple from the cart.

Erestor sat up and leaned forward to refill his cup of tea. “I usually share a drink or two with Galion when I arrive. As yet, I have not seen him. Would you mind passing along my apologies so that he does not arrive in the middle of the night with Eledu and enough wine to drown the elk?”

“Which one is Galion?” asked Glorfindel before he bit into the apple.

“Thranduil’s butler. He used to be Thingol’s butler, and then he was Oropher’s butler. Very pleasant fellow; hates squirrels. He was the one who Thranduil had step forward while we were making introductions. You will probably find him in the dungeons.”

“The dungeon. Of course. That is always where I look for butlers.” He chewed another chunk of apple. “I remember him, I think. No discussion of squirrels, no wine. Understood. Anything else I should know?”

Erestor sipped his tea and then stirred in more honey. “I am taking the bed closest to the door over there. When you return, ‘I forgot’ is not a valid excuse for crawling into it.”

Glorfindel worked an errant piece of apple skin out from between his teeth with his tongue, and then asked innocently, “What if I do forget?”

“With your keen mind, young one, you should have no trouble remembering. Besides, the excuse only works once.” The comment recalled a trip they had made once to Mithlond, and Glorfindel’s reason for waking up snuggled to Erestor in the same bed, when they had not even been assigned the same room.

“It looks like it gets awfully dark in here in these caves at night. It might happen accidentally through no fault of my own.” Glorfindel bit the apple to hide his smirk.

Erestor gave Glorfindel a wary look. “If nothing else, remember that Estel will be in the room as well.”

Glorfindel bit off the last bits of the apple from the core. “Estel – do not let Gilraen know I momentarily forgot about him!”

“Glorfindel, if he is still with Legolas, and I am certain he is, Estel is absolutely safe. You have my word on that,” promised Erestor.

“All the same, I think I shall go find him.”

“And Galion!” called out Erestor.

“Yes, yes, and your drinking companions,” added Glorfindel on his way out.