Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Ethel gave a wary look at the two other people who entered behind Zhie. "Witnesses?" she asked as one of them took a place in a corner, leaning against the wall. The other walked beside Zhie, stopping at the end of the table.

"No." Zhie flicked her eyes towards the corner with uncertainly. Lindir, usually looking jovial and energetic, was solemn and strange, his thoughts appearing to linger upon every spoken word. "Master Erestor wishes to speak for a moment."

Erestor had his hands settled upon the back of the chair that Zhie had been sitting in a few days earlier. His gaze swept down either side of the table, and then looked upon Ethel at the other end. If anyone else could feel the animosity, no one said a word. It was known that Erestor still held spite over not being voted to head the scholar's guild, but he said nothing of this (as he might have taken the opportunity to on other occasions). Instead, he began his practiced speech. "It was brought to my attention that Bainith Proudfoot is being denied the ability to use what talents Eru hath granted him. I think it most unnerving that this council would turn him away. We all known what becomes of a youth with such power, left unattended. Will this council feel responsible when he is unable to learn to control his ability on his own, and something grave happens? For when it does, it shall be all of you who will be held accountable."

Samling flinched, and Celebthos squirmed uncomfortably. Ethel had her arms crossed over her chest and stared down the table at Erestor. "If you believe that bullying will gain your advantage, you are mistaken."

There was a sigh, and a shrug. Erestor turned to Zhie and shook his head. "I tried, my dear." He gazed beyond her, his look hardened as he looked at Lindir. "I suppose our loss is his gain."

Narl slapped a hand upon the table. "No riddle, Elf! What do you mean by that?"

Erestor looked back to the Dwarf and said, "Oh, you have not guessed his reason for being here? He heard of Bainith's healing abilities -- something he was never trained for, something he simply has learned on his own."

"If you have no intention of retaining young Bainith, the Minstrel Guild will be more than happy to train him," said Lindir. "Everyone knows rune-keepers are not *real* healers; that power lies in words and song. I will have him playing harp in a week, and he will become a pride for my colleagues and I. I appreciate your intolerance," he added with a haughty smile.

WIth a look of alarm, Ethel stood abruptly. "Excuse us. We must have a private discussion," she said quickly. "If you will all kindly wait outside." As Zhie began to follow Erestor and Lindir, a finger pointed out at her. "You stay, loremaster."

Unseen by the others, Lindir mouthed the words 'Good luck' to her as he passed. Erestor smirked, and closed the door.