Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Lieutenant Haldir, you are hereby sentenced to twenty years probation from your military duties, to be served in the city of Caras Galadhon.” Elrond looked up from the scroll he was reading and added, “I have noted that you have requested a transfer to their guard.”

“With all due respect,” replied Haldir, his ankle bandaged where Lindir had bit him, “I wouldn’t come back for all the mithril in Arda.”

“So noted. I wish I could say that I shall miss your sarcasm, but what I do miss is the respect you once gave and the trust you once had.” Moving on to the elf beside him, Elrond proclaimed, “Rumil, you have been tried and convicted of aiding in the disruptions of peace and the assault of citizens of the realm. Warden Rumil, you are hereby sentenced to ten years probation from your military duties to be served in the city of Caras Galadhon.” Elrond waited for Rumil to look up at him. “Rumil, you have also requested a transfer.”

“Where my brother goes I shall follow.”

Elrond nodded curtly. There was a third elf standing nearby and he now stepped beside the pair who stood before the tall chair that Elrond sat in as he presided. To Elrond’s right sat Celebrian as always, and now to his left was Erestor with a young page beside him in the case he needed to ask about what was happening. “Orophin, the time to speak was at the trial,” said Elrond.

“M’lord, I have placed a request for transfer as well,” Orophin explained.

“Yes, I know,” Elrond finally said. “It is unnecessary,” he told the guard, who had been the only one making any attempt to stop Haldir’s rage in the courtyard, “but I will grant it if you so wish.”

“I do,” he said. “I have enjoyed my time serving here, but as my brother has said- where they go, I shall follow.”

Giving another nod, Elrond said, “Let it be noted that Orophin has requested transfer from the Imladrim guard to the Galadhrim. Orophin, my best wishes to you.”

Orophin smiled sadly and saluted when he did not hear any wishes, good or bad, given to his brothers. The trio bowed, and they all left the counsel chambers. At the door, they passed Glorfindel, standing at the center of the archway. Haldir and Rumil both passed him by without notice, but Orophin halted and saluted the captain, not knowing that hours before his old mentor had been confirmed before the ministers and high officers as the General of the Imladrim. “I am sorry that I disappointed you, sir,” said Orophin.

“It was not you, Orophin,” replied Glorfindel, but Orophin hung his head in shame. “It was not you who caused any of the trouble here.”

“But they are my brothers. As the eldest, I should have watched them more carefully. I should have done something before it came to this,” he added.

Having no answer for Orophin, Glorfindel patted him on the shoulder and nodded. “Good luck to you, soldier.”

“Thank you, sir.” Orophin gave a curt nod and then continued on his way out. With a sigh, Glorfindel looked down the hallway to where Elrond sat with his counsel, chin resting upon his hand.

“There are things I wish I did not have to do,” he simply said, and then stood. “An adjournment, and then, supper perhaps?” Celebrian stood as well and smiled in agreement. “Glorfindel, Erestor? Would you have care to join us this evening?”

Erestor whispered a few words to the young elf assigned to take notes and such for him – a lad by the name of Melpomaen whom everyone had taken to calling ‘Figgy’ – and then dismissed his aide. “I believe I have a prior engagement,” he answered as he was handed his walking stick before Figgy left. “Glorfindel, do we not have plans this evening to dine with Lindreth and his family?”

“Aye, we do,” confirmed Glorfindel. He met Elrond and his counsel halfway, and without having to guide Erestor, the dark elf looped his arm through Glorfindel’s. “Might we meet you for breakfast come the morning?”

“That would be splendid,” spoke Celebrian as they group moved into the hallway. “Perhaps, a late breakfast,” she added mischievously.

“Oh, I wouldn’t dare suggest otherwise, m’lady,” said Glorfindel.

- - -

“Erestor, you’ve taken your mask off!” exclaimed Veduiel.

Gripping the doorway and allowing his fingers to find the way around and into the room, he confirmed this with a nod. “If I can not be accepted as I am, then I pity those who have such narrow minds.”

The ellon who had been standing beside Veduiel with the sleeves of his shirt hanging far longer than need be looked as if he had been hit by a cartload of bricks. This was Lindreth, Veduiel’s husband, and he faltered slightly. The elleth placed her hand upon his arm to steady him. She began to whisper something to him, but he shook his head.

“Erestor, it is a pleasure to have you as our guest.” Lindreth bowed at the waist, his arms still before him. “To have learned it was you we owe our lives to-“

“It was not I alone,” Erestor interrupted. “Had Glorfindel not acted so quickly upon hearing the news of the scout who was with my party...” Erestor trailed off as Lindir tried to sneak over and tap him on the shoulder. “Yes, young master minstrel?”

Without warning, Erestor was squished in a bear hug delivered by Lindir. “Why did you never tell me?” asked the young ellon when he finally released the dark elf.

“Because I never knew,” replied Erestor simply.

“Would you like to come and hear the harp in the sitting room?” Lindir asked suddenly, disregarding previous polite conversation. “It is too big for me to carry anywhere, so I must play it here. Thank the valar Lieutenant Haldir did not get hold of that one,” he added.

“Hush, now, Lindir,” scolded his father. “You know it isn’t nice to speak of others behind their backs.” Lindir closed his eyes and nodded. “Now, if Erestor would like to hear you play, I would be happy to lead him to the sitting room while you tune your harp.”

“Your harp, Adar,” Lindir said abruptly.

Lindreth nodded. “Yes, well, it needs tuning, please.” Lindir smiled and hurried ahead to the room. Offering his arm, Lindreth said, “Well then, if you like.”

Erestor’s hand reached out blindly, touching the folds of Lindreth’s sleeve. His hand paused when he touched the other elf’s wrist. He did not pull away, as Lindreth seemed to think he might, but instead danced his fingers up the ellon’s arm until he found his elbow. “Lead on, my cousin,” he said, and the pair went to the sitting room, the lame leading the blind.

There were tears in Veduiel’s eyes. “He’s never done that. He hates for anyone to touch his- where his hands used to be,” she said so quietly to Glorfindel. He reached over and squeezed her shoulder gently. “Thank you for bringing Erestor here tonight,” she added. “I could never imagine that so few words would make Lindreth take such a huge step.”

“Everyone heals in their own time,” said Glorfindel. Veduiel wiped her eyes and sniffled. “Is there anything I can help you with, would you like to take a moment? I can... do whatever you need me to do to set things up in the dining room,” offered the blond.

“Liriel is managing things,” Veduiel said after a sniffle, “but go and see her, Glorfindel, she’s grown since last we had you here for dinner.

Glorfindel smiled and watched the healer retreat into an unlit room along the side of the small hallway within these chambers before he took himself through the kitchen. Lifting off the lids of the various kettles, he sniffed the wonderful smells from within. Lindreth and Veduiel had many a time invited Glorfindel to their home for meals, and he was always happy to see their children. He had resigned himself to the fact that this was quite likely the closest he would get to children of his own, and played the part of doting adopted uncle to perfection. Lindreth and Veduiel had, ever since the day they had come to the valley, treated Glorfindel as a part of their family, even making him guardian to their youngest daughter when she was born.

Their young daughter Liriel was at the moment hopping around the table, placing a fork, two spoons, and a knife at each place before hopping to the next spot. Fork, two spoons, a knife, and hop. Fork, two spoons, a knife, and hop. Glorfindel smiled fondly at the girl as Veduiel approached him with a smile of her own. “She is such a delightful one,” he complimented as the elfling, knowing she was being spoken about, smiled brightly at them before continuing her task.

There was no disagreement from Veduiel. “You should have seen what she did when Lindir came home the other day with the harp in pieces. Liriel, tell Uncle Glori what you did for Lindir.”

Liriel stopped after a hop and then puffed out her cheeks. “I gave him half my orange this morning,” said the little girl.

“No, no,” said her mother. “What did you do for him when he came home sad?”

“You mean when he cried?”

“Yes, what did you do for him?”

Placing the rest of the silverware in a pile at the place setting she was at rather than spread them out as she had at the rest of the spots, Liriel swung her hands at her sides. “Mmmmm, don’t remember,” she said finally.

As Glorfindel chuckled, Veduiel said, “Liriel brought him her stuffed smoo-dog and said that since Lindir’s harp was his favorite thing, he could share her favorite thing with her if it would make him happy again.”

“I even said he could have it to sleep with if he wants some nights,” said Liriel as she suddenly recalled the events from days earlier. “He said he did not want it, but I still ask him before I go to sleep.” Leaning toward Glorfindel and whispering in a conspiratorial voice, she said, “If he does need to sleep with smoo-dog, then I would not be able to go to sleep, unless I got to sleep between Nanners and Adada, so I hope he does want to because their bed is big and fluffier than mine.”

Veduiel rolled her eyes as laughter moved from the far rooms, getting closer to them. Lindir happily came through the doorway, leaning over to kiss his mother on the cheek. “Smells wonderful, Nana,” he said before picking up his little sister and hoisting her up into the air, swinging her around.

The young girl squealed in delight, but Veduiel scolded them. “Not in the dining room with my good plates on the table!” She went so far as to waggle a finger at the giggling siblings before going back through the door to the kitchen. Moments later, Lindreth and Erestor emerged into the dining room, laughing as they spoke to one another.

“There was one time, I did not know that Lord Elrond had left the room,” Erestor was saying, “and I was just finishing my tea. He had closed the door so quietly, that I had not taken note of it. Not only did I keep speaking as if he was still there, but when he did not answer, I followed where I had heard his steps- walking myself right into the door! Broke my nose, blood everywhere I imagine.”

Lindreth chuckled as he brought Erestor to the table and helped him to find a seat. “Ah, the trials we go through, cousin,” he said. Lindir rushed to help his father pull the chair away from the table, but Lindreth hooked an arm around it and managed to sloppily yank it far enough away for Erestor to sit down. “At least we both have someone wonderful to help us with our hardships.”

“It is indeed a blessed thing that we are loved. And, put up with,” Erestor added, getting Lindreth to laugh again.

“I love my Adada,” spoke Liriel. “I love him most of all, except for Nanners and Lindir and Lineth.”

“Who is Lineth? Is she here?” Erestor asked.

“Lineth is our eldest; she married only a few years after we came here to the valley. She was unable to attend supper tonight with her husband, but she promised me that she wished to meet you before she leaves,” explained Veduiel, bringing forth from the kitchen an assortment of bowls of food on a platter.

“I did not know that Lineth was leaving,” said Glorfindel, but then he had to bite upon his tongue and turn away, pretending to look at something on the wall. He had attended Lineth’s wedding; of course she would be leaving. Leaving-

“For Lothlorien. Her husband accepted a transfer of some sort, though, I thought he was quite happy here. She will not say much about it, only that it is all for the best. Perhaps it is,” said Veduiel as she moved the dishes from the tray to the table.

Climbing up onto her father’s lap, Liriel said, “Nanners, can I help Adada tonight?”

“Only if you make sure he eats all his vegetables,” answered Veduiel.

“I think your mother can help me,” said Lindreth, lowering his young daughter from his lap. “Besides, do you not wish to meet the elf who heard your brother when he was but your age and made it possible for us to be saved? Your mother has made room for you next to his place.”

Liriel nodded, but it looked as if she really had wanted to help her father. Erestor did not seem to have to see the look to know this. “If you would not mind helping me, young lady, I would be most honored.”

“You have hands,” she said rather simply. “Why do you need help?”

“Aye, I do have hands,” Erestor said, “But I have no eyes.”

“I see your eyes,” answered Liriel as she climbed upon her chair.

Erestor’s eyes wandered lazily around, unable to quite land upon Liriel. “I have them, but they do not work. I would appreciate it if you would help me to find things, and to not stick my fork into a candle or eat my napkin on accident.”

Scooting over on her chair so that she was closer to Erestor, she exclaimed, “I would love to help you!”

“Thank you, m’lady,” Erestor said.

“Ah ah, before we eat,” Veduiel reminded Liriel as the young one reached for one of the little meat pies, “we need to say our prayers.” Liriel’s hands snapped back into her lap. “Lindir, would you mind giving the blessing over the meal?”

Lindir cleared his throat, bowing his head as he clasped his hands together. All of the rest followed suit, with the exceptions of Lindreth, whose arms were lowered towards his lap. “Blessed Eru, we thank you for this day and for this meal we are sharing. We thank you for family and for friends, and for your graciousness. Lord, hear our prayers, and keep safe our loved ones, our friends and co-workers, our pets and especially please bless Haldir and Rumil, and heal them of their anger. In your name, we ask this.”

“That was very well done,” commended Lindreth. Lindir beamed, and then reached over and passed Liriel a meat pie that was too far out of her reach. Instead of placing it on her own plate, she put it onto the one beside her.

“Now, you have to eat this all up before you can have dessert. And, you need to eat all of your vegetables, too, Uncle Restor,” Liriel said.

- - -

“I do apologize for that,” Glorfindel said as they were walking down the hallway to Erestor’s rooms. “I stop by at least once a week and both Lindir and Liriel have known a little of what has gone on with you in my life now. Liriel asked me some time ago what she should call you, and I said that if she asked you, then you would likely let her call you uncle as well. I did not expect her to simply do it.”

“There is nothing wrong with what she did. In fact,” Erestor smiled, “I rather liked feeling part of a family again.”

“Aren’t we a family? Nearly? Almost?” Glorfindel didn’t mean to sound too hopeful, but his voice did not hide it. He was tugged toward Erestor, the two of them melting into each other’s arms as passionate kisses answered the questions.

Completely forgotten, the walking stick Erestor had been holding clattered to the ground. It was another minute before it was picked up again, used to tap Erestor on the shoulder.

The pair broke free of each other, Glorfindel finding Celebrian standing behind them. “I believe you dropped something,” she said, holding the walking stick out to them.

Erestor took hold of it, but as he frowned, he handed it to Glorfindel. “Do you mind holding that?” he asked as he stayed close, but looped one arm through Glorfindel’s and rested his other hand in the crook of Glorfindel’s arm.

“Well, good night,” smiled Celebrian, leaving Glorfindel with a blissful look upon his face and Erestor to yawn and motion his farewells to her. The lovers managed to make it into Erestor’s room and close the door before laughing at their predicament. As Glorfindel locked the door, Erestor began to make what Glorfindel had begun to call ‘kitty kissy noises’ in an attempt to lure Charisma and Pounce from their hiding spots.

“Pou-ounce.” Erestor patted his thigh. “Come out, girl, where are you? Pounceable! Pouncer!”

Pausing in his task of turning down the bed, Glorfindel lifted up the corner of the blanket and peered under the bed. He did see a lot of cat hair, but no actual cats. “Charisma? Where are you, naughty kitties? Here kitty kitty,” he called out, searching for the cats as he continued to call them forth with Erestor.

“Come on, babies, sleepytime.” Erestor’s voice wavered a little. “Glorfindel, they are never out this late. Pounce! Charisma!” Erestor went to the window, stumbling on his way. “Charisma! Pounce!”

“Erestor, I don’t think they’re here,” Glorfindel said as he completed his very thorough search of the rooms. He joined Erestor at the window. “Where else do they go besides the kitchen?”

“Just to the garden, that is all.” Erestor turned around and clutched Glorfinde by the shoulders. “Glorfindel, where are they? They should be here,” he panicked. “They are always here, always, always here.”

“Shh, hush, darling, I will find them. You stay here,” insisted Glorfindel as he took Erestor to the couch. “I know it is difficult for you to simply stay here, but trust me. I shall find them. Perhaps they are still in the kitchen- maybe they were bribed with extra treats from the cook.” Glorfindel knew this was not likely the case, but it calmed Erestor a little, enough for him to sit the dark elf on the couch and leave the room. Once the door was closed behind him, Glorfindel ran down the hall. The kitchen was not his destination.