Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"That is a terrible way to fish," remarked Elrond, standing on the bank with his arms crossed behind his back. Though the ground was covered with snow and the sky was a dismal grey, he wore only a shirt, tunic, and heavy pants, shivering slightly because of this.

- - -

"Why did you just wear that if you were cold?" piped up Haldir.

Elrond sighed and looked up from the picture, having been interrupted. "Because I did not want to be different from the other elves."

"Different is what makes us special is what Ada says," offered Haldir.

Elrond nodded and continued the story.

- - -

"I asked them all to jump in the bucket and save me the trouble, but they seem not to want to listen," replied the Elvenking, who sat on the shore. He had leggings on that were rolled to his knees, and his feet were at the water's edge so that the waves of the sea lapped now and then at his toes. "Besides," he said as he twisted the reel to bring the line in a little, "I do not have anyone to take the boat out with me." Ereinion looked up and over his shoulder slyly.

"That is still a terrible way to fish, whether on land or in boat," said Elrond.

- - -

"Why was he fishing?" asked Haldir. "Was he not a King already?"

"He was, as I have already said," nodded Elrond. "That was his hobby. He liked to fish."

"Oh," said Haldir.

- - -

It was now that Ereinion noticed something that was mostly hidden behind Elrond's back. "What is that there?" he asked, standing up as he began to reel in the rest of the line.

"A better way to go fishing." Elrond brought the long pole around so that Ereinion could see it before handing it to him. It was a long ornately carved pole just slightly longer than Elrond was tall, and at the bottom there was a glint of metal, and a sharp point could be seen. "There are some men I have seen fish this way."

"This is not fishing, 'tis hunting," argued Ereinion, but he stood and took the spear from Elrond as he handed him his fishing pole. "I have run out of bait," he said, looking wistfully at the sea, "but I do have a boat."

"Should I find you a sailor?" asked Elrond, looking around.

Ereinion shook his head. "Come, your father was a mariner; the least you can do is paddle a canoe." Again, the sly look fell upon Elrond, and he laughed.

"Alright, alright, let us get the boat and test your spear," he answered.

- - -

"He went fishing with Aiglos?" burst out Haldir. Elrond closed his eyes and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "The same spear that he carried into battle he used to spike fish?"

"If you would like to continue the story, then please, by all means," said Elrond.

Furrowing his brow, the elfling said, "But I do not know the story."

"Then be silent!" answered Elrond.

Haldir pouted. "Sorry."

- - -

The pair walked up the beach toward the boathouse, but as they passed the archery field, Ereinion suddenly turned his head. Without warning, he tossed the spear up a bit to angle it parallel to the ground, and then grabbed hold of it, drew it back, and thrust it toward the target. The spear hit center and kept going, splintering the stand and sending the target to the ground.

"Elrond?"

"Yes, m'lord?"

Pointing toward the ruined target, Ereinion said, "If I use that to go fishing, we will not have to worry about cleaning the fish because there will not be anything left of them." Turning around, Ereinion continued to point. "Did you see how that cut through the target? It sliced right through, like an icicle through snow."

"Yes," Elrond answered, a bit dismayed. "I suppose you will not get much enjoyment out of it if you use it to go fishing."

"Nonsense," replied Ereinion as he walked to retrieve the spear. "Meet me by the shore with the canoe," he shouted. "I am not giving up an opportunity to see you paddle a boat!"

- - -

"So, he did go fishing with it."

Elrond closed the book and nodded. "Yes. Many times."

Haldir was quiet for some time, finally answering, "That just seems wrong. No offense, but..." The elfling shrugged. "That is not the sort of story I expected."

"What did you expect? A long glorious battle, the slaying of many enemies, and so on and so forth?"

"Well... yes."

Elrond's grey eyes darkened and he turned to look down upon the elfling beside him. "There are no glorious battles, no splendor in fighting. War is tragedy, all of it. Make no mistake in that. It leaves scars upon you that none can see, and the price of it is more than anyone ought ever have to pay." There was no answer, and Elrond asked, "Has anyone ever really told you about war?"

Slowly, Haldir shook his head. "I know one side fights another, for power or land or some other reason. I know sometimes..." Haldir looked carefully at Elrond. "I know sometimes, some of the warriors fighting get hurt, and sometimes, some of them die."

"War hurts us all." Elrond placed the book down on the floor by the side of the bed and folded his hands. "Aiglos was Ereinion's spear for fishing, but it saw battle as well, right to the day Ereinion-" Taking a deep breath, Elrond said, "Right to the day Gil-Galad died. Have you ever known someone who has died?"

"Lord Glorfindel."

"Have you known anyone who died and did not come back? Anyone whom you loved who was suddenly taken away from you?"

Shaking his head, Haldir squirmed a little. "You do not have to tell me," whispered Haldir. "I liked the story about the fishing, you do not have to tell me the rest."

"I have told you the beginning of the story," said Elrond gravely, "you should know the ending."