Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
These were the times that truly tried Glorfindel. Parties and celebrations - he was always on edge. There was something about having a vivid memory of leaning over a balcony, awaiting the coming of the morning and a yearly festival, and ending the night by being dragged from a cliff to your fiery doom that just didn't make a gathering like this quite as fun as it used to be.

Bravely, he gathered his courage and took a deep breath, and finally let his feet carry him to the doorway to the Hall of Fire. There was a jittery feeling in his stomach. More so than other holidays, he hated this second only to the Gates of Summer. These were the days of the coming snows, a celebration that led off with a masked ball and a feast. The room would have no chairs - you were expected to dance, to mingle, and to partake of the wine and food. Only today were tables found in the room, very high tables laden with rich pastries, small samplings of the finest dishes, and of course, wine from this realm and others. Goblets passed from hand to hand with none drinking a full cup. Laughter came from every corner, and minstrels wandered the room to keep the crowd cheerful and merry.

As he stepped into the small antechamber that had been constructed using dark curtains, his cape was taken from him and a half mask to cover over his eyes and nose was handed to him. No one was ever given a choice; it was said that the surprise was in finding out who was behind each mask. This was made especially difficult for the fact that names were never uttered, and words left unspoken. Glorfindel stepped through the curtain after he was aided by the unseen helper in tying the mask on. A mirror greeted him on either side, and he tilted his head.

So he might bark his greetings, or more accurately howl them, he decided. Mostly, though, he was keep out of the way. The mask he would take with him that night, and leave on his desk in the morning- proof to Elrond that he indeed had attended, for his Lord was insistent that all of his chief staff be at the celebration. He would not stay long, Glorfindel told himself, only long enough to have enough witnesses to vouch for the lone wolf who prowled through the masses.

A little bird rushed up and chirped at him. Behind the holes of the eyes, grey eyes peeked out and lashes batted. He could not help but smile and let out a knowing 'arroooooroooo', quietly, but clearly. With a grin, the elleth masked as a blue jaybird took hold of his hand and led him to the rest of the royal family. He could not tell in the low light whether it was Elladan or Elrohir who was the lamb, but the other snorted at him with his boarish mask a bit on the lop side. A smirk played on the lips of the tiger, and she winked at the wolfish captain and greeted him with a catty growl. He returned it with a howl, and then amusedly watched as the lord himself gave a rather good impersonation of an oliphant's call. When a small group behind them jumped and turned around in surprise, their small party laughed, drawing those they had scared into the fun.

It really wasn't so bad, Glorfindel reflected as he moved on to greet some of the guards, which he knew only by the garb that they wore. In fact, he was rather enjoying himself by the time he'd made the rounds of the room. Here and there, he had missed chances to howl at some of his fellow elves, but feeling he had completed his mission sucessfully, he turned to leave.

As he neared the door, a group of roguish dogs passed him by. He would not have noticed, but one of them shoved into him as he passed. Frowning, he turned, but though he opened his mouth he said nothing. A penalty was imposed upon those who spoke- the later in the celebration, the drunker the participants, the more lewd their suggestions for a punishment for any who spoke with words. He followed with his eyes where they were heading, and saw their sights set on an ellon standing at a table, engaged in 'conversation' with a pair of young ladies. Uneasily, Glorfindel followed back around.

The pack of dogs encircled the trio, and then split the ladies from the ellon, his face whether and expression of surprise, fear, or anger hidden behind fur and whiskers. At first there was a finger pointed at him, but none dared to speak due to the penalty. Standing up at his full height, the elf who had been singled out hissed at the largest of the group, the one who had confronted him. Glorfindel swiftly pushed past idling members of the party to get to the commotion, for after hissing, the elf was shoved back, and he hit the table, upending a punchbowl and causing quite a scene. Fierce barks of encouragement had broken out as the ringleader drew back his arm to punch the cat.

With a growl, Glorfindel tackled the assaulter, knocking him to the ground. The fight was over before it had barely begun, with the dogs tucking tail and running off. Spying the cat cowering back against the wall, Glorfindel held his hand out. "Are you alright?" He bit his lip, he might have hoped it was not heard, but there was no doubt.

Whether to lessen the situation for his hero, or because he had simply forgotten in the madness, the cat-masked elf replied. "Thank you, I- I'm fine."

"A penalty!" shouted one of the dogs who had not run far off, for this was one of the few phrases which were allowed. "A penalty! A penalty! We must have a penalty!" Chanting began to grow throughout the room, and even in the dim light, Glorfindel could see the other elf blushing and shake a little. Offering his hand again, he was able to pull the elf close to him as Elrond the Oliphant approached.

His look was apologetic- he would stop this now if Glorfindel wished, spoke his eyes. He gave a look as well to the cat, but there was a shake of the cat's head as he cast his eyes down. It would be worse not to go along with things, and Glorfindel said nothing, so Elrond said to the crowd, "What price would you make them pay, for speaking on this sacred night?"

"Unmask them!" came a call from the back, which was met by boos and hisses while another shouted, "Make them kiss!" This was given a more positive response.

Setting his jaw with a sigh, Elrond awaited any other suggestions. "What if we had them-" but his attempt to ease the situation was greeted by a chaotic chanting of "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" and Elrond finally raised his arms up for silence.

"You have been sentenced by your peers this night to kiss each other." Very quietly, Elrond added, "I'm sorry," so that no one else could hear. "Let the sentence be carried out!" he shouted to the crowd.

"And make it a good one!" came a yell, and though a penalty should have been imposed upon this one, no one found who the voice belonged to.

Wanting to end their humiliation quickly, Glorfindel bent down, then realized that while masked they could not get close enough to kiss. Reaching behind his head, he began to untie his mask, but the cat shook his head. "I got you into this," said the slighter elf. "Leave your identity secret. I owe you that much." The onlookers stood on the tips of their toes for better looks as the strips of fabric were undone, and the mask was gently lifted away. Timidly, the unmasked elf stepped closer to Glorfindel, who was stunned but remained standing, and tilted his head up just enough to kiss the captain.

After the initial hoots and cheers, everyone returned to their celebrating, forgetting the pair who stood at the side of the room. Even the maids who had come to remove the overturned punchbowl and clean the floor paid no mind to them. Glorfindel opened his mouth to speak, but was silenced as a hand warningly covered his lips. No talking, how could he forget so quickly?

There was no way to ask what he wished to, no way to find out if the other elf had felt more than the touch of their skin when they had just kissed. No words he could say to invite him away or to... anything. Helplessly, Glorfindel motioned towards the door, trying to pantomime them going out in the garden to walk and talk and perhaps instead to go somewhere in the house, or leave the room at least. His sporadic gestures were slowly bringing a smile to the lips of the elf before him, until he finally set the mask down on the now empty table and took hold of Glorfindel's flailing hands in his smaller ones. Glorfindel shivered delightedly as the space between them disappeared. Leaning his cheek upon Glorfindel's chest, Erestor purred.