Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
[Days Earlier, In Lothlorien]

“Lord Elrond has sent forth troops to aid in the coming attack in Rohan. I am to go with them, and lead as their captain. I expect none of you to follow me, for there will be a time near in the future when Lorien shall need every last able elf to defend it. I would not order any of you to fight in this alliance with men, for long has it been since we have fought alongside them, and not all those who come to their aid will return. But I will ask you to consider joining me, joining us, in this battle. For the good not of Rohan, but of all of Arda.” Haldir looked down at the many faces of the Galadhrim who had gathered under the Great Mallorn. He stood only a few steps up, but it allowed his voice to carry over the crowd, and to see all who had responded to the summons. “I am returning now to my flet to prepare myself for the journey. We will travel on foot, day and night to reach the battle. Those who wish to follow must see me this evening, and should be sure to rest well tonight. We leave at noon tomorrow.” Haldir leapt over the stairs, sweeping his cloak over his shoulder as he made his way through the crowd to the tree he and his brothers had laid claim to years before. Though they no longer lived in the tree with him, he stepped onto the lowest talan, his office, to find them standing next to his desk.

“We have followed you everywhere, brother, and we do not plan to stop now.” Orophin picked up a quill, dipped it into the jar of ink, and scrawled ‘Orophin Celebornion’ upon the page of parchment spread on the desk, before handing the quill to Rumil.

“I do not know if my son will join us, but there is not a battle yet that we brothers could not win.” The youngest of the brothers signed ‘Rumil Celebornion’ under Orophin’s signature, and let the quill rest in the jar of ink.

Haldir embraced each brother, smiling sadly. He had not the heart to tell them they would not be with his troops when they left that night. It was planned by Galadriel and himself that separate directions were to be given, depending on the elf. Any elf bonded to another, or with elflings of any sort, grown or otherwise, would not accompany the party. They would be told to head home, rest well, and gather after sunrise prepared to leave. Those without direct ties would be told to go home, but keep alert, and to gather when they heard song coming from the Great Mallorn. What would sound to others to be a mournful ballad sung by the Lady of the Golden Woods was really the call to arms to those who would go.

Haldir recited the first set of instructions to Orophin and Rumil before they left, finding it easier this time than it had been barely an hour earlier. He let his eyes fall apologetically to the first name upon the paper. Celeborn Galadhonion. “Forgive me, Ada,” he whispered before the other elves began to enter the room.

- - -

“Ready to go?” Orophin slid his knives into their scabbards on his back, then picked up his bow, slinging it over his shoulder. Next to him, Valarda was packing as many arrows as she could into her own quiver, as well as her husband’s and brother’s.

Rumil nodded, leaned down and kissed Nenniach from where she sat on a bench. Her eyes were swollen, having cried through the night. Next to her sat Celebdreth, the ‘Acting Captain of the Galadhrim’ in Haldir’s absence. His uncle had denied his request to join those going to aid the Rohirrim, stating that he had to leave the woods in the care of someone he trusted. Celebdreth to keep the outer defenses intact, and Dinendal for the inner city.

Celebdreth did not hold the same look of worry that his mother did, but his eyes swept shamefully to the floor as his father took a moment to dote upon him, remind him of his duties, and hug him fiercely before turning to leave with Orophin and Valarda.

“Wait.” The trio turned, eyes upon the young elf. “I am not supposed to say anything until noonday, but you will know when you go to look for him.” Celebdreth's eyes locked on his father’s questioning look, and simply he said, “He is gone.”

- - -

“You knew!?” Orophin’s rage mounted upon hearing his mother’s confession. “You knew, and you let him go, and you did not let us go with him!? Curse it all, curse your mirror, curse the Valar, curse-“

“Orophin!” Rumil hushed his brother, knowing who the next curse was directed to. Galadriel stood over the mirror now, but said nothing. The water in the basin rippled as her tears fell into it. Rumil laid his hands upon his brother’s shoulders, leading him to the stairs. “We can still catch up to him, they cannot have traveled far. Find Valarda, and we shall go.”

“Please, do not follow him.” Galadriel’s voice was a mere whisper on the breeze. Orophin’s hand waved off the plea.

“I forbid you to follow him.” Celeborn stood now at the top of the stairway. Orophin did not stop his ascent, nearly pushing past the older elf. A hand grasped his shoulder, pulling him around to a clutch of trees. Rumil followed, surprised to see, as they walked, a number of fellow Galadhrim whom he had thought were going to the battle wander the city with confused looks upon their faces.

“Your mother,” began Celeborn when he brought them to what he deemed was an appropriate distance from the garden, “nearly lost her daughter. She will lose a son. Do not make it three.”

Rumil gasped, clutching the nearest tree for support. Orophin’s eyes grew wide, and angrier. He slapped Celeborn’s hand from his arm, and began to run southwest.

“Orophin! Please! You can do nothing!” Celeborn’s words went unanswered as Orophin weaved through other elves, hearing hoof beats behind him. As they closed in, he only ran faster, through the trees now.

“Oro, darling, I do not mind much if you run, and neither do the horses,” came Valarda’s voice from behind him, “but you will not be much good to Haldir if you pass out from exhaustion in Fangorn.”

Orophin slowed until he was running astride with the horses, Valarda on Rumil’s, while the other bore no rider. The second horse was Haldir’s, not his, and he thanked the Valar that Valarda had seen fit to choose the two best horses from the stable instead of their own. There was no saddle, no stirrups, and no bridle, so Orophin spotted a tree with a tall branch ahead. He ran to it, jumped, and held until he was able to let go and land on the horse. Together, he and Valarda rode through Lothlorien and Fangorn to Rohan.