Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"I am busy now, Naneth," replied the elfling, his hand hovering over the connected wooden pieces. One of the missing pieces of the puzzle was clutched in his fingers, held over a spot it obviously didn't fit in. The elfling set the piece to his left and picked up another piece.

"Erestor?"

Erestor ignored his mother this time, deep in concentration as he looked at the puzzle. He had two pieces and three spaces, and things were not looking well for him. It was possible some of the other children had stolen a piece from his toy - they often teased him for not joining in to play stick battle or tree climbing.

The elleth shook her head and went to find the elfling's father. She knew the journey had been a difficult one for all of the elflings, though Erestor had had a tougher time than most. He did not socialize with the younger members of the group; rather, he preferred to spend time speaking with the adult Elves.

A figure silently approached the confused elfling from behind as he traded the pieces again, still intent upon finding a solution with only two pieces. The magnificently cloaked rider stooped down next to the elfling. He had taken a particular interest in this member of the traveling party, for the young one was both wise and gentle, and he saw great things in his future.

Erestor put his piece back onto the ground and stood up, bowing low. "Lord Orome," he said, putting his hand properly on his heart as he addressed the Vala. "My apologies. I would appreciate talking to you, but I do not wish to leave my task unfinished."

Orome smiled and reached behind the elfling, sliding the missing piece from a point where Erestor could not have seen it hiding in the grass. Perking up, the elfling bent down to retrieve the piece, fitting it and the remaining ones in their proper places.

"Thank you, Lord Orome," he said, bowing once more. "Do you require me for something?"

The Vala continued to smile and shook his head. He stretched out his arm, drawing his hand across the finished puzzle. The pieces changed in color, broke apart, and rearranged, as if the wind had caught them just right and the rainbow splashed them with new hues.

Bowing a third time, Erestor said, "Thank you again, Lord Orome," and sat down to work on the new puzzle.

Not far away, the elleth shook her head and laughed softly. "Won't listen to his mother, I was going to tell him where that piece was."

"I am as stubborn as the day is long," said Erestor, which was likely not far from the truth, as the starlit days were never-ending. "If you do not show me, I am often at a loss," he admitted.

"You are incorrigible," replied his mother, walking back over to kiss him on the head, "but I love you all the same."