Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Prince Legolas should arrive tomorrow, if he has not already this evening.” Erestor was sitting on the edge of his bed brushing his hair. His mask, rarely off, had been discarded in his lap. Glorfindel was already on the couch, with not one but both cats lounging on top of him.

An entire month had passed by in barely a wink. Lazy days spent riding as far as Tinnim could take them before growing tired and nights together, with wine and shared stories and laughter. After a week, Glorfindel had picked up the book nonchalantly one morning and began from where Erestor had left off, reading to him from the doorway as he bathed. By that evening, they had reached ‘The End’, and Glorfindel found himself in the library the next day to choose a new book to be read.

Little by little, he felt he was growing closer, breaking down all of the walls Erestor had built up around himself. Some took great persistence; others came down unexpectedly.

“Would you like to come to bed?”

“I have come to bed,” answered Glorfindel. “All tucked in,” he added.

“I meant, I think the bed is big enough for both of us. My bed.”

-THUD-

“Glorfindel?”

“I’m fine!” Glorfindel detangled his legs from the quilt. “Darned cats, shoved me right off the couch. Crafty little buggers and all.”

“Are you going to stay on the floor, or did you want to join me?”

Glorfindel practically bounced onto the bed. Charisma and Pounce followed suit.

“I suppose that answers my question.” Erestor stood up and came around the side, placing his mask on the night table. Shoving down the blanket, he slid the robe he wore off his shoulders and dumped it on the floor, then laid down and wrapped himself up in a cocoon of bed covers. “Good night,” he said, his back to the side that Glorfindel was on.

“Yes, yes it is. A good night, most certainly,” Glorfindel said to Pounce as she padded back and forth over his legs to find a comfortable spot. “Good night, Erestor.”

Nothing had been said since the initial mention of it some weeks ago of what might happen when Prince Legolas visited. Erestor had spoken of going back to Mirkwood, but Glorfindel hoped that his constant persistence was winning out, and that Erestor would realize that there was something worth staying in Rivendell for. A lot of little somethings, and one big important something. The big something, with the giddy smile who was sharing his bed.

“I don’t much like strawberry muffins.”

“What was that?” Glorfindel sat up, having not been even close to falling asleep and surveyed the room.

“Autumn is my favorite time of year, but I like spring as well.”

“Erestor?” Glorfindel leaned closer and looked down at the other elf in what little light came through the windows. He slept, his eyes were even closed. Deep in reverie he was, but talking.

“Yes, I’m Erestor, don’t listen to what my brother says.”

“Yes!” Glorfindel covered his mouth with both hands and let out a wicked snort as Erestor rattled off something about the cost of eggs. For weeks, all Erestor had to do to get his way was waggle a finger in the direction of Glorfindel’s ribcage. This, however, was quite a fair exchange as far as Glorfindel was concerned. Trying hard not to snigger, Glorfindel settled his head against his hand as he leaned over Erestor and asked, “Why do you like autumn?”

“I can hear and smell everything better then.”

Glorfindel shrugged and tried another question with a grin. “What’s your favorite color?”

“Blue. Sky blue. And white like clouds,” came the mumbled, sleepy reply.

“Why won’t you take off your mask?”

Instead of an answer, Erestor grumbled to himself, his brow furrowing. He made several disgruntled noises and his leg twitched. Hastily, Glorfindel asked, “Do you like it when I kiss you?”

Erestor calmed down, and sighed. Happily sighed. Glorfindel smiled and bowed his head, kissing Erestor’s soft, slightly parted lips. For the first time, Erestor kissed back.

“I think I love you,” whispered Glorfindel after kissing Erestor twice more.

“Love you, too,” came the reply from the slumbering elf.

Glorfindel felt a tingling sensation rush through his body, and he wanted to embrace Erestor right there, to pull him into his arms and keep kissing him. But then, Erestor would wake up, and his mask would be on again. Allowing himself one final kiss, Glorfindel snuggled under the blankets on his side of the bed, scooting as close as he dared to Erestor. The morning would come soon enough, and yet, it seemed to come too soon.