Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Paint. Every color on your list.” Haldir lifted one of the crates down to Glorfindel and another to Erestor. “There is also a big container of white and another of grey. I have brushes and cleaner, and pans for the paint. There are several boxes of nails in here somewhere. Orophin offered to build the replacement doors, and paint them for us before they were brought here, so I left some of the paint with him. He was offered space in town, and he even took on an apprentice to help him. He seemed to think that would be much more efficient than trying to build things up here only to find out he did not have the proper tools. I hope that was alright.”

Erestor nodded. “That will help us, actually. I am sure he is going to build nicer doors than I could.”

Glorfindel nodded as well. “I just paint. And tell everyone this is a good idea.” He hoisted a crate on his shoulder and carried it to the nearest of the houses.

“I also started to work on your other list. I posted a notice in several places in the Tirion market and I spoke to one of the archivists. She said she was going to do some research for us to see if anyone who used to teach here still lives near here,” explained Haldir.

“Excellent. That will help us out a lot. Anything that we can get someone else to do,” said Erestor as he took the boxes of nails that Haldir handed to him and set them on top of one of the paint crates. “How are we doing with our budget?”

“Not bad,” said Haldir. “So far, I have only had to pay for the brushes and the nails. The paint was offered once I explained what we were doing. Apparently, the artisan had two sons who went through the school and he seemed to have fond memories of it all.”

“That is wonderful. When I next go into town, I want you to come along and introduce me so that I can personally thank him.”

Glorfindel approached again for another crate. “When you return to town, we are running low on food.”

“Oh, I took care of that. Actually, Orophin and I did.” Haldir moved another crate of paint to reveal a few small sacks of cornmeal, walnuts, and other foodstuffs. “It should be enough for a few weeks, but the plan is that I am going to pick up more when I retrieve Orophin and the doors, so you will not need to worry about stretching it out. I just could not manage the weight of it along with the other supplies.”

“It should be more than enough for us until you return,” Erestor assured his son. “There are many fruit bearing trees in the vicinity, and we found a few other edible plants near the stream.”

Once the cart was emptied, Glorfindel helped Haldir to load the large pieces of oak and pine from some of the trees they had removed from the path back into the cart to take to Orophin. The weight of the load meant that they had to hitch all four horses to the cart, leaving Erestor and Glorfindel alone with Greyson once Haldir set forth for civilization again.

“Do you think it good for him to spend so much time alone?” asked Erestor once the cart was out of sight.

“How long is the journey, two hours? Three?” Glorfindel put an arm around Erestor and pulled him closer. “I think he wants a little time alone right now. Yes, of course, he needs all of us, but he also needs to figure out a few things on his own.”

***

Six days passed, and then as promised, the cart returned with Haldir and Orophin. They brought with them ample supplies for several months, as well as five new doors, primed and painted, and a surprise as well. Behind the cart was a carriage pulled by two sturdy workhorses, and after greeting Haldir and Orophin, Erestor looked around them to see who else had arrived.

“Lo, and what wonder in the wilderness,” came a voice from the carriage. A man stepped out, smiled to Haldir and Orophin, and bowed when he saw Glorfindel. “Well met. I am Enedrion.” He spied Erestor behind Haldir and Orophin and excused himself. “Lord Eresse.” He bowed again, and then hugged his old friend.

“So good to see you, Enedrion. I take it you are well?”

“As well as I can be,” said Enedrion. “I brought a friend.” He motioned to the carriage, and now a second person emerged. “I hope you do not mind.”

“Mahtan!” Erestor approached the burly red-head and hugged him as he had Enedrion. “So good to see you both!”

“We heard that you had some openings for instructors,” replied Mahtan.

“I do. I do not suppose either of you would have the names of any potential applicants?” Erestor grinned.

“Oh, we might be able to come up with a name or two.” Enedrion winked at Mahtan and then looked around. “Seems like you have a lot of cleaning up to do before this place will be in shape for students and staff.”

Erestor looked over his shoulder. “We have already restored the library and three of the houses, plus the main building is shaping up well. The lawn will have to wait until spring; the winter will luckily kill off most of the weeds and we can start fresh. The bridge to the crafting halls needs to be repaired; I have not even looked over there yet. I do not know what the pond looks like. We might need to dredge it.”

As Erestor talked, Enedrion nodded and surveyed what he could see. “It appears you could use new benches in the courtyards as well, and perhaps a new platform for the outdoor stage. I think the steps are rotted as well.” He crossed his arms over his chest. “Well, go ahead and put us to work, headmaster. I think I might be able to persuade my wife to join us once I assure her there will be a warm and cozy place to stay up here. She can sew, and she might even be able to help with the lessons once you get the school going again. Which reminds me.. are you keeping with Rumil’s original plan?”

“Somewhat,” said Erestor. “We will keep the population at one-hundred and forty-four. I have not decided about all of it, though.” He motioned at Haldir and Orophin. “I would like to introduce you to my son, Haldir, and to his brother, Orophin.”

“Ah! A pleasure!” Enedrion turned and bowed again. “Fine looking sons,” he commended Erestor, though he did look quite amused at the idea. Mahtan bowed his head to the young Elves with a smile.

“Well.. only Haldir is my son—“ began Erestor.

“Oh, father! For shame!” exclaimed Orophin with a pout on his lips. “I knew you never loved me!” He turned his back on them, but only so that he could grin unseen.

“We have the same mother,” said Haldir, punching Orophin lightly in the shoulder. “It is very nice to meet you. Atadar does not talk much of his past.. perhaps I can persuade you to tell me some tales later,” said Haldir as Erestor made several motions at Enedrion that he should not speak to Haldir at all about anything. Glorfindel, too, looked quite curious and smiled and nodded with encouragement.

“I would love that,” said Enedrion. “Your father was very innovative. He was in the elite group at the school – or did he tell you about that already?”

“No,” said Haldir, looking over at Erestor. “He tells me very little of who he once was.”

“I shall have to remedy that.” Enedrion leaned against the carriage and looked around again. “He was probably the most diplomatic person here at the time. Brilliant, too. Feanaro would never have developed Silima had Eresse not defined the alchemaic tables.”

Haldir looked surprised. “I would not have expected that you dabbled in alchemy,” he said to Erestor, who was blushing fiercely and shaking his head at Enedrion.

“Dabbled? Far from the truth. He was very clever when it came to that field of study. He helped me understand my mathematics lessons far better than anyone else could have.”

“Math?” blurted out Haldir and Orophin at the same time. They both gave Erestor an incredulous look. Glorfindel narrowed his eyes at this and looked downright pissed.

“It was something I used to do quite well with,” Erestor admitted quickly, refusing to make eye contact with anyone. He frowned. “Well, we should have a look around, and see if there are any houses that your wife would approve of. I would not want any unhappy women on the grounds.”

“I only care about an upset wife!” Enedrion nodded to Haldir and Orophin. “We will speak more later,” he promised them. Enedrion then extended his hand to Glorfindel, who was trying to mask his unrest. “So sorry. I never gave you a moment’s time for a proper introduction. Shall we start again? I am Enedrion.”

“Glorfindel,” replied the blond curtly, though he did reach out to grasp Enedrion’s arm. “And, you are Mahtan?” he queried as the other Elf approached.

“Indeed. So.. you are him,” Mahtan said as he looked Glorfindel over. “An honor to meet you.”

“Oh.. right.” Glorfindel released hold of Enedrion to greet Mahtan.

“It is very good of you to aid Eresse with his project,” added Enedrion once Glorfindel let go of Mahtan’s arm and stepped aside. “I am sure you have more important matters to attend to.”

Glorfindel bit at his bottom lip and looked at Erestor. “Well, uh.. we have always been close, and I am happy to assist however I can.”

“And.. we are married,” said Erestor, after which, he held his breath and looked to Glorfindel for approval. Despite the earlier unexpected revelation, Glorfindel smiled, and Erestor sighed.

“Now that makes sense,” said Mahtan as Enedrion laughed and admitted, “Oh, that would have been odd. I was about to ask where your wife was, Erestor, but that seemed… well, obviously, you would not have a wife,” he said matter-of-factly. This tidbit once again caused Glorfindel to narrow his eyes, though he put Erestor under slightly less scrutiny than before.

“Well – let me help you reacquaint yourself,” Erestor offered Enedrion, and the pair walked briskly to the main tower.

The brothers waited until Enedrion and Erestor had walked away, and then Orophin said in a hushed voice, “Math. He knows math. So, either he is a very, very good actor—“

“Which he is,” Haldir reminded his brother.

“—or he played us that entire time—“

“Which he is also known to do.”

“Or he forgot it.” It was Mahtan who spoke. He had been walking back from the carriage and had caught the end of the conversation. “Or he prefers to forget it. He did know it once.”

“What happened? How do you just ‘forget’ something like that?” asked Orophin.

Mahtan shook his head twice. “Let it go. Some secrets are best left unknown.”

Glorfindel said nothing, standing quietly aside as the conversation took place. Greyson was suddenly at his side and nuzzled his hand as the others walked in the direction of the forges to assess their condition. “So many secrets,” whispered Glorfindel to the wolf when the others were out of range. “I only wish he would trust me with them.”