Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"Pick up your bow! A good guardian never drops his weapon!"

"I don't want to be a good guardian," pouted the elfling. "I want to talk to animals like Palentil does. I don't want to leave the city and sit on the border. It's cold on the border."

Haldir's face hardened and he grabbed the bow from the ground, handing it to his brother. "Rumil, it is a disrespectful act to leave your bow on the ground. Archers do not leave their weapons lying on the grass to be trampled."

"Don't care!" Rumil threw the small weapon to the ground, causing it to bounce and then be still in the grass. Next came his quiver of arrows, smaller than those his brothers had. "I don't want to be an archer!"

"Rumil, if you don't pick that bow up right now, I'm going to tie it to your hand until you stop dropping it!" Haldir fumbled for the length of rope he kept looped on his belt. Rumil looked to Orophin with wide eyes. "Oro, get his weapon. I'm done explaining it with words."

Rumil didn't think twice, taking off over the hill to the path that led back to the inner city. Enraged, Haldir kicked the ground. "Orophin, go grab him!"

Orophin gathered the weapon and arrows and shook his head. "Why is it always my job to catch him?"

"Do not tempt me to tie your mouth shut," growled a frustrated Haldir. Orophin laughed at the image.

"Off I go," he said, unable to resist the urge to pat his older yet shorter brother on the top of the head before jogging after the youth.

- - -

Rumil never thought to look behind him as he ran, so he didn't know if one or both of his brothers gave chase, but he knew he was being followed. Up the steps of the Great Mallorn his feet carried him, and not far behind, he knew his tracker was closing in. He entered the closest room to the next landing, finding his sister within.

Celebrian took one look at Rumil, panting and dirty, and made to scoop him up into her arms. Rumil glanced once behind his back, gave a startled look, and ran to Celebrian, taking hold of the hem of her skirt, and pulling it over his head, effectively hiding himself for the moment.

Orophin appeared at the door a moment later, nearly out of breath. "Clebri! Have you seen Rumil?"

Celebrian shook her head. "Nay, I have not seen him since early this morning, when he left with you and Haldir."

"I could have sworn I saw him enter this passage." Orophin sighed as Celebrian shrugged. It was then that Orophin took a good look at his sister. "What's that under your dress?"

"Nothing," said Celebrian quickly as Orophin took a few steps forward. She could not back up without revealing Rumil, and so said, "It's Elrond."

"Echh! Blach, ichh!" Orophin stumbled back to the door, crinkling his nose and making noises akin to a gagging cat as he ran away.

Celebrian waited a bit longer before pulling her skirt back from Rumil. "Whatever are they trying to do to you?"

"Haldir wants to tie my bow to my hand because I keep dropping it. And he told me I won't get anything to eat or drink until I can fire my bow properly."

Celebrian clicked her tongue. "You poor thing. You'd better run and tell Nana or Ada."

Rumil nodded, heading for the back passage. When Rumil had gone, Celebrian let out a sigh of relief. A second sigh was heard from beneath the bed, and out from under the covers that reached the floor crawled Elrond, only partially revealing himself. "You have such a strange family, Ria."

Celebrian gave Elrond a sideways look. "You're the one who dove for the bed when you heard them approaching."

"Yes, but-" Elrond paused, listening. Shaking his head and cursing, he retreated once more, pulling the blankets back in place.

"Rumil." No greeting, no pleasantries. Haldir stood at the door, chest heaving, holding a short length of rope.

"Not here." Celebrian said simply, crossing her arms.

Haldir closed his eyes and took a deep breath through his nose. Opening his eyes slowly, he tilted his head upward, calling her bluff. Then his eyes widened, and traveled to the bed, draped heavily with thick blankets and furs - an unusual sight for summer. The table held a bowl of bite-sized fruits - berries, grapes, and the like, next to which was a pitcher of some deep colored wine.

Shaking his head and smirking, Haldir mouthed, 'Shame, shame, shame,' as he walked quietly to the bed. "Well, he'll likely wander along soon, he likes you best." Haldir sunk down onto the bed, purposely dropping all of his weight down at once so that the mattress would hopefully dip low.

Kicking off his boots, he proceeded to lift one leg and then the other onto the bed, each time making sure to cause as much of a disturbance as possible.

"Knock it off, Haldir! Are you trying to break something?" scolded Celebrian.

"Why? Is there something that could get broken?" he asked mischievously.

Celebrian pointed to the door. "Out."

Haldir conjured up a hurt look on his face. "Dearest sister, I do not wish you to be alone on such a fine day." He reached into the bowl and pulled out a small bunch of grapes. "Come, sit by me, let us talk for a while."

"With your weight alone, I am surprised it has not fallen to the floor."

"Oh, but it is sturdy. Quite sturdy." Holding onto the headboard with one hand, he lifted himself up slightly, dropping down once more. "But then, I suppose you knew that already…" Haldir grinned and bounced a few more times on the mattress.

"Enough!" Someone from beneath the bed gave a shove upwards, and had Haldir not been holding onto the headboard, he likely would have been thrown off.

Elrond crawled out from under the bed, and after straightening his clothing and hair, sat on the edge of the bed.

"Why, Lord Elrond, what a pleasant surprise!" Haldir winked at Celebrian and added, "Dearest sister, I do believe you have a tunnel to Imladris beneath your bed."

Celebrian pointed to the door more insistently. "Hurry, and you'll have the chance to catch Rumil before he reaches Nana and Ada."

"Oh, but it's been so long since I had a chance to speak to our dear Lord Elrond," grinned Haldir. He tossed a grape into the air and caught it in his mouth.

"Haldir…" warned Celebrian.

"Truly, I have missed him so. It is a rare surprise to have found him here. We do not spend nearly enough time conversing." Another grape was flipped into the air and caught.

"Haldir…" growled Celebrian.

"No, he can stay."

Celebrian's jaw dropped as her betrothed swung his legs onto the bed, settling next to Haldir, who had stopped snacking and was now eyeing Elrond warily as the peredhel moved closer.

"I think it would be immensely interesting to have your brother join us for a bit of…intercourse."

"By intercourse," asked Haldir, dropping what was left of the grapes into the bowl, "I am truly hoping you mean discussion."

Elrond grinned and gently put his hand on the young elf's knee. Haldir nearly fell from the bed as he scrambled off toward the doorway.

"What was that?" he nearly squeaked, cupping his hand to his ear as if hearing some far off voice. "Yes, I'm coming Orophin!"

"Pity you have to leave," called Elrond as Haldir retreated, pulling what was left of the grapes from the bowl.

"Duty calls," bowed Haldir before turning and taking his leave. Celebrian was on his heels as he left. Once in the hall, Haldir turned as he backed his way down the passage, sticking his tongue out at Celebrian, who was leaned out the doorway. Placing her hands on her hips, Celebrian not only stuck out her tongue, she also puffed out her cheeks, and Haldir crossed his eyes at her in retaliation, nearly backing into Galadriel as she came around the corner.