Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
Time passed in the blink of an eye. When Lady Celebrian found out the date that Glorfindel and Erestor had first met one another, she was convinced, despite Glorfindel’s hesitation, that the wedding had to be postponed until the summer. It was all too easy to convince Legolas to stay his journey back to Greenwood, and in the coming months he spent much of his time either with the Lord and Lady of Imladris, or with their advisors.

- - -

“I already know that the rainbow kitten is Finesse,” said Legolas. He was surrounded by a half-dozen mewing kittens, all of them crawling up and over his lap to tumble to the other side or rubbing their heads against him as they purred. “She’s the one you are keeping, correct?”

Glorfindel nodded. He and Erestor were both on the floor with the prince, who was now brave enough to play with the kittens since he had been assured that all of them had homes. Pounce was resting on Erestor’s lap, looking quite exhausted, while Charisma cleaned himself, one leg straight up in the air and in a position that only a cat could display with such dignity. An orange kitten, with a spot on its nose, was held up. “To whom does this one belong?”

“That was the one Haldir picked out. He has a collar for him and everything- what did he name him? He had a few he was pondering.” Glorfindel looked over to Erestor, nudging him when he did not respond. “Erestor, do you recall what Haldir named his cat?”

“What? Oh, ah, that would be Chaos. He named him Scout first, but since the little terror keeps clawing up the sofa, the earlier name was subject to recall.”

The other male kitten, another orange tabby, was picked up. This one had no distinguishing marks. “Where is this one going?”

“He will be living in Lindreth’s house. With Lindir leaving to further his musical education in Lothlorien for a while, Veduiel thought it might be nice if Liriel had a friend in the house while he is away.” Glorfindel smiled. “She already named him- Harper.”

As Legolas set Harper down, he was suddenly subject to an attack, with the pair of calico kittens racing up his leg after they had spied a loose lacing on his jerkin. Each of them batted at it, faltering and falling over each time. “I assume these are the two the twins are getting. It is all they speak of these days.”

“Roch, which Elrond insisted to them was a terrible name for a cat, which I believe only made them more convinced that it was a good name if their father did not like it, and Adu.” Glorfindel sighed. “Do not ask me to tell them apart, for it is as easy as figuring out Elladan from Elrohir.”

Erestor held out his hands. “Here, give me one of them, I can tell you which is which.” Legolas picked up the nearer calico and placed her into Erestor’s hands. He stroked his hand once down her back and then rubbed a finger beneath her chin. Receiving a ‘mewp’ and little rock back and forth on her front paws, he smiled. “This is Adu.”

Legolas picked up Roch and placed her back into the scampering circle of kittens. The final sibling was another orange one, but she was almost a tawny golden color. “And who is going to have this special little kitten?” he asked, picking up the litter’s runt and scratching behind her ears. She purred and rubbed her cheek to his hand with a little kitty smile. When he did not receive and answer, he looked up to see two elves grinning at him. For a moment, he looked back in bewilderment, until the realization hit him. “Oh, shit,” he said, looking down into the wide green eyes that were staring up at him.

- - -

For some, there was nothing out of the ordinary to the time that passed. The very young did not notice it, as they often do not. Elladan, Elrohir, and Liriel were often found playing the drifts of snow with their mothers nearby, or paying a visit to Erestor’s rooms to see their soon-to-be-theirs kittens. For the very old, time passed as it always had; unnoticed except for the change of the seasons. Comfortable patterns of work, play, and home life were followed. For the merely young who thought themselves old enough to be considered old and wise but young enough to be young and fair, the winter was the wait before the spring, when the valley blossomed, and new life sprang up across the valley.


Lindir’s fingers paused upon his harp. He bit his lip as the elf sat down against a tree just a few feet from the one he had been leaning upon. Quietly, he began to stand up.

“Sorry, if I am disturbing you, I will go,” offered the other elf.

“No, I thought I would disturb you if I kept playing. I shall leave,” Lindir said.

“Please stay.” The elf was looking up from the book he had opened. “I only came and sat here because I heard your music coming through the trees. It’s a beautiful song.”

“Well... it’s a beautiful harp. Much too expensive to have replaced the other one,” he added, and chewed on his lip. “I should go.”

“No, no. I will leave, I am sorry.” Haldir closed his book and started to stand, but Lindir gave an exasperated sigh and shook his head.

Sitting back down, Lindir motioned that Haldir should stay. “If I truly am not bothering you-“

“Not in the slightest.” Haldir opened his book again, and then added, “I know that monetarily, it replaces what I broke, but emotionally, that is a scar I can never fix.”

“Oh... I’m fine.” Lindir strummed a few chords. “Really, no one seemed to have taken notice of me before then. If anything, it was an announcement of ‘look, here is a bard, available for parties, begetting days and weddings!’.” Lindir could not help but laugh at his own joke, which Haldir merely smiled about. “Did you hear, they are allowing me to play in the evenings in the Hall of Fire.”

“I did indeed hear of that,” said Haldir, saying nothing of the fact that he was spending many of his nights in the hall simply to hear Lindir play. “Someone told me also that you are to play at the wedding feast of Glorfindel and Erestor.”

“They asked me themselves,” Lindir said proudly. His hands idly played over the strings as he asked, “What are you reading?”

“Another book on Lothlorien. I had thought I had read them all, but this is one of Lady Celebrian’s personal volumes. She thought I might like to see it, considering I have gone through all of the rest of the books on the subject already.” He held up the book to show Lindir. “It has pictures in it.”

“An illustrated book?” Lindir practically scampered over, and to Haldir’s delight, the minstrel was seated right beside him in a matter of seconds, looking closely at the images. “Is that really how big their trees are?”

“Apparently so. They would need to be to live in them.” Haldir turned the page, and then stealthfully raised his arm up and around Lindir’s shoulder before pointing to something on the current illustration. “They call this thing a talan. A tree house. Marvelous, is it not?”

Lindir had taken note at their sudden close proximatey, but did not make to move away. Instead, he leaned a little closer and asked, “What do they call these trees?”

“Mellyrn, or just Mallorn if you only have one.”

“It will be splendid to see them up close,” Lindir said. “I cannot wait until this summer.”

With a look of surprise, Haldir asked, “You will be coming to Lothlorien with us?”

“Aye. It is the wish of Lady Celebrian that I learn many of the old songs of the Noldor, which she has told me that her mother the Lady Galadriel knows well. It makes sense for me to go with the first party traveling there, which happens to be yours. I hope that is alright with you,” Lindir said nonchalantly.

“Absolutely.” Haldir smiled to himself. “Perfectly. It will be a pleasure to have you, Lindir. The travel party will delight in your music, that I am sure.”

“Yes,” replied Lindir, catching the hint of Haldir’s smile. “I am sure of that as well.”

- - -

As the spring fled from the valley, there was a swell of emotions from those who were there. The excitement and worry of those leaving for Lothlorien increased. The same was true for the pair of newfound lovers as they spent this day preparing for the ceremony that was to take place. The previous night was spent alone in thought, each of them in their own rooms pondering the events of the next day.

Alone was a relative word, for Erestor had seven others sprawled out atop the bed he found he could no longer sleep well in alone, and Glorfindel had one house guest of his own.

“What do you think, Finesse? Do I look as hansome as I keep telling myself I am?” Glorfindel smiled winningly into the mirror and then let his gaze drop down towards his feet.

Finesse had been lying on her back and twisted her head around to see what it was that the big cat with the yellow mane was so interested in. With one paw, she reached out to tap that other cat that looked like her that kept doing everything she did whenever she came by this window. A tap turned into a slapping until she did not see the big yellow cat anymore, and rolled onto her feet to find out where he had gone, for he was warm to sleep by and gave her many treats, and she was not about to lose track of him now that she had him trained so well.

She found him sitting on the bed, pulling the boots onto his feet. Why he insisted knotting up the lacings when they were so much more fun to leave loose and play with she would never know. One of his front paws came down and scooped her up, setting her beside him. She gave his paw a lick- he was always far too dirty as far as she was concerned. The only time he ever got a good bath was when the big cat with the long black mane gave him one, and usually they were wrestling at the same time. She knew from experience how difficult it was to give another cat a bath when they insisted on thrashing about and flipping you over, but the big cats were happy and that made Finesse happy.

Right now, though, there was only one big cat, and he did not seem so happy. She asked him what was wrong in her little kitten voice, nudging him with her head and nose to get his attention (and also to mark him as HER big cat, lest her siblings think to try to claim him). He answered her back in that rough grumbling that all of the big cats used, making her flop down in frustration. Why the big cats could not learn the little cat language when it was SO simple was far beyond her to comprehend. So instead, she simply licked his hand a little more and then sat up and put her front paws on his shoulder, kneading them as she meowed that whatever it was, the big black cat would fix it, because he always could.


In Erestor’s chambers, Lady Celebrian was straightening out the final wrinkle of the old warrior’s clothing. “I am so happy we were able to finish this before the wedding. Legolas says is looks exactly like what you wore in the second age.”

“I am sure the prince detailed the garments accurately for you,” said Erestor, who was dressed in the old uniform of the Greenwood guard. When he had been told by Glorfindel that the blond preferred to attend the wedding in his ceremonial officer’s attire, Erestor inquired as to whether a replica of his old uniform could be made in time for the event. As Celebrian handed him his belt, he said, “There is something under the bed I think would be appropriate. At least, I was told by Lindir that Glorfindel would be wearing his sword.”

“Yes, he had it polished yesterday so that it gleams like the sun.” Pulling the sword out from under the mattress, Celebrian explained, “Gracious me! Someone could easily skew four orcs on this at once!”

“Five, but who keeps count?” Erestor smiled nervously as Celebrian helped him to attach the scabbard and slide the blade within. “Well? Am I ready?”

“You tell me. Are you?”

Erestor held his breath a long time and then let it out slowly. “I am getting married today,” he said to no one in particular. “Again.” He let out another slow breath. “Well,” he then said quickly, “at least I am able to safely say that my spouse will not be running off and getting pregnant without my knowing of it.”

“Good lord! I should hope not!” Celebrian burst into a fit of giggles. “I am sorry, dear Erestor, but the image it painted in my mind-“

“Please, m’lady, say no more of it.” Erestor shuddered as he took hold of her arm and the two of them proceded down the hallway to the Hall of Fire. “Being without sight, I end up having to ‘see’ everything up here,” he said, tapping the side of his head, “and I fear I have worse imagery than you have conjured!”

The pair laughed their way through the corridor until they reached the double doors, which were being left open as guests continued to enter. They stood out of sight of the hallway, where one could see Legolas standing at the front of the room in lavish robes that were shades of green, with a crown upon his head of holly leaves and berries, customary of the Greenwood royalty. Upon the raised platform with him was Glorfindel, trying his best not to look at all nervous. Elrond was outside the doors, on the side opposite Erestor and Celebrian, keeping an eye on the last trickle of guests until everyone was seated. “It’s time,” he said simply, and crossing past the door, he approached Erestor to give him his own personal blessings before entering the hall.

“What’s going on out there?” questioned Glorfindel, trying to look without appearing to look. Legolas, who was facing the audience and therefore the doors, put a hand upon Glorfindel’s shoulder to calm him.

“Peace, Glorfindel. They will be in here in a moment.” A sparkle twinkled in Legolas’ eyes. “Never has anyone been so impatient to lose their freedom, my friend.”

“Ah, but for what I am gaining, ‘tis worth it,” he joked. He straightened up and turned towards the door as the sounds of Lindir’s harp began to play the processional. Liriel came first, daintily tossing handfuls of rose petals down the walkway with each step she took. Once she reached the front of the room, she stepped over to the empty side near to where Erestor would be standing later.

Next, the twins walked down the aisle, matching each others’ steps. Each of them carried a satin pillow, upon which was a ring. These were actually sewn on and for ceremony only- no one wished to put in jeopardy the possibility that one of the rings might roll off and under a chair or across the room, or simply slip and disappear.

It was the next one who came up the aisle who actually had the rings. Elrond followed his sons with a look of considerable pride on his face as he saw them take their spots on either side of Liriel. He was thankful neither of them waved to him as they had during the rehearsal, or asked to use the bathroom, and that Elladan refrained from pointing and shouting ‘Ada’s got a dress on’ in regards to the long robes that trailed behind him. Elrond stepped beside Glorfindel, and gave him a pat on the shoulder, then turned to watch the entrance.

“Please rise.” Legolas probably did not need to issue the command to the audience, but everything was done in accordance with custom. As soon as everyone was on their feet, Lindir segued into the next piece, and Celebrian and Erestor appeared at the doorway.

Walking as practiced with pauses at each aisle, Celebrian whispered, “This is the first time I have had the chance to do this the right way. When my father led me down the aisle, he just walked right straight down, dragging me with him as if we were going into battle. I was so upset for I had practiced hours the night before.”

“I am happy that I could do you this favor so that your practice did not go to waste,” Erestor told her. “You should have blindfolded him; then he would have had to have you lead instead.”


“What are they saying? Are they talking about me?” Glorfindel wiped the sweat from his palms onto his leggings. Elrond hushed him with a squeeze to his shoulder as the pair approached.

Celebrian relinquished Erestor to Glorfindel once they reached the front of the room, but before taking her seat in the audience she warned Glorfindel, “Be good to him, or I will know and you will deal with my wrath. He is a precious and fragile soul though he will not admit it,” she continued in a voice for only the three of them and Elrond to hear, “and I will not see harm come to him. Take care of him, Glorfindel.”

“I... I will, I-“ Glorfindel stuttered as Celebrian walked to her seat. He was brought back to matters at hand as Elrond cleared his throat. Glorfindel took note of the rings he held out to them, and placed the one for Erestor into Glorfindel’s open palm. The blond clutched the ring of metal tight in his fist as Elrond gave the other to Erestor and then went to join his wife in the audience.


“What was all that about?” Elrond whispered to her after he had sat down, keeping an eye on the twins as they stood on the platform in the case one of them became fidgety and needed to be taken aside.

“Well I had to say something,” she admonished. “Just as my father did to you when we were married. I am sure Erestor got an earful the first time; it was definitely Glorfindel’s turn.”

Not about to argue with his wife’s logic, Elrond sat back to watch the rest of the ceremony.


Glorfindel had missed much of what Legolas was saying about love and binding and relationships and honor and whatever else it was he was saying, for Glorfindel was not paying attention. His eyes kept wandering sideways to glimpse at Erestor. The dark elf was beautiful- from his shining hair down to the toes of his boots. He was more than gorgeous, dressed in his old uniform, and Glorfindel hoped this would not be the only time he would see him this way. Something, however, kept nagging at him.

“Now I ask, is there any among you who has cause to doubt the love these two claim for one another?” Legolas left the question hanging in the air before asking again. “Will anyone speak against this pair and their love?” The question was asked another four times, as nearly everything was done six times in elven weddings. As Legolas gave the crowd one last chance to speak, a voice rose up.

“Wait.”

Legolas blinked in surprise, for he had never been interrupted during a ceremony, except during Elrond and Celebrian’s when Lord Celeborn mistakenly brought him the binding rope at the wrong time. Looking at Glorfindel with questioning eyes, he asked in a low voice covered by the buzz in the room, “Glorfindel, what is wrong?”

“Everything. Just a moment.” Glorfindel stepped closer to Erestor. “Just a moment, everyone,” he said loud enough for even Lindir on the balcony in the back to hear. Threading his fingers through a section of Erestor’s hair, Glorfindel began to section it off.

“What are you doing?” whispered Erestor in confusion.

“Just give me a minute,” pleaded Glorfindel as he began to weave the dark strands together. He tucked the first braid behind Erestor’s ear and then walked around to the other side and set to work on the second one. Moving around to the back, Glorfindel completed the final of the three, and took his place once again beside his beloved.

Erestor reached up and touched the first braid Glorfindel had made. “Thank you,” he said quietly, swallowing hard as he realized that Glorfindel had even braided his hair in the style of the Greenwood warriors and not the kind the elves of the Imladris guard wore.

Glorfindel reached over and squeezed Erestor’s hand, not letting go of it. “Now we’re ready,” he said to Legolas.