Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“I think maybe we should drop the course.”

“El, we worked so hard. There are only six weeks left.” Elladan looked nervously at the door when a creak was heard, and let out his breath when no one entered. “I think we should stick it out.”

“With Master Rumil, the psycho dictator substitute from Mandos? My mother was right; I should have taken Advanced Embroidery instead!” Calisil had chosen to relocate herself to a seat in the back corner of the room, where she had her arms hugged around her stomach and looked positively ill.

There were many nods of agreement, including one from the ellyn who had been scolded the day before. Again, a noise was heard at the door, and all of the students held their breath.

“Good morning, everyone!” Haldir’s voice was cheerful, yet a little tired. “Forgive me, but I rode all night to get back here in time for class this morning and have had little sleep. I hope you will not mind if we cut the lesson short today.”

Elrohir rubbed his eyes. “El, pinch me, I think I see Uncle Haldir.”

“I see him, too, but... alright!” Elladan gave his brother a painful little pinch on his wrist, making him yelp.

“Now, now, none of that, boys,” said Haldir as he passed between them on his way to the front. He picked up the book Rumil had left the day before, frowned when he read the title, and tossed it into the trash bin. “Who here is ready to learn about... circumferences?”

Twenty-eight hands shot up into the air. “As long as you are teaching it, Master Haldir, I think we care very little what we are learning about!” said Elladan, and from the smiles, it was obvious he was speaking for the entire class.

Haldir walked to the board and picked up a piece of chalk, using it to draw a circle. He turned to face the class again and frowned a little. “Hmm... something seems a little out of place.” He glanced at the empty seat in the front row, and then scanned the room. “Where is my star pupil?”

With a bright smile, Calisil gathered her things and practically ran back to the spot where she usually sat. Haldir nodded to her with a warm smile, and then went back to the board. “Before we begin, I just wanted to say that I am very happy to be back.”

“And we are very, very happy to have you back,” said Elladan.

“You have no idea how happy,” added Elrohir.

Looking at the class, Haldir only tilted his head to the side and shrugged. When he was facing the board once more, he let a smile play upon his lips.