Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
AKA 'Contractual Obligations'
A knock sounded on the door of the office, and Zhie looked up from her work. "Yes, can I help you?"

"I certainly hope so." The elf steps in and sits down on the chair on the other side of the desk. "I've been filling out resumes and I had a few questions I had to ask you about some things."

"Resumes?" Zhie offered the elf some candy from the bowl on the desk, and he smiled and fished out a Milky Way. "You're leaving, then?"

"Well, not really, per se. I just thought I'd get something part time as well – I can't blame you that you write about book canon elves more than movie canon elves-"

"Not entirely true," she interjected. "Both Melpomaen and Dinendal have quite significant parts."

"Yes... but you killed me off this past spring, and-"

Again, he was interrupted. "No, I didn't."

"Yes, you..." He paused. "Well, it was orcs, really, but-"

"No, they didn't."

"I..." Scratching his head, he gave her a confused look. "I guess, I thought... I was fairly sure..."

"Let's take a look at your contract," she suggested, pulling open the file drawer of the desk. The elf nodded and unwrapped his candy as he watched her sort through folders of various thicknesses until she pulled a fading brown one out of the drawer. "Alright, I've got the files here on your family... now, your sons, they were definitely killed at Helm's Deep, but I'm fairly sure your part was left open ended."

Glancing across the desk hopefully, the elf waited as Zhie flipped through the few items in the folder. "Yes, there's a very large loophole here. According to this, you found your sons, you found Haldir and thought him to be dead, you came across a man of Rohan who appealed to you, and then you jumped into danger to save his son."

"And had fifty uruks against me in a pit."

"You had your back to the wall. Improbable, but not impossible for you to overcome." Zhie closed the folder and leaned across the desk. "Look, if you want a little more time in all this, all you have to do is hang around the house a little more. It's a holiday weekend, and all of the regulars will be there. We've even invited Thaladir – don't worry, I told Orophin he needs to wear pants," she said as the elf began to speak. "Heck, bring the wife and the kids- just because they're supposed to be in Mandos doesn't mean anything. Look how often Feanor stops over."

"Perhaps I will," he said, smiling as he stood. "I shall see you this weekend, then," he added on his way out.

"Oh, and Thandronen, we can talk about the contractual addendum regarding your nude scenes next week," called out Zhie just as he had reached the door.

"Nude scenes?!" he asked in a squeaky voice, looking over his shoulder.

Glancing back down at the papers, Zhie shakes her head. "Sorry, no, that's for Cirdan. Nevermind. Have a great day," she shouted as the confused elf walked briskly down the hall.