Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Zhie walked straight through the house, seemingly not noticing her husband, who was sitting on one of the steps in the main room, sketching something on an abandoned piece of frayed parchment. She made it all the way to the doorway of the trophy room when she stopped and turned around. "What happened to all of the dead animals in there? More importantly," she pressed as she strode back to the handsome Dwarf watching her, "where is the keg and why is there a bed in there?"

"The keg is right o'er thar in the corner." He nodded towards it, and Zhie sighed in relief. "Th' bed was Bandoras' idea. Said too many people were sleeping on th' floor."

She glanced back at the ex-trophy room. "This is simply going to encourage people to do other things than sleep on that bed."

"As if that matters. Do you know how many times Eledu has pulled Gwyndir up those stairs to the library? Once right in the middle of th' day, when Valarda an' I were havin' tea!"

"I wonder if Bandoras found out what we were doing out in the mushroom tent..." she muttered to herself, only half-listening.

"Anyhow," continued Vollstag, "this is quite the improvement from fallin' asleep on the floor. I might be a Dwarf, but sleepin' on stone is not my preference."

Zhie smirked. "Who am I to deny you an indulgence?"

Vollstag smiled back, and leaped down from his perch and onto the ground. "What would m'lady elf like to drink this evening? We have many fine ales in stock."

"We could stop over at the Bent Spade. I think you would like it there," she said as he pulled a bottle of her favorite from one of the shelves.

"Does the Bent Spade have a bed?"

"I... I do not think so..."

"Then we are stayin' here." He waggled his brows, and Zhie chuckled softly, sitting down so that she could unbuckle her boots. "Makes me feel a bit guilty," she conceded as she took the bottle that was offered to her and drank deeply.

"Why's that?"

"I left Bainith with Master Erestor a few days ago," she explained. "You know how he is; tough love and all of that."

Vollstag looked surprised. "Whatcha tryin' t' do, break your poor li'l rune keeper?"

"Noooo....maybe? I have no idea. He needs... someone a bit fiercer than I am."

"A bit? A bit would be... well, not Lord Erestor. Tha's like tradin' a lap cat fer a lion."

Zhie nodded slowly. "There were other options, but he chose this."

"Does th' boy have enah idea what he's in for?"

For a while, Zhie just drank the ale thoughtfully. She finally said, "He was given a list of rules and expectations before I left. Erestor is taking him back into Esteldin, and then to Ost Guruth. After that, possibly the Trollshaws. He agreed to one year of training. No smoking, limitations on drinking, and a fair amount of other provisions. Oh, and this one will amuse you -- no sparring until he can win a match against me."

Vollstag narrowed his eyes. "Not sure I like that, darlin' "

"Just sparring. I do it all the time," she said with a quick wave of her hand.

"So is this a permanent arrangement, or a temporary swift kick an' then you get him back?" asked Vollstag as he wandered to the other room to turn down the bed and fluff the pillows.

"Not sure, though I doubt he will be under my watch again. I am actually doubtful that this will last a full year. I get the feeling Erestor is trying to make a point, but I am failing to see what that is at the moment."

"No need t' worry yerself about it. A good night's rest'll do ye." Vollstag titled his head towards the inviting bed.

Zhie looked through the doorway in contemplation. "Bandoras is not going to be pleased if he finds out this new guest room is being used for such activities."

"He was th' one who put a bed in here."

"Point taken," agreed Zhie, who really needed very little prompting. The mushroom tent was becoming awfully uncomfortable...