Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Haldir!” The sound of his name perked his ears, and the young warrior turned on his heal. Orophin was running down the hill, pulling an elleth behind him. At first, Haldir thought to shout to his brother that his method of courting probably would not be the most beneficial if the elleth he was leading suddenly tripped and fell on her skirts or ran into a tree. Before he could open his mouth, Haldir noted two very important details: First, this elleth was grinning, laughing even, with glee, and secondly, she was not wearing a skirt. Or a dress.

She was wearing pants.

Haldir closed his mouth.

“Haldir, I want you to meet someone.” Orophin stopped, letting go of the elleth’s hand. Instead of dropping it to his side, he threaded it around his companion’s waist. “This is Valarda, whom I met in Imladris years back, remember me telling you of her?”

“Indeed. Mae govannen.” Haldir bowed slightly, looking over the unusual elleth. Her hair was a rich red color, and was actually cut just below her shoulders, making it shorter than either of the brothers. Besides her clothing, he noted the knives she carried, one sheathed on either side of her leather belt. “I beg your pardon, but have I not met you before?”

“My adar is the Captain of the Galadhrim. You are training with them, are you not?” Haldir nodded affirmative to her question, before she continued. “I used to be stationed on the Northern Fences, but I took leave to visit Imladris. I will be returning to a post in the South in a few weeks time.”

“I see. It was a great pleasure to meet you.” Haldir abruptly turned to Orophin. “A word, please?” The elder brother turned again and began walking.

Orophin soon caught up, falling in stride with Haldir. “What is the matter? Did she grow a second head while I was not looking? Make rude gestures at you behind my back?”

Haldir halted, looking directly at Orophin. “She is the enemy.”

“Beg pardon?”

“The daughter of the Captain – Orophin, you never told me that was his daughter! You know I am hoping one day to gain that post – and here, his daughter is already one of the wardens.”

“Haldir, Haldir, Haldir, calm down.” Orophin placed his hands on Haldir’s shoulder’s. “I do not think that is her life goal.”

“What does it matter? It will be hers for the asking, hers for the taking.”

Orophin sighed. “You hardly know her.”

“I do not have to.”

“Well, you certainly do not know her like I do, and I know for certain she does not want the post.”

“How can you be so sure?” Haldir asked, then narrowed his eyes, and took his brother’s face between his hands, peering deep into blue eyes. “You did not bond with her yet, did you?”

“You are worse than father!” Orophin swatted his brother from him, glancing over his shoulder to see if Valarda was still waiting. “Haldir, I thought you could at least have been a little happy for me, if not enthusiastically so. I am not bonding with her today, nor tomorrow, nor for years, I should think. Even if we were to decide a minute from now to do so, the last thought in my mind would be getting your personal consent.”

“Please, I did not mean-“

Orophin held up a hand. “Honestly, it does not matter. I do not care what you think, one way or the other.”

“Oro, truly, I am happy for you-“ began Haldir again.

“You have a funny way of showing it, brother.” Orophin turned his back then, walking back to the befuddled Valarda.

- - -

“You look upset.”

“I can not find my pants.”

“Pray tell, what is it you are wearing, then?”

“Not my uniform, my pants. The ones I like.”

“I like all of my pants. They help keep my dignity, and lessen the scratches I get on my legs while climbing trees.”

“Damn it all, Oro, I have to attend a dinner with our parents. There is a delegation in from some place or another.” Haldir slammed the trunk at the foot of his bed shut, and sat down on it. He was halfway out of his uniform, wearing only the grey leggings of it. Across his bed were various items he had pulled from the trunk for the evening, but no pants were among them. “You did not borrow them, did you?”

“Hallideer, I am much too tall for your pants. And much too pretty to be dressed in the drab colors you so oft choose,” he teased, going to his own trunk. “I shall help you look, but are you sure you did not leave them in the wash pile?”

“I hardly wear anything but uniforms, as you know. It has seemed an age since I last wore anything else. The brown ones, the ones that lace up the sides,” he added when Orophin held up a navy blue pair, then narrowed his eyes. “Are those mine, also?”

Orophin sheepishly looked them over. “I suppose they are. So, perhaps I still do fit into a pair or two of yours,” he decided as Haldir snatched them from his brother's grasp.

Haldir threw the clothing onto his bed and began to search once again through his own belongings. A dreamy sigh came from the doorway, and both elves looked in the direction of the sound.

Rumil, complete with silly grin and starry eyes, nearly floated into the room, plopping down on his own bed with another sigh. Haldir shot a worried look to Orophin, then closed his trunk and went to his youngest brother’s bed, taking up a seat on the edge. “Are you all right, Rumil?”

“I am so much more than all right. I am fulfilled. I am complete.”

“You are bonded?” guessed Orophin from where he still sat on the floor, now engrossed in the many things he found in his trunk that he had thought to be lost.

“Mmmm…it t’was only to be a kiss at her door, but it ended up as so, so much more.” Rumil sat up on the bed, still wearing his smile. “Orophin, I do not know why you bide your time. It is a wonderful thing to be bonded.”

“You have come to that conclusion after only an hour or so? Wait until you have been living with her for a few years,” Haldir said darkly under his breath, but his words were lost in Orophin’s answer.

“Nay, Valarda will tell me when the time is right for such a lifelong event. I am rather surprised at you, for taking such a step so suddenly, but then Celebrian did not wait long once she fell in love. As for Valarda and I, neither of us are ready to be full grown elves yet, I think.” Orophin pulled a puppet out of the chest, grinning mischievously as he danced it across his leg.

“One does not need to bond to grow up,” Haldir remarked, louder than his previous comment.

“You should know. You have been grown up since you were eighty or so, would you reckon, Rumil.”

“Long as I have know him he has been,” Rumil said as Haldir let out an exasperated sound. “And I do not wish to hear your laments this evening on my finding happiness. Yes, this likely means I shall move to my own talan in the near future, or more appropriately, into Nenniach’s. No, this does not mean you shall never see me again. I am still on your duty roster,” smiled Rumil.

“Why are you not still on fair elleth’s talan, dear brother?” pondered Orophin. “Or, did she toss you from it immediately following? I can not have guessed you would have been that bad-“ Orophin was justly rewarded with a pillow to the head.

“Ah, but I came to pick up something I had been saving. Fine wine, from Rivendell.” Rumil went to his trunk, and pulled from it a pair of bottles, both filled with a dark red liquid.

“Rivendell!” Haldir slapped his forehead down on his hand, closing his eyes. “Rumil, did you not remember where she is from? Her business here was temporary, no doubt she will want you to return there with her.”

“No doubt,” mused Rumil, though his tone was not one of concern.

“Rumil, you would not think to-“ Haldir stopped, looking carefully up at his brother. “My pants.”

“What?” Rumil looked down, then up again. “Oh, you were both on patrol, and I wanted to look especially nice this evening. I hope you do not mind, Haldir, they were a bit short, but my boots seemed to cover that.” Rumil turned his leg a bit, admiring himself.

Orophin dumped the contents of his chest back into it and dropped the lid down. “He needed them for a dinner up at the Great Mallorn.”

“Hold a moment, I can change,” offered Rumil, but Haldir held up a hand.

“I do not even wish to consider the things that were done this evening with my pants, Rumil. Take them, with my blessings, and go back to your fair elleth into the night before my imagination becomes active with thoughts I should not have.”

Rumil grinned once again, and headed back out of the room. Orophin grabbed the blue pants and walked over to Rumil’s bed, sitting down next to Haldir. “Good thing we found these then.” He frowned when he saw Haldir’s sad, lost look. “It will not be so bad, maybe he will just decide to bring her here to live with us.”

Haldir’s eyes narrowed. “Do not even think of suggesting that to him.”

“On second thought,” Orophin said, tossing the pants into Haldir’s lap, “it was getting a bit crowded in here.”

- - -

“Your home is…empty.”

“You are observant.”

“Are you moving?”

“Not that I am aware of.”

Legolas lowered his pack to the floor. In a room which once housed great amounts of miscellaneous stuff now sat two large, comfortable leather chairs, a table, and the sparsest of items adorning the walls. Haldir was lounging in one of the chairs, feet resting upon the table, reading from a scroll that had unfurled haphazardly across the floor. “I thought you had brothers living with you.”

“Still do.” Haldir began to roll up the scroll. “Now, I have a library and an office.”

“A library?” Legolas took up residence in the other chair. “I should like to see it.”

Haldir waved a hand around the room. “You are already there.”

Legolas frowned, taking in the bare walls. “If it is a library, then where are all the books?”

“In my office. The bookcases were built into it. Had been the old dining room, actually, and the cases were where the dishes and such sat. I have found that I have very little need for a dining room these days.” Haldir secured the scroll and slid it back into the case it belonged in.

“I see. So, really, this is more of a reading room then.”

Haldir thought about it for a moment. “Yes, I suppose you are correct. Library sounded more dignified, I think. Although, you are the first to catch that there were no books in it. But then, I have had very few here to see it.”

Legolas added his own feet up on the top of the table. “What would constitute as ‘few’?”

“I think the only others to come up here since Oro left were Nana and Ada.”

“Not even Erestor? Or Glorfindel?”

“Not even. In fact, I have not spoken to either for longer than I have last talked to you.” Haldir disappeared into the adjoining kitchen, returning with a bottle of wine and a pair of goblets.

“And when did Orophin leave?”

“Let me think…” Haldir closed his eyes for a moment. “About twenty years ago.” After a pause, he added, “Twenty-three years, fourteen days, and six, maybe seven, hours.”

“Twenty-three years, and you have not had anyone else in here?”

Haldir shook his head and poured the wine, handing a glass to Legolas. “Wait, there were the upholsterers, they came in to fix the chairs...”

For some time they sat in silence, occupied by thought, until finally Legolas said, “I must say, it is tidy.”

“Aye.”

“And, it is very calm and quiet as well.”

Another bout of silence passed, before Haldir added, “It is dreadful.”

“Aye.”

“I would not be offended if you were to stay at the Great Mallorn, or perhaps with one of my brothers. They live quite close, in fact. I can lead you to their trees.”

“Nay, Haldir, we have not spoken for, what now, forty, fifty years, perhaps more? So much for us to catch up on, and I have little time before I continue to Imladris. So little news has reached me from Lothlorien. There is a rumor, however, that the shortest elf in all the woods is now the Captain of the Galadhrim. I hear it is going to be tough for all of them to look up to you,” he joked.

“Which one of them put you up to that?” asked Haldir, rolling his eyes, but smirking all the same.

“Orophin. He stopped me before I entered the realm. I wish he might have told me that he was no longer living here; I would have given him the present I brought for him when I first saw him. But really, congratulations are in order, it is a difficult post to come by. Just think, one day, you might be Lord Haldir, ruling a realm of his own.”

“I do not think that so, Legolas. And I quite prefer Captain to all other titles.”

“And why might that be?”

“It is the highest honor I have earned on my own merit.”

- - -

‘And a fine mess that merit has gotten me into.’ Haldir had gone through quite the range of emotions thus far – sadness, at how his brothers would react; grief, at how his parents would react; rage, that he was felled by such a foul creature; peace, that he had lived a full and happy life; boredom, that if this was what Mandos had to offer, he was going to make bloody well sure that he kept the Valar as miserable as he bloody well could during his stay here. ‘Bet that was how Glorfindel managed to get out. Annoyed them for so long, they could not stand him one second more.’

‘My mind is being haunted by depressing thoughts. My brothers taking their leave, the last time Legolas came to the woods before times became dark and less merry, and the fact I have been unsuccessful in finding the other half of my soul. But now I shall force myself to think of only the best of things, until I find a better way to disturb those who imprison me here.’


- - -

“Haldir, a word, please.” It was just after breakfast, and though Haldir did not usually come to the Great Mallorn for the morning meal, he was persuaded by Orophin to come to their parents’ table. He had tried his best to assert his independence since the recent move to their own tree, but every now and again, the pull to come back to what truly was home got the better of him. He began to walk back into the dining room, but Celeborn shook his head. “The open hall, if you please.”

Haldir walked behind his father, bewildered at the request, wondering if perhaps he had done something wrong, something offensive. The tone of Celeborn’s voice was so formal, and he spoke rather quiet and stiff. Haldir entered the hall, watching as Celeborn walked up to the platform and took his place next to Galadriel. Silently, his brothers, who had been waiting for him on the stairs, climbed back up to watch whatever was to unfold.

“Haldir o’ Lorien,” began Celeborn in a loud voice, no doubt addressing not only his son, but others who had gathered on the flet. “You have shown courage in battle, leadership in times of need, and loyalty to the woods and those who live in them.”

Haldir waited uncomfortably through the pause, unsure of whether to speak or not. Finally, he answered, “I think I have,” glancing behind his shoulder at his brothers, who both shrugged.

“The watchers of the woods, March Wardens of the forest, have never been chosen lightly.” Galadriel motioned for one of the palace guards to approach, and he handed to her a sword in scabbard. Not unlike the swords of the Galadhrim it was, but it was easily seen to be newly made even in its sheath. “Fewer still are the places of honor within those ranks. I bestow one such rank upon thee.” Stepping down, Galadriel held the sword out to Haldir, hands cradling either end of the blade.

Bowing his head, he accepted the sword, speechless. Grasping the scabbard, he pulled the sword from it. The metal gleamed in the morning light, and upon one side, he read the inscription to himself – Protector of the Forest, Watcher of the Woods, Keeper of the Trees. He turned the weapon in his hands, finding the reverse to be different – Haldir o Lorien ~ Captain of the Galadhrim. He looked up to his parents, a wide smile spreading across his face. “Diola lle.”

“There is but one task left for you before you begin your appointment.” Celeborn stepped down to join his wife. “You will need to choose two of your wardens as your lieutenants. There is a large contingency of elves traveling to the West, and I am afraid your next task will be to recruit.”

“I take pride, and joy, in all tasks I must undertake as your Captain.”

“I never doubted that.” Celeborn smiled, relaxing a little. “Please inform me of your choices when you have made them.”

“Actually, I know of one right away. Rumil,” Haldir called over his shoulder, and the youngest brother stepped forward eagerly. “The other, I think I shall have to give it some thought.” Behind him, Orophin loudly cleared his throat, unable to see the grins on Rumil’s and Haldir’s faces. “Ah. I suppose I might take the other one, as well, then.”

“Rumil and ‘the other one’. Excellent. I shall be sure it is documented.” Celeborn answered back, quite seriously. Haldir wiped the grin from his face, saluted, and left the platform. As he made his way down the stairs, there was a definite hop in his step, and he began to take them two at a time. By the time he’d hit the landing and skipped across, the grin had returned.

“By the Valar – did he just – skip?” Haldir stopped dead in his tracks, and turned to find that Orophin and Rumil had been practically upon his heels.

His face flushed, and he glanced around to see if anyone else was around. Thank Elbereth, they were the only ones there. “No, I did not.”

“Yes, most certainly, you did!” accused Rumil again.

“If you’re going to be skipping, I want no part of this,” Orophin said, crossing his arms.

“It was not a skip!” Haldir protested. “It was…it was more of a trip forward, with a jump or something.”

“Let us see then.” Rumil came down to the landing. “A trip forward, and a hop.” Rumil demonstrated, then shook his head. “Still looks like a skip, I am afraid.”

“It may look like a skip, but it is most definitely * not * a skip. This,” Haldir showed them, “is a skip. This, is a hop with a trip forward.”

“Haldir, you just did it again – twice!” Orophin was hard pressed to keep his solemn face.

“There is a difference!” he argued, then looked at Rumil, who was shaking his head sadly. “What?”

“I am sorry, brother, but I just do not see it.”

“Me either.” Orophin leaned against the rail. “I am beginning to think you are not really our brother if you are going around skipping like those silly elves in Imladris.”

Before Haldir could come up with a suitable comeback, a sound above caught their attention. Celeborn stood on the balcony, looking down upon the trio. “Captain Haldir!”

“Yes, Lord Celeborn?”

“Stop skipping and go guard my forest!”

“Yes, Lord Celeborn.” Captain Haldir continued his descent from the stairs, his brothers trailing behind. All the way down, he caught glimpses of them skipping across the landings as they went.