Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Two days later, the large bed that had been moved into Elrond’s room a few weeks before his marriage to Celebrian was disassembled and taken into the basement of the Last Homely House. That afternoon, the two single beds that had once occupied the room shared by the twins were moved into Elrond’s quarters. Elladan and Elrohir watched the transactions quietly from an alcove down the hallway from their father’s room. Silent glances were exchanged between father and sons throughout the morning and into the afternoon, but when the move was completed and Elrond came out into the hall to speak to his sons, he found that they had already gone. Inquiries led to finding out that they had gone out into the woods in search for wild boars, but it was far more likely they were spending the night on patrol for orcs.

Elrond sat on the balcony and smoked two full pipes before entering back into the rooms to rearrange more items. He went to his room first, and found it occupied by Gilraen, who was making one of the beds, the other having already been tended to. “I did not know if you preferred to have the blanket spread out over the mattress or if you preferred it at the end of the bed,” she said as she used both arms to lift an end of the sheet high into the air. The wrinkles rolled out and it drifted down onto the bed almost perfectly.

“I can tend to that,” he offered. The item in question had been removed from his bed earlier and set on top of the dresser. He took it off the bureau and draped it over his bed, tucking the corners in neatly at the bottom. “Where is Estel?”

“I left him in his room with the door open. I want him to get used to the room before this evening. He may still throw a fit at bedtime,” she warned. “It will be the first night he spends in his own bedroom.”

“If he does, we can always bring the crib here,” assured Elrond. “I would not mind.”

“All the same, he will need to learn to be a little more independent,” insisted Gilraen. “I could easily tie his hand to my apron strings, but one day he will need to be on his own.”

“I understand that. Still... a little caution is not all bad.” Elrond smiled. “If I overstep my boundaries, do tell me,” insisted Elrond. “I want this transition to be comfortable for both of us.”

Gilraen nodded. “You have Estel’s best interests in mind – there is nothing wrong with that.” It was the first time that she called Estel by the name that Elrond had given him, and it delighted Elrond immensely. His smile certainly could not hide that. “I appreciate all you have done and are doing for us,” said Gilraen. “You have provided us with a safe home, and friendship, and now, you have pieced our family back together. You have given more than most would, and even at a cost to your own happiness.”

“I am more than happy to do this,” corrected Elrond. “I am certainly not unhappy with our arrangement,” he said. He took hold of her hand and kissed the back of it.

“It is your sons,” admitted Gilraen. “While Elrohir has doted upon Aragorn since our arrival, Elladan has been cautious to even say his greetings to us. Over the last few days, he has ignored us completely. This causes Elrohir to use caution as well, and he has a hard time being loyal to his brother when he wants to spend time with Estel. They worry that I am a replacement.”

Elrond closed his eyes and shook his head. “I am sorry that they have treated you that way. I shall speak with them.”

“I beg you not to,” pleaded Gilraen. “It will make matters worse at this point. They will come to you when they are ready to discuss the matter. Too soon, and you will push them further away.”

“If things get worse, I will need to insist.”

“I doubt that they will.” Gilraen drew her arms around Elrond and gave him a hug, her cheek resting upon Elrond’s chest. “It will take a little time for them to understand we need each other for reasons other than they think.”

Elrond draped his arms around Gilraen, and he found comfort in the position. “And most of all, Estel needs us,” agreed Elrond. He lifted a hand to run it over Gilraen’s hair once, twice, and then he receeded. He stepped back and gave her a reassuring smile just as they both began to hear Estel fuss in the room nearby.

Gilraen smiled back. “I can tend to him,” she said as she realized Elrond intended to follow after her. “You have business in the morning. No need to wait up for me,” she assured Elrond as she left the room.

Elrond paced the room, moved a few more items about, and even climbed into bed and tried to fall asleep, but Gilraen found him sitting on the edge of his bed when she finally returned, waiting for her with a gentle smile. “I.. thought it would be rude not to say good night.”

“In that case, good night,” said Gilraen as she toed off her slippers and walked to his bed. She stooped down and gave him a brief yet warm hug, which was returned with a wish of ‘good night’ in her ear.

They both crawled into bed shortly thereafter, but neither slept much that evening.