Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
As they passed the landing just before the level that Celebrian lived on, voices could be heard from within the library.

"And then, they said I would not sleep until I was able to hold a sword as well as a bow," added Rumil. He was sitting on Celeborn's lap with his arms around his father's neck. Celeborn was holding his son and listening to each word intently with a serious look on his face. "And if I couldn't shoot any arrows, they were going to take me to the border and leave me there for the orcs so that I would have no choice but to learn." Haldir and Orophin took one look at each other after having glanced inside the room and decided to flee.

"How horrible for you, Rumil," concluded Celeborn. "Well, I see there is simply no alternative."

Rumil cuddled against Celeborn. "Are you going to scold them?"

"Aye, but as for you, I think it best you stay here with me from now on," said Celeborn. "Your brothers cause far too much trouble, and I would rather you were here with me where I know you will be safe."

Rumil shifted uneasily. "Can I still play with them sometimes?"

"Of course. Under my supervision," nodded Celeborn.

"What about bedtime? Will I still share a room with them?" Rumil asked, pulling his hands down into his lap.

"Oh, no, not at all," the Lord of Lorien said, shaking his head. "You'll have to stay in the room with your Nana and I, I do not think you would be safe otherwise. Your brothers are too dangerous for you to be left with alone. You will stay with me, and help me with things that happen here. It will not be long until your brothers move to the borders and you will be safe once more."

Rumil wrung his hands and bowed his head. Suddenly, he burst into tears. "They didn't do any of it, well, they did threaten to tie my hand to my bow, but I was really being very bad about it. I threw my weapon on the ground, but I don't want to kill anything, Ada, I want to draw animals. I don't want to be a guardian, but I don't want to be away from my brothers," he sobbed, clinging onto Celeborn now that the elf-lord hugged him tight.

"There, there, nothing to cry about," comforted Celeborn, rubbing Rumil's back. "I won't take you away from your brothers, but I do need to know exactly what they told you and not what you were worried they would tell you. That is why you told me those other things, aren't they, Rumil? Because you were worried that they might tell you those things?" Rumil nodded against Celeborn's chest. "Good. I would be very hurt right here if I ever found out any of my children would think to lie to me, especially about one of my other children," Celeborn said, touching a hand to his own chest over his heart. "Now, tell me exactly what happened, and do not leave anything out."

- - -

Elrond and Celebrian had just finished putting up the last of the coverings on the windows when the elf stamped his foot. Celebrian turned and looked at Elrond with some concern.

"Oh, I forgot to wash my hand," he said in an upset tone, holding up the one he had touched Haldir's knee with. Celebrian giggled and practically hopped into her lover's arms.

"You'll just have to keep that hand in a pocket, then," she said, taking hold of his wrist and guiding it into the deep pocket on the side of her skirt.

"You are wicked," he replied as he nipped at her bottom lip.

"As are you," she gasped as the hidden hand moved against her.

Light suddenly flooded the room, and the pair hastily made an attempt to separate themselves. Unfortunately, each moved in a different direction, Celebrian turning, while Elrond simply tried to pull away. Elrond landed on his knees, and Celebrian's rear hit the floor, putting them in an even more awkward position, as Elrond's hand was still caught.

"So, he is here!" said Orophin as Haldir pulled the curtain down over the door again. "Good to see you, Lord Elrond!"

As Elrond and Celebrian untangled themselves, the brothers made to help the pair up off of the floor. When everyone was standing once again, Celebrian glared from one brother to the other. "What is the meaning of constantly barging into my room?" she demanded. "Was it not clear when you saw the doors and windows blocked?"

Grinning, Haldir crossed his arms and said, "Needed a place to hide, and assumed we'd get a free show coming in here." He paused, looking at the spot where the pair had been sprawled on the floor. "And, we did."

"Go hide somewhere else, you rogue!" Celebrian said, giving Haldir a shove in the direction of the door.

Haldir frowned and looked slightly disappointed before smirking and heading to the bed. He pulled a strawberry from the bowl, holding it up to his lips. "Actually, I've reconsidered your offer, my lord. What's more," he said, flopping onto the bed as he bit the fruit, "I've brought a friend." He waved a hand in Orophin's direction.

"Haldir, if you've been making deals for sexual favors again without my permission," said Orophin, narrowing his eyes, "I'd just like to say…may we also invite that delightful red-headed guardian?" His eyes were lit up now, and all three other occupants of the room rolled theirs at him.

Elrond opened his mouth, determined to make a jest about Orophin's use of the word 'again', but the curtain was thrown back abruptly. Everyone in the room stopped what they had been doing immediately as the Lord of Lorien came into the room.

Celeborn looked around at the four occupants, giving Haldir a particularly nasty look and clearing his throat, then looking at an open space near the rest of the standing elves. Haldir swallowed hard and quickly made his way to the spot, standing straight as Celeborn relaxed slightly.

"I have but one question," said Celeborn, acting as if seeing Elrond standing in the room was a most natural thing. "I would like to know which of my children told my precious little baby that his hand was going to be tied to his bow, consequently causing him to cry and ruin my robes for dinner."

One by one, the other elves turned to look at Haldir who mumbled something in a quiet voice. Celeborn stepped up to him and said, "Louder, Initiate," in reference to Haldir being in training to become a warden.

"I told him that. Sir." Haldir bowed his head. "I am sorry."

"That you were caught," Celeborn finished for him. Haldir shuffled his feet slightly. "Draw your weapon," he instructed.

Haldir blinked. "I left my bow in my room," he began, but was cut off.

"Draw your weapon," instructed Celeborn, his patience wearing thin. Haldir lifted his sword from its scabbard, the heavy weapon cumbersome in his hands. "Guardians must be proficient with bow, knife, and sword, is that not correct, Initiate?"

Haldir nodded, noting that the others had stepped further back into the room. From his waist, Celeborn unsheathed a long knife, curved, and half the length of Haldir's sword. "How well do you fight with your weapon?"

Haldir licked his lips and shook his head. "I do not know."

"Let us see. Prepare yourself." Celeborn lifted his knife, and Haldir his sword. It took the Lorien Lord less than a minute to disarm his son. Celeborn shoved his own weapon into its casing and walked to where Haldir's sword had hit the ground.

"Bring me that, Elrond," Celeborn said, pointing to the rope that had been left discarded on the bed. Elrond decided not to hesitate, and grabbed the rope quickly, taking it to Celeborn. "Take your sword, Initiate," said Celeborn, holding the weapon by the blade. Haldir did as he was instructed.

Seizing the rope from Elrond, Celeborn wrapped it around Haldir's hand and the hilt of the sword and knotted it, though the rope itself was not overly tight. "When you have learned how to keep your sword in your hand, you may ask me to untie this rope. Until then, I suggest you think of a clever way to continue your everyday activities," advised Celeborn. "A good guardian never drops his weapon."