Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Over the next week, Celebrian repeatedly offered to move things in the house so that Haldir could have his own room, but Haldir remained on the couch in the parlor. On the eighth day of his stay, he entered the kitchen for breakfast and declared, “I need to do something.”

“I need to shear the sheep before they are tripping over their own wool,” said Glorfindel. “Or are you looking for something more adventurous?”

“Something less.. animal related,” Haldir said.

“Your mother was going to bake bread,” Celeborn informed him. “I am sure she would enjoy the company.”

Haldir scratched his head. “What are you doing today, Atadar?”

“Oh, nothing too exciting. I am taking a boat to the island; I need to give lectures today.” He paused. “Would you like to come with me?”

“Would you mind if I did?” asked Haldir.

Erestor shook his head. “I would enjoy the company,” he admitted. “I plan to leave right after breakfast. Will that work for you?”

“Whenever you are ready, let me know.” Haldir picked an apple and a pear from a bowl, and then walked out of the room to find Greyson.

Knowing what Haldir was up to, Erestor called out after him, “You can bring Greyson, too, if you like!”

------

Four times a year, Erestor traveled to Tol Eressea to guest lecture at the institute there. Because of the small population of the island, they hand only one school, and it served both as a place of elementary and higher education. Everything was housed in a single building, with six lecture rooms and four classrooms. Often he would stay the entire day, giving one long lecture in the late morning, and following it with two shorter lectures in the afternoon. On occasion, he might speak again at night and stay over at Cirdan’s house before he returned to Alqualonde.

Today, he started with a lecture on the subject of Second Age history in Middle-earth. He concentrated most of his talk on the roles of the Noldor, Sindar, and Silvan Elves in shaping the regions of the lands to the East. Haldir found the parts about Lindon and King Gil-Galad particularly interesting, and was surprised to note that so much time had passed when Erestor received his applause and thanks for the lecture.

“I really enjoyed listening to you,” said Haldir as they were having lunch. There was an inn nearby, and it was mid-summer, allowing them to sit outside with Greyson. Greyson switched between gnawing on a bone the innkeeper brought out with their meals, and fretting over the leather collar that Haldir put around his neck before they left. “Stop that, Greyson. You need to keep it on so no one thinks you are some mongrel dog come to attack their flock.” Haldir readjusted the collar despite a minor amount of whimpering from his companion. “Hush. Chew on your bone.”

“If you like, you could come with me the next time I make it out here,” offered Erestor. “I have another session coming up at the end of autumn. You could even help me prepare the talk, or at least give some input on the topics I should cover.”

Haldir picked up his fork now that his wolf decided that the bone was much more interesting than the collar. “I think I would like to get back into academia,” he said. “I really enjoyed teaching mathematics when Elrond let me do that in Imladris. Do you think anyone would have need of an instructor of arithmetic?”

“I am sure you could find work in that field,” said Erestor. He poured honey into his tea and stirred it thoughtfully, minding the billowy sleeves that noted his profession and rank in the scholarly community. “Are you interested in higher level education, or elementary work?”

“I suppose wherever I can be of use,” Haldir said. “I would take whatever opportunities were available. I just want to sink my teeth back into it as it were.”

“Speaking of sinking teeth into things, I fear we might be in debt for a chair.” Erestor pointed down at Greyson, who learned that the oak wood of the chair leg was very tasty.

“Bad dog. Wolf. Bad boy!” Haldir reached down and pulled Greyson’s collar to get the wolf to sit up. “I just cannot take you anywhere, can I?” he asked. Greyson licked his cheek, and then grinned his wolfy grin. “Next time, you stay home,” he declared as he went to fetch the innkeeper and pay for the ruined chair.


The first afternoon lecture was as well-attended as the morning session, but it was the second afternoon lecture that was standing room only. It seemed that perhaps all of the islanders were in attendance, for the range in ages varied from little ones sitting on the floor of the stage itself as Erestor paced from one side to the other, speaking as much with his voice as he did with his hands, the flow of the fabric of his robes emphasizing his movements, to Elves that may well have been his elders sitting or standing in the hall. When he finished, almost an hour past his time, there was applause, and an opportunity for questions. Erestor took them all, even though it meant another hour of sitting for Haldir.

As Erestor stood at the doors leading out, shaking hands, receiving compliments, and answering quick questions, Haldir stood beside him. A few times, Erestor would turn to him to introduce someone or get his son’s opinion on the topic. When the hall was just about empty, a familiar face smiled upon the pair. “Good evening!” began the conversation, for the skies were already darkening.

“Rumil! What an honor!” Erestor clasped one of the loremaster’s hands with both of his and smiled brightly. “I did not know you were here; I would have invited you personally!”

“Actually, I came especially for your lectures today,” admitted the older Elf. “I would have greeted you earlier in the day, but I did not want to make you nervous,” he explained. “Haldir, it is good to see you as well!”

Haldir bowed his head. “It is always a pleasure.”

Rumil stood to the side as the final few members of the audience exited before he spoke again. “Are you returning to the mainland right away?”

“I sense that you are hoping we will not,” guessed Erestor.

“Ever perceptive. I have something I would like to talk to you about, if you have the time.” Rumil smiled to Haldir. “Nothing that needs to be addressed in private, just something that requires more explanation than could be provided in a letter.”

“If I had been traveling alone, I might have imposed upon Cirdan,” Erestor explained. “Perhaps, you would not mind traveling back with us this evening, where we can host you tonight and bring you back in the morning?”

“You would not even need to bring me back,” said Rumil. “In fact, let us begin the discussion as we travel. You may find yourself following me.”