Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Are you sure it’s not some sort of ruse?” questioned Legolas as he stared up at the sky, lazily looking for shapes in the clouds. His head rested upon Elrond’s knee, hands folded over his own chest. Elrond glanced to his wife to hear her response as she bit into a strawberry and then offered the remainder to the resting prince.

“They look so much in love when I see them,” she said, and giggled when the juice of the strawberry was teased off of her fingers.

Legolas flicked his tongue at her fingers once more but missed. “Really. Well. Are you sure they aren’t stringing the two of you along?” He craned his neck a little to look up at Elrond. “What are your thoughts, love?”

“I wondered at first,” admitted Elrond, “but I think perhaps I was wrong. Still, I wonder.”

“I would wager they are both as deeply in love as two old soldiers can be, and I shall be blissfully happy at the thought of it,” sighed Celebrian. Nearby, her twin sons crept through the grass, hunting magic four-leafed clovers Legolas had promised them existed if only they searched close enough to find them.

“And I,” spoke Legolas as he sat up and perused the picnic basket, “would wager they have quite neatly pulled the wool over both of your eyes.” Finding a bunch of plump grapes, Legolas settled back down and began to pluck them off one by one, sometimes raising his hand up to offer one to Elrond or Celebrian.

“Shall we ask them to join us?” suggested Elrond. “Then you might observe them yourself and draw your conclusion from that.”

Again Legolas sat up, and now he spied the pair that had been the topic of conversation coming around the corner of the garden. “Ah. Yes, that would seem suitable to my curiosity.” Popping another grape into his mouth, he handed the now sparse bunch to Elrond. “I shall go and ask them.”

“Thank you ever so, pen-neth,” teased Elrond as he dumped the grapes back into the basket. With a smile, Legolas, who had begun to stand up, sat back down and leaned forward to give Elrond a lingering kiss. Beckoning Celebrian forward, Legolas kissed her as well while Elrond’s eyes stayed upon them.

When at last the prince stood and walked in the direction of the pair who strolled down the path Celebrian asked, “Do you want me to leave the two of you alone this evening?”

“What? Why?” Elrond took his wife’s hand in both of his and kissed from her fingertips up her arm as he spoke to her. “You don’t wish to join us? Have we bored you already? Wait, don’t tell me – you’ve a date with your boyfriend,” he joked as she giggled and shook her head.

“Sweetheart, I only thought since you’ve not seen him in so long... well, and I am a bit sore from this morning,” she said in a lowered voice.

“You can always watch,” suggested Elrond. “I’ll have your favorite wine sent up... comfortable chair... we’ll put on a good show... we always do.” This he was whispering into her ear, having worked his way up her arm. The twins were some ways off, having found frogs in the grass that they were now following.

“I suppose, I could force myself,” she said with a sigh, her smile betraying her. “For your sake,” she said with a wink.

“Oh, I do thank you, my lady,” he whispered back, nipping her ear before pulling away.

- - -

“Erestor, Legolas is approaching.”

A snort was the reply.

“Oh, sorry. You heard him, didn’t you?”

“I heard him and everything they were saying,” said Erestor quietly as he stopped, leaning upon his walking stick. “Prince Legolas, it is as always a pleasure,” said Erestor in a clear voice.

“Erestor, I have missed your songs in the great hall of my father,” answered Legolas. “You have long been a stranger to Mirkwood. I do hope you shall at least visit soon. And Lord Glorfindel.” Legolas extended his hand to the elf, who had been looking amusedly at Erestor since the mention of the word ‘songs’. “I want to personally thank you for alleviating my dear friend’s grief.”

“Prince Legolas, it is good to see you well,” answered Glorfindel. He bowed his head slightly, hoping to cover the blush that rose up across his cheeks. The smirk from the prince was answer that this was not the case. “Please, do not let us keep you from your midday meal,” said Glorfindel. “In fact, we were just about to turn back for the house to have lunch ourselves.”

“That is why I am here. It would please us all if you were to join our picnicking,” Legolas said, making a motion toward the cloth spread over the ground. Celebrian caught sight of them and gave a wave in their direction.

Waving back, Glorfindel placed a hand on Erestor’s shoulder and squeezed it. “Do you wish to join them? It is-“

“The lord and lady, and their sons,” answered Erestor with slight annoyance. “Yes, thank you.” Slipping away from Glorfindel, Erestor fell in stride with Legolas and walked with him to the picnic. The two spoke of Mirkwood while Glorfindel hung back, hands shoved into his pockets as he followed them.

Once they had settled themselves on the picnic blanket again- Legolas leaning on Elrond as before- the picnic basket was passed to Glorfindel and Erestor. A variety of cheeses and fruits had been packed, and wine was offered to them as well. Discussion turned to more serious matters as the twins chased butterflies.

“They returned a few nights ago,” said Elrond of the men whom had come to ask for provisions. “This time they ask for nearly twice what they did the first time. I hesitate to give it to them if this is to become a habit.” Legolas and Glorfindel both nodded in agreement.

“Then do not,” said Erestor. All eyes turned to him. “Tell them they can have half of what they asked for the first time. Find out where they live, what they do, and then teach them to do something else. Fish, hunt, make pottery, whatever- obviously, they have no useful trade. It sounds as if they need more assistance than simply a donation of food and supplies.”

“Hmm. Glorfindel?”

“I shall assign someone to the task this afternoon, Elrond,” offered Glorfindel, and the approval of this was nodded.

“I think I shall take my leave for my study,” said Elrond. “I need to make reply to the borders on this matter.”

Celebrian brushed stray crumbs from her dress. “The boys need a nap. I should return them to the nursery.”

“Shall I accompany you?” offered Legolas, and Celebrian nodded. “Oh, Erestor,” he said suddenly, “When last my father spoke with the men of the lake, they told him of a treatment that might restore your sight. I’ve given the instructions to Elrond.

Erestor’s solemn demeanor suddenly changed. “When can we try it?” he asked excitedly.

“Tomorrow if you like,” said Elrond.

“Tomorrow? Why not now?” blurted out Glorfindel, rising to his feet. When he took note that the rest were still sitting, he lowered himself back down again. “The men on the borders can wait; we should try this new treatment Legolas has brought.”

“Glorfindel, please,” Erestor said quietly, and Glorfindel pursed his lips. “Lord Elrond knows what he is doing. He cannot neglect the running of the valley for my sake. Tomorrow it shall be. What time tomorrow?”

Elrond took a moment to think as Celebrian walked to the boys and called them to her. “I should have time in the afternoon. Will you both be available?”

“Of course!” Glorfindel helped Celebrian to pack the items from their picnic. “This is wonderful, Legolas. A new possibility – a new hope. Worry not, Elrond, we shall be in the healing rooms at noonday tomorrow.”

“After lunch, please,” smiled Elrond as he stood. “Though, I’m happy to see you enthusiastic about it.” He glanced at Legolas, giving him a confident look about something, but the prince simply shrugged.

Uneasily, Erestor patted Glorfindel on the knee and said, “You need not be present, Glorfindel. I am sure it will be more of a fuss with you there.”

“Actually,” said Elrond as he grabbed hold of Elladan, who had made an attempt not to be rounded up by his mother, “it would be a big help to have you there, Glorfindel.” Motioning for Glorfindel to come to where he was standing, Elrond added in a whisper to him, “I hate having to restrain him. If you’re there, perhaps you can hold him and help calm him down. Ow! Elladan!” Elrond yanked his hand away and stared down at his son. “How would you like it if I bit you back?”

Elladan pouted and ground his teeth as Celebrian came around to take charge of him. “Come along, you little monster. You’re getting a time out after your nap.” Elrohir was already asleep, being carried to the house by Legolas.

“I think he gets the biting from her side of the family,” Elrond mumbled as he picked up the basket and followed his wife.

“Glorfindel?”

Sitting back down in the grass beside Erestor, Glorfindel waited for Erestor to speak again.

“Glorfindel, I apologize for speaking harshly to you, but you must understand that I do not wish to be coddled.”

“I didn’t think I was coddling you,” Glorfindel said abruptly. “Excuse my stupidity.”

“Ai, and it begins.” Erestor crossed his arms over his chest. “Do you even know what I mean? Can you understand? I was fine before you. I was doing quite alright on my own.”

“Were you? I seem to recall something about a false lover and some rather nasty soldiers,” snapped Glorfindel. Erestor grew silent and bowed his head. “Oh, shit. Erestor, I’m sorry. Damn, that was mean of me- why did I say that?” he said to the sky, and then slowly put his arms around Erestor. “I will try not to make you feel coddled if you will try not to say things that make me feel like a moron.”

“I know you mean well,” Erestor finally said. “I know you- well, we should go to the house.”

“Yes- big day tomorrow!” Glorfindel was grinning ear to ear and helped Erestor up from the ground, handing him his walking stick. “I do hope Legolas has found something to cure you,” Glorfindel said honestly.

Erestor nodded. “So do I.”