Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
When Glorfindel arrived at the river, he was easily able to find Erestor. Lindir had alerted him of the situation early in the day, and after completing a few tasks, Glorfindel retrieved his horse from the stables. Most horses would not make it through the drifts, but those that Glorfindel owned were tall and hearty, and he had little trouble making it through as they slowly followed the path that Erestor left in his wake.

The dogs were waiting on the shore, still tied to the sled. Glorfindel dismounted and gave the lead dog a pat on the head as he passed. He took a few steps out onto the ice and for a little while just stared at the figure who was standing on the middle of the frozen water.

One of the dogs barked, which caused Erestor to look over his shoulder. His gaze met Glorfindel’s, and no words needed to be said. As Erestor looked away, Glorfindel called out to him, “Come on. We should get back to the house. It will be dark soon, and Elrond will send someone to look for us if I do not check in with Lindir.”

There was no verbal response, but Erestor did make his way back over the ice until he was standing between the dogs and Glorfindel’s horse. “Your transportation looks a little tired,” noted Glorfindel of the sled dogs. “You should let them pull the sled back empty, and ride with me.”

It seemed that Erestor was about to protest for the sake of protest, but there would be no logic in his argument. The dogs were still panting from the exertion, and the return trip would put extra unnecessary strain upon them. He still said naught, but walked to the war horse and mounted. Glorfindel stepped over to the dogs and gave the lead a command to return to the house, sending the pack trotting off the way they had come.

“We might be delayed in returning. With two of us riding and the snow so deep, I would not want something to happen.” Glorfindel did not receive or expect a reply, and he mounted the horse now, taking up residence behind Erestor. The simple motion of taking hold of the reins cued the horse to turn about and head back to the settlement.

A little while later, as the sky darkened from hazy grey to a brilliant deep, bright blue, Glorfindel began to gaze up at the stars that shimmered above. “I remember when last we rode like this. It was only a few days before the wedding,” he said, referencing the ceremony for Elrond and Celebrian. “We were meeting several others for a picnic and you had just had your horse readied for the entourage that would march in – bathed, brushed, and mane braided exquisitely. We wanted to attend the gathering, but you were insistent that your work would be ruined. I remember that when we arrived, someone made the comment that we were so close to one another, that it was surprising the wedding was not ours.”

Still, nothing. In desperation, Glorfindel tried a question instead. “Did that argument make you hate me so much that you still refuse, after all this time, to speak to me? I tire of using Lindir as the messenger, Erestor. Or is it that you no longer love me at all as you once did?”

Such an accusation brought the years of silence to an end. “You know I still love you.”

Glorfindel transferred the reins to one hand, and used his other arm to encircle Erestor’s waist and pull him closer. “That was all I needed to hear. I have missed you too much for too long. Forget the disagreement – you are probably right about the political motives.”

“You do not believe that.”

“I will if it brings us back together. Some things are too silly to remain angry over.”

Silence lingered once more, until the big house and its many additions were in sight. “Will you have dinner with me tonight? Just you and I, at my house?” He added a ‘please’ after the pause exceeded his liking.

The close proximity of his dear companion, whom he had cast aside, whom he had obviously hurt to a point that Glorfindel was willing to deny his own convictions, was having a greater effect on Erestor than he had anticipated. “I will join you,” said Erestor finally. He knew that Glorfindel was grinning, despite being unable to see him.

“I need to return my horse, but we will ride to the house so that you are able to avoid the snow. Do not worry about the dogs,” he added, seeing the pack had returned and were waiting by the barn. “I will take care of them as well. Meet me in an hour.”