Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"Nana?"





"Nana?"



"Nana!"


"Mmmphh."


The elfling perked up his ears and scampered around to the other side of the bed, dragging a worn stuffed horse with him. "Adar?"

"Hmm…aye, what is it?"

"Adar," said the elfling. "I have some very startling news."

Celeborn blinked a few times and focused on his son. "And what is that?"

"I have come to inform you that I just had a terrible dream."

"Did you?"

"Concerning dragons."

"I see. Well, fear not, it is very unlikely that a dragon would ever come this close to Lothlorien."

Haldir sighed. "It *didn't* come to *Lothlorien*, it was *over* a *lake*."

"Darling, what's wrong?" asked a deep sleepy voice.

"Rest, Galadriel, Haldir read another of those stories about dragons and has let his imagination run away again," said Celeborn, pulling back the covers so that he could get out of the bed.

"No!" Haldir stomped his foot. "I didn't imagine it! I dreamed it!"

"That is the same thing," Celeborn said through clenched teeth as he stood.

"It is not," growled Haldir, his grip tightening on the poor stuffed horse.

"Enough!" Celeborn shook a finger down at Haldir, surprised that the elfling had not jumped back or flinched. "This is nonsense, talking of dragons. You are in Lothlorien, and there are no dragons here!"

"It was over a lake," repeated the elfling in a determined voice, staring up at the elf that stood so high.

"Fine. Over a lake. But not here. Now, shall I escort your to your bed, or do you recall the way on your own?"

The Elfling's hardened expression fell in an instant, the stuffed horse suddenly hanging loosely from his hand. "You're sending me back to my room?"

"We've determined there are no dragons in Lothlorien," concluded Celeborn. "Good night."

"But I don't want to sleep all by myself," blurted out Haldir, holding back his tears. "I'm all alone…and it is so dark…"

"There is nothing wrong with sleeping by yourself," Celeborn said, motioning to the door.

"Then *you* sleep in my bed and let *me* sleep with Nana," said Haldir.

"Celeborn."

The elf lord turned to look at the bed where his wife was sitting up. Switching to a language Haldir would not understand, she said, "He is truly afraid. He believes he truly saw a dragon."

"I know where this is going, dearest. He had better not be a kicker like Celebrian was."

Galadriel smiled and blew her husband a kiss, and then extended her hand out to Haldir. "Your thoughts are troubling you?"

"I had a bad dream," he said, approaching closer and taking her hand. He only managed three of her fingers in his small palm. "I don't think I should have to go back to my own room tonight."

"Do you wish to rest with us?" asked Galadriel, pulling Haldir's hand so that he had little choice but to climb onto the bed.

"Only if Adar is going to stay," said Haldir, drawing his horse to him and finding a comfortable spot in the middle. Celeborn stretched and contemplated going to his study for a bit, but settled back into bed. Haldir made an attempt to cuddle against each parent, but failed as he was being given too much space. Finally, with another exasperated sigh, he said, "I think I need to be snuggled up."

"Oh, do you?" Galadriel rearranged her pillows, scooting closer to the center of the bed. "There, how is that?"

"And Adar, too," directed Haldir. He kissed his stuffed horse and handed him to his Nana so that she could find a safer place for his beloved animal - there just wasn't enough cuddle room for an elfling and his mighty steed.

Celeborn drew up the blankets so that all three were comfortably nested in the bed, squished together in the middle. "Are we settled now?" asked Celeborn, but he received no answer, for Haldir had already drifted into reverie.

Galadriel sighed and brushed back a few stray locks of hair from her son's head. He had wildly curly blonde hair now, but she knew it would not last longer than another year or two, and made a note in her mind to have someone sketch him before he lost this charming appearance. She was tapped on the arm, and looked up, finding herself suddenly being very soundly kissed by her husband while Haldir remained unawares between them.

"How many more 'bundles of joy' should we have?" asked Celeborn softly, kissing the forehead of the tiny elfling.

"Four, I think," said Galadriel, as Celeborn answered his own question with, "Perhaps two."

The pair looked up at one another, and after grinning for a moment, each held up three fingers.