Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Lindir stepped out into the hallway as soon as he hear the knock on his door. The milkmaid smiled sweetly and reached into her basket. “The last one again, I am afraid. My poor cows are refusing to give much milk again today.”

“Thank you so much for stopping by.” Lindir was counting the coins he had pulled from a pouch when he heard the door at the end of the hall open. He looked up and greeted the approaching Elf. “Good morning, Glorfindel. I trust you slept well last night?”

“Indeed.” Glorfindel turned his attention to the maid and said, “I am glad to have found you before you ran out of your wares.”

“Alas, that has happened already. Master Lindir was about to purchase the last pint.”

“Really?” Glorfindel reached into his own pocket and pulled out a handful of coins, not bothering to count them. “I shall pay twice his price for the same goods.”

Before Lindir had a chance to object, the milkmaid exchanged the bottle for what Glorfindel had in his hand, which was really close to thrice the going rate. She gave a curtsey to Glorfindel, an apologetic look to Lindir, and went back down the hallway to her own house. Lindir frowned as he dropped his coins back into the pouch. “I suppose you have company you are entertaining who need that more.”

“He is a terrible bear if he does not get his way,” remarked Glorfindel immediately.

“Hmm, yes, I noticed.” Lindir began to smile. “I suppose that means that the river was frozen.”

“Of course it was,” replied Glorfindel as he slid something from his finger. “By the way, might you return this to Elrond for me? He likely needs it urgently, and I would hate for Erestor to find out... well, I must return before he notices I am gone,” said Glorfindel as he placed the item into Lindir’s palm. “Make sure that gets back to Elrond as soon as possible, and do not lose it!” He hurried back to his house, closing and locking the door behind him as Lindir stared at the sapphire ring in his palm, shaking his head at it.