Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
The drifts were so deep outside of the Last Homely House that Erestor did not take his horse for fear he might cause injury to her. Instead, he hitched two pair of sled dogs normally used when traveling outside of the valley in winter and set off to determine whether nature believed he be right or wrong. On what should have been one of the happiest days, pride and anger overruled, and as one couple celebrated the joyous occasion, another held a heated argument that led to disaster.

It was a flippant comment, one made without much thought as to the content. They were walking from the ceremonial grounds to the hall where dinner would be served when Erestor said to Glorfindel...

“For a political marriage, they certainly do put on a good front.”

Glorfindel turned his head and looked at Erestor incredulously. “It might be politically advantageous for them both, but there is no lack of love between them.”

“I am sure they will learn to love one another,” added Erestor as they continued to walk along the corridor, “but the purpose of this marriage is both socially and governmentally important.”

“That might be so,” countered Glorfindel, “but two people do not marry simply because it looks good on paper.”

“In most cases, of course not. But when the parties are known royalty, or hold an office of import, then these matters must be considered and in most cases acted upon.”

“Next you are going to tell me that our relationship is built around political advantage.”

Erestor now looked to his companion and said, “Obviously, at its core.”

The admission stunned Glorfindel, and he grasped Erestor’s elbow and pulled him aside to allow others to pass. Some slowed as they watched the exchange, which was now reduced to angry whispers. “Explain yourself,” demanded Glorfindel as he dropped his hand away.

“I sought you out when you arrived because there are few who hold the stations we do, and fewer still with the.. romantic interests we mutually possess.” Erestor was both confused and irritated that they were being delayed, but he continued. “We have managed to build a relationship of love and devotion, but at the center—“

“I do not believe what I am hearing,” murmured Glorfindel as Erestor continued his explanation. He suddenly placed his hands upon Erestor’s shoulders and interrupted him with, “Erestor, I fell in love with you upon first sight.”

“Well... that is nice, I guess,” he replied uncertainly.

“And while I can believe that you did not immediately do so, I know that you managed to come to your senses and love me now.” He said this almost teasingly, but Erestor still narrowed his eyes a bit.

When the pause was significant enough for Erestor to realize he was to respond, he said, “Of course I do.”

“Most sensible people can recognize their soul mate when they meet them,” continued Glorfindel, who now moved his hands from Erestor’s shoulders. “While it was, on other levels, an advantage for Elrond and Celebrian to wed, they started their relationship on the basis of romance and love, not trade agreements and export prices.”

Erestor waited to see if there was more, but when Glorfindel looked to the wall as if waiting, Erestor said, “I disagree.” Glorfindel’s frown deepened as he listened. “They both knew who the other one was at the onset – before they met, in fact. It was all arranged by Celeborn for them to meet. I am happy for them, yes, that they were able to find common interests over which to bond, but by no means does that mean that this marriage is not political.”

“Oh, for Manwe’s sake!” Glorfindel began on his path to the hall again, with renewed vigor. Erestor was left behind for only a moment, for the advisor made haste in order to catch up with his lover. “If you do not believe me, perhaps hearing it from them will change your mind.”

“I doubt they shall be honest about it,” argued Erestor. Their voices were loud enough now for other guests to hear them, and some even stepped aside as the couple marched down the hallway and into the room, stopping only when they were made to wait their way through the receiving line. Arms were crossed over their chests, neither one looking at the other and only exchanging the briefest of pleasantries, which were utterly forced, when others came up to greet them.

When they reached the newlyweds, no congratulations were offered. Instead, Glorfindel said impatiently, “My lord, my lady, will you please set this nonbeliever straight and declare to him that your love is both true and strong?”

The outburst of sorts confused Elrond, but he took hold of Celebrian’s hand nonetheless, too happy to care about oddities this day. “From the very beginning, she and I both knew in our hearts that this day was before us. Now that it is here, I find myself blessed tenfold what I expected.” He lovingly turned and kissed Celebrian lightly on the lips.

Glorfindel looked to Erestor with a smirk. “Satisfied?”

“Hardly,” said Erestor, his eyes dark, his face reddening in embarrassment. While Glorfindel seemed to be able to get away with the unconventional, Erestor was a thorough believer in etiquette. He bowed to the couple and said to them, “May your marriage be blessed this day, and may your love grow to overcome the political nature of this union.”

Celebrian looked confused, while Elrond was slightly shocked. “This is not about politics, my friend,” said Elrond carefully. “We are truly and deeply in love.”

“Now will you admit that you were wrong?” pressed Glorfindel.

Erestor snorted in contempt, and rolled his eyes. “There is more going on here than you know.”

Glorfindel threw his arms up towards the sky and demanded, “Why do you always have to ruin things with your stubbornness? Why can you not just admit you are wrong?”

“I will admit that when the Bruinen freezes over!” he growled as he left the room.