Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Glorfindel let go the hilt of his sword, running faster to get to the main courtyard. A number of nearby elves had come to see the commotion, but the many soldiers were creating a barrier between the stable hands, pages, and washerellith, and the ruckus at the center.

There were no screams now, only sobs, as Lindir, held back by one of the soldiers, watched his precious harp be smashed against the ground by the lieutenant. A third soldier stood nearby, begging the lieutenant to cease, but when he approached he was shoved back.

“Attention!” bellowed Glorfindel, and the majority of the soldiers stood straight, including the two near the lieutenant. Lindir crumpled to the ground, his sobs renewed as he crawled toward the ruins of his beloved instrument. The lieutenant stomped his boot into the heap of wood and strings, causing Lindir to cry out in agony. “I said, attention!” The rest of the soldiers standing about reluctantly raised their heads, blank expressions replacing the ones that had been on their faces.

Still, the lieutenant defiantly looked at Glorfindel as he advanced. “You are out of order!” shouted the Captain, firmly planting his feet and resting his hands upon his hips. Behind him, Elrond and Legolas stepped up to flank him, and the lieutenant snorted. “How dare you attack a helpless, unarmed citizen!”

“I know what he is,” sneered the lieutenant, looking down at the weeping elf at his feet. “It took me some time, but I finally figured it out.” He was looking past Glorfindel now, and the blond turned his head in the direction of the house. Celebrian was leading Erestor into the courtyard. “Your little informant. I knew you weren’t involved with... that,” he spat as Erestor came to a stop alongside Elrond, creating with the five of them a united barrier that closed the circle of elves. Glorfindel bared his teeth and took a step forward, but Legolas took a firm grip on his elbow, for which Glorfindel would later thank him. “I knew someone had to have told you what transpired. When I saw him today sitting here, playing, I knew who it was. He’s the only one who will talk to both of you. He’s the only one that THING has a use for.”

“Brother, please,” hissed the soldier who had made the attempt to stop him, but the lieutenant gave him a glare that silenced him immediately. This interruption afforded Glorfindel the opportunity to step forward.

“Lieutenant, you have already crossed a line. Now, you are wearing my patience thin. I do not wish to have you restrained, but if I have to, I will,” threatened Glorfindel.

“For what? Because of a lie?,” snapped the soldier. “You have no love for that THING.”

“Enough.” Elrond stepped between the two warriors, knowing how close Glorfindel was to losing control. “You are a shameful example of a soldier, lieutenant. You two,” he shouted, motioning to a pair of soldiers nearby, “take him to his room and guard the door. You,” he said, motioning to another, “take that one,” he said, pointing to the one who had restrained Lindir, “and do the same.”

The lieutenant crossed his arms over his chest and stared defiantly past Elrond. His feet did not budge as one of the guards took hold of his arm and pulled. Elrond stepped closer. “Do not defy me, child. You are ruining what little you may have had left of a military career.”

Lindir, who had been on the ground trying to gather the broken bits and pieces, glanced up. He spied the look in the lieutenant’s eyes, and the soldier, knowing he was being watched, looked down. The corner of his mouth turned up in an evil smirk.

Before anyone really knew what was happening, Glorfindel was prying Lindir from the lieutenant, who howled and held his calf as he rolled on the ground. “He bit me!” screamed the lieutenant in disbelief.

“Imagine that,” said Erestor, leaning on his walking stick.

“Don’t speak to me,” sneered the lieutenant as he was hoisted to his feet by the other guards.

Handing his walking stick abruptly to Celebrian, Erestor took four long strides forward, closing the gap. Grabbing hold of the other elf’s shirt, Erestor yanked his face forward. With the other hand, he tugged on the strings of his mask, tossing it aside. “I used to think I had to cover myself to appease the likes of you,” he growled. “No more. In fact, I wouldn’t even give you the time of day, so worry not that I might talk to you. You... just aren’t worth my time.” Letting go, Erestor staggered back a step and Celebrian stepped forward and took hold of his arm to steady him at one side, while Elrond minded the other lest Erestor fall.

With a dismissive motion from Elrond, the guards carried out their orders. As some of the other soldiers began to follow, Glorfindel barked orders to them that they should go to the practice fields as he had instructed them earlier. The young soldier who had tried to talk some sense into the lieutenant began to plead with Glorfindel, but the captain turned his back upon him. Shoulders slumped, the young ellon followed his comrades to the field.

Glorfindel found himself the receiver of a scrutinizing look from Elrond. “My office,” he said simply as the grounds finally cleared of all but himself, his wife and Legolas, Glorfindel and Erestor. “I want all of you there in ten minutes. I expect the two of you,” he said, directing his comment to the pair before him, “to be prepared to tell me everything.”

- - -

“If we were in Mirkwood, they would be in jail awaiting sentencing for their crimes. Lothlorien imposes penalties of civil service upon those who attack fellow citizens. In Mithlond they would have been publicly flogged!” Everything, meaning absolutely everything, had been explained to Elrond. He had been disappointed to hear that the pair had been ‘pretending to be lovers’, but only until it was explained that there was no longer any need for them to pretend. His fury had been consistent when hearing of the abuses the various soldiers had committed.

“Do not be too harsh on them, Elrond,” said Celebrian. “They are young and life for them has been hard. I hear things you and Glorfindel do not. So many of your soldiers lost their families to the war. There are many troubled youths in need of guidance within the guard.”

“I know that, dear. But do not forget that I, too, lost my parents at a young age. I have sympathy for many of them, and that is why I hesitate. That lieutenant, though...” Elrond shook his head. “Glorfindel, your suggestion?”

“Perhaps we should consider making an example of them. But I don’t think using physical punishment is appropriate. It teaches nothing and will only bring forth hatred,” Glorfindel said.

Erestor raised one finger in the air to gain attention. “What if we sent them away for a while?”

“Banishment?” questioned Elrond. “I do not like that idea.”

“No other elvendom would be so lax, as you have pointed out,” Erestor reminded him. “They will not know how good they have it until it is taken from them,” he advised. “Trust me on that.”

“I would offer to have those who are responsible moved to the guard in Mirkwood,” spoke Legolas.

“That may not be a wise decision.” Again Erestor gained the attention of the small council being held. “There is a reason why the lieutenant directs his anger in my direction. In the war, when I turned from my duty to King Oropher, there was only one soldier who followed me into battle. He did so blindly, speaking only of his loyalty to his general. I lived, he died. His sons blame me, and perhaps rightfully so. If he had stayed with the army then perhaps he might have stood better odds.”

“Erestor, it was war. No one on our side can be blamed for the death of a fellow soldier.” Legolas nodded. “I know now who they are. Their mother died in grief, and they came here to live with relatives.”

Glorfindel spoke next. “They were all exemplary soldiers when I first recruited them.”

“Then it is not they who must leave, but I who should go.” Erestor addressed Legolas. “When are you preparing to make your way back to Greenwood?”

For a moment, Legolas was taken aback, but soon recovered. “I, well, I thought you would remain here for further treatments. I suppose I shall leave mid-autumn to avoid any early snows.”

“There is no cure for my blindness.” Dwelling on his own comment, Erestor said, “There are many here who would rather I would not be here. I do not wish to be a menace any longer.”

Sliding his hand across the table to take hold of Erestor’s, Glorfindel said, “You are no menace. As for a cure, how can you know there is none if you do not keep trying?”

“I have been here some eighty years, and nothing has changed. I would stay if you ask it of me, Glorfindel, but otherwise I have no reason to linger.” But Erestor’s voice betrayed him, and indeed all those at the table knew there was reason, even if Erestor did not say so.

“Then I will come with you,” said Glorfindel. “I can not be happy knowing you are so unhappy to stay here within this house.” Erestor bowed his head slightly but said nothing.

Elrond rubbed his eyes. Things were not exactly progressing as he had expected. “I thank you both for your counsel on this matter. Perhaps we might further speak tomorrow.” After Glorfindel and Erestor had been dismissed and the door closed, Elrond sighed and looked back and forth between his wife and his consort. “Legolas, why is he so gloomy? Was he like that when he lived in your woods?”

“Nay. He used to be angst that could walk and talk. He’s much improved, actually,” mused Legolas.

- - -

Glorfindel led Erestor to a balcony overlooking the practice fields so that they could remain alone, but so that the captain could check on the progress of the soldiers. “It amazes me that you were able to hear Lindir from inside the hall. It is always said that Legolas has the keenest eyes and ears of any living elf.”

“It’s barely of help when the one who can hear so well cannot see a thing.” Erestor settled himself against the brick of the house, keeping from the high railing that enclosed the porch. “It wasn’t until I lost my sight. I think it must be a defense of some sort, to be able to hear danger well before seeing it.”

“Must have come in handy quite a bit,” said Glorfindel.

“Just this time, I think,” Erestor said sadly. “When I first came here, we had nearly made it to Imladris when I heard some commotion off in the distance. Orcs, and I could tell exactly how many. They were assaulting a small party, but all I could hear was the screaming of a young boy. Legolas later told me that they managed to defeat the orcs, but nothing was ever said of the party they were attacking. So, I fear my warnings came too late.”

Slowly, Glorfindel turned around. “That was some eighty years ago that you came to the valley, then.” Erestor nodded to him. Leaning against the railing with his hands steadying himself at either side, Glorfindel said, “It was just about eighty-three years ago this coming spring that I was approached by a young soldier on horseback and told that help was needed outside of the valley. I raced my horse into the forest, led only by the direction in which the scout was pointing. Until now, I did not realize- he wasn’t one of our soldiers.”

“Who was he?” asked Erestor.

“Someone from Greenwood’s guard.” Glorfindel smiled broadly. “Erestor, you didn’t fail the first time. I found them- Legolas asked me just the other day if I knew what had happened, but I didn’t add it all together because I had no idea when it was that you had arrived.”

“You found the boy and saved him, then?” Erestor’s spirit seemed uplifted by this belated news.

Looping his arm around Erestor’s, Glorfindel took hold of the walking stick and held it while he showed Erestor back into the house from the balcony. “The boy, his sister, and his parents.”

“Are they still here in the valley?”

“Oh, Erestor, you have no idea,” Glorfindel said, happily leading him back through the house.

- - -

“If Erestor leaves,” contemplated Elrond, “then the lieutenant will think he simply won, and that isn’t much of a punishment. In fact, it’s incentive to continue being a brat.”

Legolas, who had been dozing off beside Elrond, said sleepily, “I do not think Erestor truly wishes to return to Mirkwood.”

“Glorfindel would hate it there,” spoke Celebrian. She was snuggled against her husband, for the trio had moved the conversation from the study to the bedroom, where they could give things more in-depth thought in a more comfortable atmosphere. “I like Erestor’s idea of sending away the ones that are a problem. Sending them back to Mirkwood doesn’t seem like a punishment either, though. However, I could speak with my parents. You know how tough the border guards have it in Lothlorien, especially in the winters.”

“Erestor certainly has a lot of good ideas, doesn’t he?” Elrond’s question was more to himself than either of his bedmates, though Legolas nodded and pulled on the blanket, drawing it up to his chin. “I would also hate for Glorfindel to leave, but I think if Erestor does there is no question that he would follow. For some time I have been contemplating giving Glorfindel complete control of the military. I have less and less time to oversee things, and most other realms have an army general to oversee the captains.”

“Glorfindel is more than capable of the task,” agreed Celebrian. “But if Erestor has no reason to stay, there is no reason to force him to. He would feel compelled to stay with Glorfindel if he is promoted.”

“Maybe not,” said Elrond. “Erestor says he has no other reason to stay. What we need to do is give him a reason to remain here.”

“What are you thinking of?” Celebrian asked, tugging on the blankets to gain more on her side.

Reaching down to draw up the large quilt before a blanket war started, Elrond said, “As much as I appreciate all of the advice I am given by the two of you, there are times when neither of you are available. It would benefit me to have an advisor by my side during meetings and negotiations, and other such things.”

Celebrian smiled. “Erestor would be perfect.” Snuggling closer, she asked, “Would you like me to speak with my mother about the guards we are having trouble with?”

“In the morning, perhaps you could contact her,” Elrond said hastily. He tended to worry that Galadriel might pick up on straying thoughts if he or his wife contacted her... well, at inappropriate times.

“I shall do it after breakfast.” Before slipping into reverie, she asked, “Which guards should I ask to have transferred, my love?”