Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Come with me.”

Erestor had been sitting on the main counter in the library, reading a raunchy novel out loud to the two blushing librarians who were on duty. Glorfindel’s appearance did nothing to faze him, but the younger assistant librarian scrambled to appear busy with his transcriptions, while the head librarian grabbed a bunch of books in her arms and scurried off into the stacks (dropping two along the way) to put them back on the shelves.

Erestor slid off of his perch and flicked out a handkerchief that had been tucked up his sleeve and used it to mark his place in the book. He placed it on the desk in front of the assistant and whispered a few words into the flushed-faced librarian’s ear before he sauntered up to Glorfindel. “Not even evening, yet, m’lord.”

“Wicked boy. Follow me.” Glorfindel waited until they were beyond the doors before he said, “So this is what you do in your free time.”

“I enjoy knowledge.”

“I meant the corruption of my library staff,” he corrected.

Erestor smiled. “They hardly need my help. I have found librarians to be among the most lecherous and lascivious minded folk.”

“Really?” Glorfindel’s voice was incredulous. “They are so proper, so polite—“

“So they put on a good front. The thing about librarians is that they know everything, and I mean everything.” Erestor gave Glorfindel a sideways glance. “Everything,” he repeated.

Glorfindel processed this comment. “Maybe we should invite them into the basement.”

“Interesting idea.” Erestor paused beside Glorfindel as the footmen at the main entrance pushed the doors open for them. “Should I change into better shoes for travel?”

“We are riding to our destination. Time is of the essence. I will have someone bring your riding boots and horse to meet us there.” Glorfindel waved a page over from the steps and gave these instructions to the lad before he hurriedly led the way to his own mount, already saddled and pawing the ground anxiously.

“Same horse?” Erestor gave the creature a wary look. “Are you certain you will not overexert her, carrying both of us?”

“She will be fine. This is my warhorse. She is used to being fully armored.”

As Erestor watched Glorfindel mount, he called up to him, “Try this, then. How is it going to look – both of us riding on the same horse?”

“I see horses carrying two people often,” said Glorfindel.

“A parent and a child. A man and a woman.” Erestor crossed his arms over his chest. “There are some things I refuse to indulge you.” This comment was given quietly, and made Glorfindel bristle. “Punish me for my insolence later, but I will ride my own horse wherever it is that we are going.”

“Fine,” replied Glorfindel tersely. The page was already leading another horse from the stable, and Glorfindel gave a sharp whistle. The boy ran over, leading the horse. “You will need to go without your boots, though.”

“Fine.” Erestor mounted quickly and pulled up beside Glorfindel. He leaned over to the sour-faced Elf-lord and said for only him to hear. “Behind closed doors, you can strike me, whip me, and sodomize me to your heart’s content, master, but in public, I will ride my own horse.”

“You are really asking for it when we return home,” answered Glorfindel just as quietly as he reached over and rubbed the neck of Erestor’s mount. His hand slid down to grasp a leather strap of the reins. Glorfindel discretely wound it around the closer of Erestor’s wrists. “You would enjoy it too much. A better punishment would be to leave you tied up for the night.” Glorfindel looked over to the page nearby. “Bring Erestor’s boots to the tower.”

Erestor suddenly looked worried. “Why are we going to the tower?”

“If we were riding the same horse, I would have the time to tell you. I guess now you will find out when we get there.” Glorfindel started off down the path, and Erestor hesitantly trailed after him.



* * *

As soon as they had reached the Tower of Turgon, their horses were whisked away by efficient members of the staff and they were ushered inside. Glorfindel led the way through the tall palace, with Erestor keeping just a few steps behind. When they reached the throne room, Glorfindel paused at the door. “When you are presented to the king, bow low, one leg back, knee to the floor.”

“I know how,” Erestor assured him. “The tutors you provided made sure I would not make a fool of myself in these sorts of situations.” Nonetheless, Erestor’s palms were moist with sweat, and he wiped them as discretely as possible on the sides of his trousers. “I wish you would have allowed me to change my shoes.”

“He will not notice,” said Glorfindel. He nodded to the herald at the doorway, who gave a nod to a pair a few feet away. They raised their horns to their lips and blasted out a short fanfare as Glorfindel and Erestor began to walk up the aisle towards the three thrones.

“His Lordship Captain Glorfindel of the House of the Golden Flower, and his associate.”

“Is that what you are telling them I am?” muttered Erestor as they continued to the front. Glorfindel said nothing, and bowed first as he reached the bottom step of the platform that contained the thrones. Turgon sat upon the middle seat, while Idril was to his left. The chair to his right where his sister typically sat was vacant at the moment. Erestor followed Glorfindel’s lead, and then stepped off to the side with him. There were six banners hanging on either side of the chamber, and they moved to an area of the court that was adorned in gold and green.

Turgon stood up, his crown heavy on his brow, his staff held in his right hand. “Now that we are all here,” he announced, “we can proceed with the matter at hand.” Around the room were various members of the nobility and of high-rank. Most notably, all of the captains of Gondolin were present. “As most of you have been made aware, my sister is to take a leave of absence and will need an escort to accompany her. I have appointed three whom I love and trust as much as I do my own family. In choosing them, they must make official their intentions for the stewardship of their houses in their absence.”

Idril joined her father. In lieu of a queen, Turgon relied on his sister and daughter to actively participate in the tasks his wife would have otherwise. The princess placed a hand upon the staff her father held and called out, “The Kingdom of Gondolin calls forth the House of the Fountain. Lord Ecthelion, you have been chosen to escort Princess Aredhel into the wilderness. Who shall lead your house in your stead?”

Ecthelion came forward, and beside him a lady often present in the court. He bowed, while she curtseyed, and he said, “It is my honor to serve my king and my country in whatever way my king sees fit. In my absence, the House of the Fountain shall be overseen by Galadwen, Lady of the Fountain.”

“Your choice has been noted and approved.” This came from the king himself, after which the same question was posed to Egalmoth.

The Lord of the Heavenly Arch came forth, and presented his son Egaldir to the king for consideration. When there was an uncertain pause, Egalmoth added, “He has been trained as a fine warrior, and possesses much wisdom despite his young age.”

“So noted. Your choice is approved,” said the king.

Now Idril’s next words jolted Erestor out of his confused stupor. “The Kingdom of Gondolin calls forth the House of the Golden Flower. Lord Glorfindel, you have been chosen to lead the escort of Princess Aredhel. Who shall lead your house in your stead?”

“There is no honor greater than to serve my king. My absence from my house will go unnoticed, for the House of the Golden Flower shall be overseen in my stead by Erestor of the House of the Harp.” Glorfindel gave Erestor a look that meant for him to join him, and dumbfoundedly he did, and nearly forgot to bow to the king again.

The king’s eyes scrutinized the pair before him. “It is a strange choice for one to allow someone of another house to oversee their own.”

“It is not so strange if the person chosen is the Lord’s own consort.”

This comment received more than a few raised brows and gasps of surprise. Galadwen, for her part, fainted, and had she not been standing beside her husband might have crumpled to the floor. Turgon blinked, and then walked down the steps and stood directly before Erestor, though he addressed Glorfindel. “A male consort.”

“Indeed, he is. If he were not male, a marriage would be much more convenient and much less questioned,” responded Glorfindel.

“And if this choice is denied? Whom shall you choose?”

Glorfindel did not even flinch. “No one. If this choice is unsuitable, then your trust in me is in question, and I shall be forced to step down from my position.”

Turgon shifted his gaze to Glorfindel. “My permission is given conditionally, upon an interview privately with your consort.”

“As you wish,” said Glorfindel. He bowed, and backed away, back into his area of the court.

Idril stepped down from the platform and bowed her head toward Erestor. “Please, follow me.”