Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Typical days at the First Homely House of Valinor tended not to be quite so typical. Compared to the lives of the Elves in other parts of Aman, nothing seemed to happen in an ordinary way under Elrond’s roof.

The house itself was experiencing what Celebrian liked to call a ‘transitional period’. The intention had been that all of their extended family members would live in the house by the sea, one of only two buildings in what remained of Alqualonde. This had worked for a little while, but marriages and births caused what might have been a cozy home to become quite crowded.

When the dust settled, over half of the residents relocated. Most moved to Valimar, while some went to the outskirts, near the King’s Kastle, an inn that Thranduil had once run. The establishment was now owned and operated by Elrohir and his wife Glorcheniel, for Thranduil had retired to live in his father’s palace with his wife and elder son Ilmendin, and his wife.

Legolas, however, was much more prone to having an adventuruous nature. When Haldir suggested they stay at the Homely House with Elodien, Legolas offered no resistance to the idea. Also living in the house was Haldir’s wolf, Greyson. Haldir’s son, Gimlin, lived with his wife Mae-Tithen in a cottage upon a cliff overlooking the Homely House. At one time, it had been where Erestor and Glorfindel made their home, but they gifted it and the orchards to Gimlin (who is Erestor’s grandson) and his bride on their wedding day.

It meant that Erestor and Glorfindel had moved into the Homely House, which delighted the other occupants of the house, including Celeborn and Galadriel. For Haldir, it was an amusing thing to have his parents living under one roof, and he beneath it as well. For Rumil, it allowed for many witty jokes, ones which his wife, Nenniach, sometimes aided in setting up.

Elladan and his wife, a Maia by the name of Eluinė, also dwelled in the house, as did a bright pink flamingo by the name of Mitzi, who was a personal friend of Elwing. With the lack of residents and the abundance of open rooms, Elrond openly encouraged family and friends to visit at any time they wished.

It was remarked at times how wonderful it might be to have children running about the house again (usually by Elrond, who believed he had provided his share of progeny, and really just wanted to play with everyone else’s cooing babies at this point, which is sometimes the best way for it means being able to hand them back when a lip wibbles or a diaper needs changing). No one in the house seemed to have much of an interest in the prospect, except for Erestor, who was more than ready to entertain the idea – had it not been utterly biologically impossible, despite Glorfindel’s assurances that if he could conceive, he would have.

It so happened, on one such un-typical typical day, that Elrond entered the house with a sorrowful look on his face. He deposited himself on the couch and heaved a sigh of sadness that turned the heads of those in the parlor.

“What happened?” asked a concerned Celebrian. Her husband had left the house early in the morning three days ago, having been summoned by a frantic messenger. It was now late, the sun having set hours earlier. Celebrian joined her husband, and frowned at the blood that stained the front of his tunic. “What?”

“Just... something very tragic.” Elrond stared into the fire, shaking his head, blinking tears away.

“Did someone die?” Elladan joined his father on the other side, and placed a hand upon his shoulder. “I thought death was, well, I thought it did not happen here.”

“It happens. Sometimes,” said Erestor solemnly. He exchanged a brief glance with Galadriel, and both knew the other was momentarily recalling the kinslaying that happened on the very shores they lived upon.

Elrond continued to shake his head. “Every time I think I have seen it all, something like this happens.”

“What? Elrond, please, you are worrying me,” begged his wife.

Taking hold of Celebrian’s hand, Elrond gave it a squeeze. “There was an accident at one of the grain fields down the southern pass. A horse was spooked and the ellon lost control. He was trampled, hurt pretty badly. His daughter was sitting with him, and she fell and... it was some machine with sweeping blades for cutting wheat.”

“A scyther,” offered Erestor.

“I think so,” said Elrond. “I was less worried about what happened and how, and more on how to fix it.”

“But you managed to save them, right?” Celebrian prodded.

“Almost.” Elrond looked completely defeated. “When I got there, I found that he had been tended to and was resting comfortably. All I had to do was reset one of his legs. The little one, though... no one thought she would make it. So they just put her to bed and kept her sedated.”

Celebrian gasped and looked ready to cry, while Galadriel had a similar reaction. “How could anyone think to do such a thing?” she whispered as Celeborn put his arm around her.

“Keeping her sedated is what saved her, but if they had done more I may have had a better chance.”

Elladan looked confused. “So she made it? Or she might?”

Elrond was silent for a little while. “She is still alive, but I have no idea whether it is for the best or not. There were so many cuts on her. Her wrist was gashed and she was missing fingers on that hand, and... and no one had bandaged her up. I take that back, they wrapped a sheet around her arm so that they did not have to look at it. By the time I arrived, she had lost so much blood and there was an infection spreading into her arm.”

“She was brave, though,” continued Elrond as everyone listened attentively. “I told her what I had to do, and she refused to cry. I made it as quick as I could and I sang to her and... ai. Her parents... what is wrong with some elves these days? They could not understand why I bothered. I was told by her father she was useless to them now, and her mother informed me that they had wanted a son, not a daughter, anyway.”

“Why does Eru keep gifting stupid elves with children?” demanded Celeborn. “You would think there would be a screening process,” he mumbled to himself as Galadriel patted his hand.

“The amazing thing is that, indeed, they have a son. A perfect little baby they were doting over while their daughter slipped in and out of consciousness, her left arm severed at the joint.”

“You should not have left her there,” scolded Celebrian suddenly.

Elrond shook his head. “I had no intention of it, but she needed to stay and regain her strength before I could move her. When I told them I would be back for her, neither of them seemed to care.”

Erestor, who was sitting on the floor and deep in thought, felt the nudge against his shoulder. He looked around at Glorfindel, who simply nudged him again. Erestor began to open his mouth, but turned his head as Elrond again spoke.

“I am assuming there is someone in this room who would more than readily adopt her,” Elrond said, looking directly at Erestor.

“Two someones,” confirmed Glorfindel.

---

“...and you will have a new life, in my house. It is a very big house, with a farm where we grow corn and tap maple trees for syrup. We have horses there, and goats, and even a few sheep.”

“Do you have any cats?” asked Tintilien as Elrond fed her a thin broth. It was the first food the young one had managed to eat in a week, and Elrond was grateful when she asked for a second helping.

“We have a few,” answered Elrond. “I fear I do not know their names. Erestor keeps track of them, though. I am sure he will tell them all to you.”

“He will be my new Ada,” she said matter-of-factly. Elrond nodded with a smile. When he had gently mentioned the idea to the elfling after explaining to her parents what he intended to do (without any interference from them, not that he had expected any), she accepted it as if it was simply something out of the ordinary.

Erestor had wanted to come along, but Elrond made the decision that he would travel alone to tend to the child and bring her back. Although Erestor’s concern was valid, to ease the girl into her new life, Elrond was very aware of Erestor’s temper, and did not want to tend to the neglectful biological father of the elfling, should he and Erestor end up having a ‘discussion’ on parenting.

This turned out to be the best, for it gave everyone time to set up a nursery and find all of the toys and clothing that had been packed away once the last of the children had grown. Tintilien’s impending arrival brought a fair amount of concern to the inhabitants of the house. Exactly how old was she? Would she feel out of place? What were her favorite foods? Was she the sort who would accept Glorfindel as a mother figure as Gwindor had when he had been dropped off on the porch by his family so many years ago, or would she think it too strange and latch onto one of the ladies in the house instead?

No one was as nervous as Erestor, who had been pacing frequently that day. Now, standing by the front door as the carriage with Elrond and Tintilien approached, he took a deep breath and wrung his hands as he watched the horses get closer and closer.

“Stop fidgeting,” advised Celeborn as the carriage came to a stop. “Pretend you aren’t nervous, because otherwise, you are going to put the child ill at ease. Besides, why are you worrying? You happen to be a great father.”

With confidence renewed, Erestor smiled and stepped forward as Elrond ducked down to clear the doorway of the carriage. In his arms was a bundle, a little blonde elfling with curls spilling over her shoulder. She was wrapped in a pink and white quilt, and was sucking on her thumb despite looking a bit old for such behavior.

“Shhh... she fell asleep an hour ago. She needs the rest,” whispered Elrond as he carried her to the front door. Rumil opened the door quickly for him, and Elrond motioned with a nod of his head for Erestor to follow.

They made it to the nursery, and Elrond placed the elfling onto the bed. Then he stepped away, and made a sweeping motion with his hand. “Delivered, one elfling. Your move,” he said to his friend with a smile.

“Tintilien, right?” asked Erestor as he came forward, and Elrond nodded. Erestor knelt down at the side of the bed and tucked the pastel quilt around the elfling. He gave her a kiss on the brow and wished her goodnight, despite the fact she was sound asleep.

“See? Piece of cake,” whispered Celeborn from the doorway.

Erestor nodded and pulled the rocking chair out of the corner. “I think I may just stay here tonight. Then, someone will be here if she wakes up or needs something.”

Elrond nodded and silently left the room. Celeborn started to close the door, and then poked his head back in momentarily. “Told you that you were a good father,” he said, in case Erestor might dispute it later.

“I certainly hope so,” he said to himself in the darkness once everyone had gone.