Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Hours and days weren’t counted as Orophin drove the horse back to Lothlorien. Riding across the border, he was flagged by fellow wardens, but weaved his way around his first coworker, jumping over the second, and barely missed the third. Onward he went, and was nearly thrown as a group came running into view. Led by Celebdreth, Rumil was not more than a few inches from the young elf’s heals. Orophin called for the horse to stop, clutching tightly to his waking cargo.

“We are home?” Haldir had not opened his eyes since they had left the Deep, and Orophin had prodded him often to be sure he wasn’t slipping away. Orophin pressed the back of his hand against Haldir’s forehead, frowning deeply as Celebdreth came to the side of the horse. Looking down, Orophin shifted Haldir off of the horse and into Celebdreth’s arms.

Celebdreth tried to warn Orophin as he dismounted. “Adar is most unhappy with-“, but his mouth snapped shut as Rumil marched himself forward. Orophin settled his feet on the ground, a bit unsteady after all of the riding. “Rumil! I have found-“

The youngest brother had drawn back his arm as he approached Orophin, and now thrust it forward in a surge of anger. Orophin landed on his rear, and he was well aware of the blood flowing from his nose as he gripped his face with his hand. “I have found Haldir,” he tried again, looking up at a very pissed and slightly blurry Rumil.

“I can see you found him,” spat Rumil. “I want to know what possessed you to go after him without me.” Rumil’s was breathing quite fast, and Orophin thought it best to stay on the ground lest he be knocked to it once again. Dropping to one knee, Rumil grabbed hold of Orophin’s shoulders, shaking him almost violently. “You abandoned me here, Oro! What would I have done if I’d have lost you both?” Letting go, Rumil quickly turned away. Orophin had seen tears brimming in his younger brother’s eyes, and he hung his head.

“Rumil, I-“

Rumil raised a hand to silence Orophin, not looking at him.

“Rumil, please-“

Again, more insistently, the hand was raised. Again, Rumil refused to look.

“Rumil.”

This voice was strained, cracked and labored. Haldir finally made the effort to open his eyes, searching out the youngest. “Rumil,” he tried again, but Rumil held his hand up now at Haldir.

“Do not think I am only angered with Orophin’s behavior.” Rumil approached Haldir, still held by Celebdreth, and pointed his finger as close as he dared into the face of the Captain. “Nana said you should recover in a week. One. Week.” It was a promise of some sort, one which Haldir did not wish to guess the meaning of, now seeing the state Orophin was in. Rumil made a rough clicking noise, and Haldir’s horse pushed past the elves, following behind the warden with head respectfully bowed, not wanting to be added to Rumil’s list.

Orophin waited until Rumil was out of earshot, then let out a low whistle as he stood, dabbing at his nose with his sleeve. He looked around, finding that Celeborn was there, as well as a few other wardens that had been left behind, and another angry elf.

The crack that sounded as Galadriel slapped her hand across Orophin’s face was audible even to elves some ways off. Rumil himself turned to look at what had transpired. Orophin set his face in stone, not budging, even as his nose once again began to bleed. “You disobeyed an order from your queen.” Not a single elf dared breath, not even Celeborn. Times were few when Galadriel referred to herself by title rather than name, and this particular title was not one that anyone wanted to hear when being addressed. Her eyes met his – the only child that stood slightly taller than she – and Orophin saw that unlike Rumil, she had not been able to keep the tears from running down her cheeks. “What would I have done if I’d have lost you both?” Galadriel looked to Celebdreth, making a motion toward the Great Mallorn. The young Galadhil nodded, slowly and carefully carrying Haldir to it. The lady took another look into Orophin’s eyes, then left in the direction of the tree herself.

Celeborn sighed, stepping up to Orophin. “I’m going to be redundant.”

Orophin raised a brow. “Shall I turn the other cheek, or do you want to punch me like Rumil did?”

Celeborn had a moment of confusion, then shook his head. “No, no, I’m not going to hit you.”

“Are you sure?” Orophin spread his arms out to his sides. “I won’t fight back.”

Celeborn considered it, then reached over and tugged Orophin’s ear. “That’s for making your mother upset. Please don’t do it again.” Celeborn motioned for Orophin to put his arms down, explaining further, “You weren’t the first one she’s slapped since Haldir left. Please. Don’t do it again.”

Orophin nodded.

Celeborn sighed again. “As I mentioned, I’m going to be redundant.”

“You’re being very redundant,” observed Orophin, and he received another tug on the ear.

Celeborn gave a small smile, letting it slowly fade as he gazed in the direction of the Great Mallorn. Finally, he said, “What would I have done if I’d have lost you both?”

Orophin shrugged. “I don’t know. But I wish someone would have wondered what I’d have done if I’d have lost him.”