Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +

Orophin rested Haldir’s mount, letting Valarda speak with the riders they had met up with. They, too, headed to a battle in Rohan. But the battle did not appear to be the same one they sought.

"What did they say?” Orophin asked as Valarda marched Rumil’s horse back to him.

"They head for a fort, Helm’s Deep. They have only just received word from Mithrandir of the battle and they are preparing to leave shortly. As far as is known, no elves, only men, are defending the walls.” Valarda rested her hands on her thighs, taking a look around. "They are not aware of a battle to which elves have been summoned. Are we sure that Haldir told the truth in saying he was leading them to Rohan? Or was it another part of the deception to those of us he would leave behind? Could they have marched on to Gondor?”

Orophin hung his head. "I do not know. The longer we journey, the more I wonder if it is folly to hope to find him.”

"Do not lose hope, young Orophin. Your father would not wish to hear such words uttered by you. You, of all his children, who believes strongest that there still is hope for this world.”

Orophin looked up at Mithrandir, who was next to him astride Shadowfax. He snorted and answered, "My father bade me stay in the forest, not to come searching, not to come fighting.”

"And by such actions, you prove you are most certainly not your father.” Mithrandir scanned the troops, taking one last look over them before leading the charge. "Helm’s Deep is not far. We ride there now to aid those who are most in need. I know not if elves fight alongside men there now, but elves marching from Lothlorien, even the swiftest of runners, could not have made it by now to Gondor. Ride with us to the Deep. If your brother is there, may he be safe from harm. If he is not, you will still have time to ride for Gondor to seek him out.” Mithrandir did not wait for a response as he edged Shadowfax forward, rousing the riders into a thunderous charge to Helm’s Deep.

"What do you think, Valarda?” Orophin turned to get a response from his wife, but found she had already rode forward with the other riders. "That is my elleth,” grinned Orophin, joining the others in their charge.