Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"Gimli, where are you going?" asked Haldir, but he realized the Dwarf could not hear him. "Where is he going, Legolas?"

"To the carriage. He will be riding with Lord Elrond and Lady Celebrian," explained Legolas.

Haldir frowned. "I was under the impression that your father was to ride in the same carriage as Lord Elrond."

Legolas nodded. "You are correct, as usual."

"Flattery may get you on my good side, but it still does not answer my question."

"I answered both your question and your statement," was the reply as Legolas crossed his arms over his chest.

Haldir considered this for a moment, and then narrowed his eyes. "You've spoken with my brothers."

"Before coming to the palace, but I knew how to annoy you long before then," smirked Legolas. "Now, into the carriage with you."

Haldir made it slowly up two steps before looking over his shoulder. "What about Gimli? Don't you want to ride with him?"

"I have seen him each day for the last hundred years, I have seen you barely a week," Legolas said, gently pushing Haldir up the remaining steps. "Come on, your brothers are probably worried, knowing them."

This was what finally convinced Haldir to cease his objections and enter the coach. Legolas followed and shut the door after them, causing the carriage to move immediately, but slowly.

"I'm not an invalid, you can instruct the horses to quicken their pace," said Haldir, lounging across one entire side of the coach. Someone had thoughtfully provided softer cushions for the bench and a few pillows as well. He wouldn't admit it, but he was relieved the horses were keeping a slow and steady pace. The path was smooth enough, but one jolt could have caused him many minutes of agony.

After a long silence, Legolas picked up the leather bag that Haldir had brought with him. "Anything interesting for me to do in here? A book to read perhaps?" He was yet unsure of what to say to the elf that seemed now to be sleeping across from him. Riffling through the pack, his hands came across a small volume that he pulled out. "'A Guide to Midwifing?'"

"It's a good read," replied Haldir, not fazed in the least.

Legolas began to page through the book warily. "Since when did you become interested in such a... fascinating topic?" he asked, closing the book rather quickly when he came across the full-color illustrations.

"Since my sister and mother both decided to help increase the population of Valinor." Haldir opened one eye and said, "I stole it away from Valarda, who really didn't have much of an interest in it. All of the ladies of the house have read through it, I thought I might give it a go."

"Haldir the Midwife?" Legolas asked with more than moderate amusement.

"It isn't a bad idea to have the knowledge," countered the younger elf. "One never knows when it might come into play. Besides, what if I have elflings one day?"

"'T'would be a miracle."

Closing his eyes, it took Haldir a moment to understand Legolas' meaning. Picking up one of the pillows, he threw it across the carriage, squarely hitting his companion in the chest. Legolas laughed and pitched the pillow back to Haldir before putting the book away. "Well, I do not need to read it. It isn't anything I need worry about."

"Why is that?" asked Haldir. When Legolas did not answer, Haldir sat up and readjusted the cushions. "Regardless of my jests in the past, I believe you would make an excellent father."

With a wry smile, Legolas said, "I am old, Haldir, older than you can probably imagine me being." Looking out the window sadly, he said, "I am alone and will remain so."

"I very much doubt that will be the case," Haldir assured him.

Legolas sighed and leaned further out the window. "If only I could be as certain as you."

Haldir tossed another pillow across the carriage, but this one was not aimed at Legolas. A moment later, he was sitting next to the other elf. Haldir gripped the bench he was sitting on as he spoke. "I heard what you said to Gimli the other night. You thought me asleep, but I was still awake." Haldir lifted his hand to turn Legolas to face him. "Confide in me, Legolas." He paused, adding something he had not said in many years. "My love."

Legolas closed the distance between them, gently placing his lips upon Haldir's. "I still love you," he said as they parted. "In Mirkwood-"

"Let's not talk about Mirkwood," advised Haldir. "That's what got us in trouble in the first place. It is in the past and across the sea."

"We should still discuss it."

"Later." Haldir took hold of Legolas' hand and brought it to his lips. "I want to hear more about the other thing you mentioned."

- - -

Elrond exited the carriage and then assisted his wife in climbing from the coach. Thranduil had already left ahead of them and was standing proudly before the doors of the King's Kastle. Gimli was looking up at the sign and the large wooden doors. "What do you think of it, Master Dwarf?" asked Thranduil as he grasped the handle of the door on the right.

"I think you spelled 'castle' wrong," he said rather gruffly. Thranduil laughed merrily and shook his head.

"Trust me on this - you need only spend an hour within to find there is little reason to care about the spelling of the sign," he said. "Would you like to know why we call it the King's Kastle?"

Gimli crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes a bit. "I would'ave thought it was due to your kingdom in Mirkwood."

"No… well, yes…," Thranduil said, a little put-off by the fact he had not received the sort of 'please tell me' responses he was used to. "But as you have already said, I could have named it the King's Castle-"

"Why didn'tja then?"

Thranduil paused and took a deep breath. Off to the side, Celebrian was doing her best not to burst out in a fit of giggles, while Elrond had his lips tightly sealed, though his eyes twinkled with laughter. The second carriage came to a stop as Thranduil said, "I found that not all of the elves of Valinor are the same kind of elves I recall from my early days here. That being the case, I also found that by putting words in Westron on the door to one's establishment tended to keep out those who would not have been desired within."

Gimli looked up at the door once again before looking back to Thranduil. "But why did the word 'castle' get misspelled?"

Thranduil and Gimli stood looking at each other, one down, one up, until Legolas approached. "My son, you have the strangest friends I have ever met," he said to Legolas in Sindarin before pulling the door open and motioning that everyone should enter.

Legolas opened his mouth, but Gimli pushed him to enter. "You can inform him later that I can understand a fair amount of elf-talk," suggested the Dwarf once they had walked to the entrance leading to the bar and dancehall. Legolas glanced over his shoulder to see his father still standing at the door with a very shocked Elrond and an amused Celebrian.

"Lord Elrond looks like he's about to faint," Legolas said with worry.

Haldir, who had been silent as the trio reached the door, turned around to see Elrond with a hand on his head and giving Thranduil a somewhat shameful look as the other began to motion to things around the room rather proudly. "Why do I get the feeling he is making comparisons between this place and the First Homely House?"

"You've heard the story about it being an inn, too?"

"Inn?" Haldir shook his head. "Not quite. It was more of a bed and breakfast with a school attached. I did work there briefly, if you recall."

Legolas nodded. "And the riddle is solved. Now, if only-"

He was interrupted by applause in the room as the musicians took their bows. The leader of the group waved her arm above her head to call for silence and announced, "For your entertainment, and upon request of our special guests this evening, the esteemed Lord Orophin will be singing us a tune to tickle your funny bone. Lord Orophin!"

Looking abruptly to Haldir, Legolas was about to suggest that they should perhaps go back outside and get some fresh air, but Haldir was three paces into the crowd on the floor before he could be stopped. "He doesn't know!" Legolas hissed to Gimli. "Orophin and Rumil said they'd never told him what it is Orophin does here, oh, this could be such a disaster…"

His voice was drowned out as the musicians remaining onstage struck up a very seductive number. From the door that led out to the forest in the back came a tall elf, sporting a black wig made of horsehair and an equally dark robe. Orophin was whistled at by elves and elleths alike. "Nice dress!" shouted a voice that sounded an awful lot like his wife, to which he called back, "Shall I wear it home for you?" Snickering and laughter followed as he took the stage.

"Oh, Elbereth, don't let him sing… please… don't let him sing…" begged Haldir as Legolas approached. Gimli had opted to go to the bar where he could sit upon a stool and actually see what was going on. "Legolas, he sings like a horse," he added when he realized he had been followed.

When Orophin opened his mouth, however, nothing but beautiful, flowing notes came from his lips. The voice was easily distinguishable to Haldir, however, and his jaw hit the ground as the song was sung, with Orophin strutting across the stage and acting out much of what was sung with props that were either tossed to him or picked up from the stage.


"I hide behind my robes and I hide behind my books
I hide behind all of the time just gettin' dirty looks
Like some sort of a hobbit hidin' way down in his hole
I'm not really in the habit of bein' wild and out of control

But I'm mis-un-der-stood, Just misunderstood,
M-I-S-U-N-D, E-R-S-T, double-Oh-D, misunderstood.
I'm misunderstood, and baby, up to no good!"


"I need to sit down," Haldir said suddenly, moving to the bar. Legolas remained rooted in his spot until Haldir yanked his arm. "I also need a drink. Perhaps more than one. Considering this is your father's establishment, I think it should go on your tab," suggested Haldir as the singing began again.


"I like to sit and read a scroll before a roarin' fire
And a glass of wine, perhaps merlot, right before I retire
But when I catch someone starin' an they say "Oh, that librarian!"
What they don't know is precisely what I'm sharin', an'…I'm…


Mis-un-der-stood, Just misunderstood,
M-I-S-U-N-D, E-R-S-T, double-Oh-D, misunderstood.
I'm misunderstood, and baby, up to no good!"


Gimli greeted both Haldir and Legolas enthusiastically, patting a stool on either side of him. "Ah've been saving seats for us," he said. "And ah've had a chance to catch up with the lovely young lady we met the last time we were here," Gimli said, raising his mug to Glorcheniel.

Grinning as she retrieved drinks for the elves that had approached she nodded to them. "It's good to see you both again," she said brightly. "Wonderful to have the whole family here, isn't it?"

"Whole family?" Haldir looked in the direction that Glorcheniel was pointing, only to see most of the rest of the occupants of the house huddled at the other end of the bar. Haldir meekly raised a hand in greeting as his mother gave him a little wave and a smile. "I can't believe she's letting him do this," he said, gripping his wine glass tightly.

"What's wrong with it? If you'll pardon me saying, he's always been a little off as an elf," Gimli said, nodding toward the stage where Orophin was walking across the edge with a book balanced on his head as the musicians played an interlude. "He has a lovely voice, too."

"That's not his voice," Haldir corrected, looking darkly over the top of his glass.

"Oh, final verse!" Glorcheniel waved her bar rag at the stage. "This part's the best, I laugh so hard…"

Lounging across the stage with his head propped up by one hand, Orophin continued to fake his singing while he pulled book after book from a pile and tossed them to members of the audience who stood at the front of the stage.


"Whenever I sit behind my desk appearing just to think
Well, I'll tell you now, holy cow! Oh, what a kink!
Beneath Elrond's biography and mappings of geography
I keep Rivendell's largest collection of E-Ro-Tic Po-Et-Try-"


"Oh, Eru…" was all anyone was able to make from what both Haldir and Elrond simultaneously said at completely opposite ends of the hall at the exact same time.


"Just mis-un-der-stood, I'm just misunderstood,
Just M-I-S, forget the rest, and oh! if I could!

It's just,

I lust,

oh and forgive me if I rushed,

but I must

be

mis-under-stoooooooood!"


Orophin danced his way off of the stage, blowing kisses as he was cheered. He exited out the door to the forest with an extravagant bow.

"If it wasn't your brother singing, who was it?" inquired Gimli.

Haldir sighed and buried his head in his hands. "My father." Glorcheniel nearly spat her coffee back into her mug, and turned away, laughing and yet choking at the same time.

Gimli gave Haldir a pat on the back, but he was smirking and glad the elf was staring at the counter and not him. The group of musicians began another tune, and after a short time, Celeborn wandered back from wherever he'd been hiding to join the larger contingency of the house.

"I don't think I ever heard that tune before," mused Legolas.

"No?" Haldir swallowed a large gulp of wine. "It's one Glorfindel wrote. Orophin always thought it rather amusing. I never thought I'd hear it in public. In Valinor. Sung by my father." Each sentence had a bit more of a sting to it, and Legolas decided to concentrate more on drinking and less on talking.

"Excuse me, are you Haldir?"

Setting down the goblet, Haldir turned and smiled at the redheaded elleth who had approached them. "Can I be of some service?"

"Oh, good, you are the one they're looking for. Your brothers have requested you join them in their suite upstairs in the inn," she said, her green eyes trying to stay focused on Haldir's grey ones, but shyly darting over the rest of him as she spoke. "The King regrets to inform you that he will not have any private rooms available for you until tomorrow."

"Thank you, my lady," said Haldir.

The elleth blushed and replied, "'Tis only Tinnuwen, my lord."

"And I am but Haldir to you, my lady," he replied, and gently lifted her hand and kissed it. She smiled politely and hesitated before she curtseyed and left the trio.

"Whoo… why don't you ever do anythin' like that, Legolas?" questioned Gimli.

"Gimli, please," protested Legolas.

"Ah hear you complain about your runs of misfortune, but you know there's more to catching a lady than shooting a few arrows into a target and flexing your muscles."

"Gimli," warned Legolas.

Haldir smirked. "I would be more than happy to share my wealth of knowledge with Legolas."

"Oh, shut up, the both of you," grumbled Legolas, but there was a smile pulling at his mouth.

Glorcheniel was grinning from ear to ear. "I can see having the two of you around is going to be a delight," she said. "Do you want to know which suite your brothers have?" she asked Haldir. "I'm sure Tinnuwen meant to tell you, she's such a darling hostess, but she tends to become a bit flustered around such handsome elves."

"And you aren't?" teased Legolas.

"Oh, please," she said with a wave of her hand. "I have to work with your father now and again without drooling all across the floor and swooning each time he walks past. That isn't to say I don't enjoy looking, because I honestly do. I can just do it without thudding to the ground."

All three stared at her as if she was speaking some foreign language. Finally, it was Gimli who spoke. "I like her," he said, and raised his glass to Glorcheniel.

"I like you, too," she said, picking up a mug of coffee and clinking it against his ale, and they both drank. "Room four," she said to the two blinking elves.

- - -

"You poor, silly elf, you've injured yourself again," said Orophin, shaking his head before carefully embracing his brother. "Nana has told us all about your heroics, as well as the quick thinking of Elrond and Gimli. Isn't it going to be grand having a Dwarf in Valinor?" he asked, leading Haldir into the guest rooms of the King's Kastle that he, Rumil, and their wives were staying in.

"Yes, I do believe it will be," answered Haldir, to the surprise of himself and of his brother. Orophin turned his head and regarded his wife with wide eyes. Valarda merely shrugged and raised her hands palms up, unable to answer his question.

'Did he hit his head?' she finally mouthed to Orophin, who decided to turn back lest Haldir take note of the private conversation going on behind his back.

No rooms could be considered the best, for they were all fit for royalty, but this particular suite was done in greens and golds. Gimli was in the room already, looking around, which mainly consisted of him poking at things with his axe, and being laughed at by Legolas.

"It's going to be a bit tight in here this evening, but I thought more than sleep, we could all use some time together," said Orophin. Besides the four elves who had been staying in the suite, Legolas, Gimli, and Haldir would all be occupying the room, and the twins were also sitting on the floor as well, talking animatedly to Rumil, one on each side of him. Rumil's son, Celebdreth, was perched on the arm of the chair his mother sat on, for the twins and their cousin has begged their way into the suite rather than have to share theirs with their parents.

There was one more elf in the room, one who would not be staying. Galadriel stood up and smiled as Haldir walked directly to her and embraced her in a very loose hug. "Why did it have to be your poor back again?" she asked him, fussing as any mother would. "Is it bothering you much? Shall I draw you a bath?"

"No, the water irritates the burns, or what is left of them." Much frowning occurred and Rumil stood up and snuggled at Haldir's side, asking if he wanted or needed anything. "Just let me use the couch, if you don't mind."

Legolas had already sat down at one end and began to get up, but Haldir motioned for him to sit again. "I have use for you," he teased, and picked up a cushion from the chair, which he tossed over to Legolas.

"Oh, good, he won't be needing my lap, then!" Orophin said happily. "I'm so glad you're back, brother," he grinned at Legolas.

Legolas said something inaudible, and that was probably more like growling anyway as Haldir settled onto the couch and rested his head on Legolas' lap. Rumil joined them, working his way onto the other end and tangling his legs with Haldir's. "Why can't you hold the pillow?" questioned Legolas.

"I'm too bony, or so the great one says," Rumil answered. Haldir swatted at his youngest brother.

"If you ate more, I wouldn't have that problem."

"Better you be Legolas' problem than mine!"

"Oh, this is just wonderful," Orophin said, sitting down on the arm of the sofa. "Sitting around, reminiscing… it's just like old times." He glanced down at his older brother and added, "You're even injured, just like it used to be."

"Orophin, that wasn't very nice," scolded Galadriel.

"'Tis the truth," he pouted. His eyes suddenly lit up. "Do you recall that time, when you were running across the lawn, but you couldn't stop and you suddenly slid, fell onto your posterior, and ended up coming to a stop only when you landed in the river?" grinned Orophin.

"I remember the incident, but that wasn't me," said Haldir. "That was you."

"Oh. Right you are." Orophin chuckled, and his eyes lit up as he pointed a finger in the air, just recalling something else. "Ah, remember that time you got your hand caught in the jar of jam and when you pulled it out you fell on your butt and broke your tailbone?"

"That was you," replied Haldir dryly, and those in the room did not suppress their snickering. Orophin blinked and pondered this as he reached behind and felt his lower back, and wincing as he fully remembered the event.

"Oh... yes. Well…" His eyes light up again, and he moved to the floor, closer to Haldir, and pulled on the hand that had been thrown haphazardly across his older brother's eyes. "BUT! Remember the time you tripped UP the stairs?" Orophin chuckled madly, and Haldir sighed.

"That was you again." Haldir sat up slightly, looking down at his brother amid the laughing elves and dwarf. "What has gone on up there, have I been imposed over every embarrassing moment you've ever had?" he asked, tapping on Orophin's head.

Orophin nodded. "You should see yourself in those ugly dresses Ada made me wear during diplomatic missions." Haldir rolled his eyes and settled his head back down on Legolas' lap. "Wait! I have one!" Haldir glanced over warily and Orophin continued. "One day, we were playing outside, and you ran at the Great Mallorn shouting 'Toro, Toro!' and you bashed up your nose. Blood everywhere. It was fairly interesting."

Haldir sat up abruptly and gave Orophin a long and strange look. "Toro, Toro?"

"'Tis Southron."

"We were playing hide and go seek, I was shouting 'Oro, Oro', for I could not find you, and ran into the tree on accident."

"It isn't as if I was doing things like sticking my hand in jelly jars on purpose," pouted Orophin.

"Yes, you were!" shouted all three of his brothers, including their 'adopted' one.

Orophin smirked at himself. "Yes, I suppose I did." He grinned, and then frowned as he looked at Haldir. "But it was never me who was upset. I always remember you crying about it, that's why I think I thought you were the one always getting hurt."

"I did not like to see you in pain," answered Haldir, but Orophin shook his head.

"Oh, no. I do know for a fact that you were the one responsible for tripping me, kicking me, punching me, and biting me on occasions."

"Biting?" questioned Legolas, looking down at Haldir with amusement.

"He's a biter," nodded Orophin.

Haldir glared at his brother, and then said, "That was different."

"'Tis fine for you to hurt me, but not for anyone else," said Orophin, moving to sit on the floor next to his wife.

"Correct. Eldest brothers have that advantage. It's in the rules."

"What rules? I want to see these so called rules."

"You aren't allowed to," Haldir informed him. "It is a secret society of firstborn males to which you do not belong."

"I can attest to that," grinned Elladan, raising his hand.

"So can I," Elrohir said. "And for the record, Elladan's a biter, too."

"I wonder if that's in the rules?" mused Orophin.

"You'll never know," smiled Haldir.

Orophin shrugged. "I'll find a way. I always find a way, if I really want to know." He paused and stretched his arms up over his head, letting one of them drop across Valarda's shoulder.

"Not having a child just so you can smuggle a copy of the rules from him."

Orophin promptly removed his arm from her and leaned back. "Celebdreth, who's your favorite uncle?"

"Uncle Haldir."

"Second favorite?"

"Uncle Elrond."

"How'd you like to make some money, kid?"

Orophin's offhand line caused an eruption of laughter in the room. Celebdreth shook his head and crossed his arms.

"Fine, be that way," sighed Orophin. "Allow your poor uncle to live in ignorance."

"How is that any different from any other day?" asked Celebdreth.

"Well, now you're out of my will," added Orophin.

Legolas looked at Orophin with immense surprise. "You have a will?"

"Naturally. Think about it. How many times have you threatened to kill me? At least a dozen, right? Multiply that times every elf in Valinor…" Even Orophin laughed at his own joke. "Ah, well, I do recall one time where both of us were hurt," Orophin said to Haldir. "Remember when we were swinging from the railing on the tree and I lost my grip, and you tried to grab hold of me, and we both just fell straight to the ground? Very ungraceful move on my part," he admitted. "Nana, you were in a panic, Haldir was crying, and I was just poking at my injuries."

Galadriel frowned. "I don't recall that."

"You don't remember?" Orophin rolled his eyes. "You lifted up my arm, it was practically limp. Just hanging there from my shoulder. You lifted it up, and you just lost it."

Deepening her frown, Galadriel slowly shook her head. "I'm sorry, but I just can't remember it, Orophin."

"You were definitely there," Haldir said sleepily. "You wouldn't leave us, but you didn't want to move us, and there wasn't anyone around. Maybe you blocked it out. It was a fairly traumatic experience."

"Maybe I did," Galadriel said, but her voice was unsure and she looked a little worried that she could not recall the incident.

"Poor Haldir, though," remarked Orophin. "He was just bawling like an elfling."

"I was an elfling."

"But older than I!" Orophin shook his head.

Haldir opened one eye. "Did you see what your arm looked like? It was hanging at a very unnatural angle!"

"Halli, you were crying your eyes out," Orophin said. "Why can't you just admit that?" Orophin looked up to Legolas and said, "He's a very sensitive elf. Are you sure you want to keep him?"

Haldir's eyes flashed open angrily and he nearly injured his youngest brother as he yanked himself away from Rumil and Legolas. He crossed the room to the door, thinking it would lead to the hallway. Instead, it opened to the porch. He considered going back for a moment, but then exited as he heard movement behind him, slamming the door on his way.

The air was cool and chilled him uncomfortably, but he ignored it and stared out over the dark forest. It was not long before the door behind him opened, and he did not need to look to know who it was.

"Why is it," questioned Haldir, "that you feel a need to embarrass and humiliate me?"

"What?" Orophin stepped next to his brother and put a hand on the elder's shoulder, but it was shrugged off. "Halli, you're overreacting. I was just telling stories."

Haldir snorted with indignation. "At my expense. Always at my expense."

"That isn't true," defended Orophin.

Nodding with his jaw set, Haldir said, "No, you're right. Tonight, you also did it at the expense of Erestor. I can only hope you will never do what you did in the bar in front of him."

Unknown to them, an elf had silently moved just outside the door to the porch, yet they had not noticed, yelling at each other as they had. The elf stayed silent, watching and waiting should he need to intercede.

"What is this about? Really. Your damned pride. Well, Captain, you can either swallow it right now or go back to living in your birch tree, because this is going to end. Your constant grousing. Poor Haldir, he's so sad about every damned thing that's ever happened to him and he's just going to milk it for all it's worth. Go ahead, but don't expect any more sympathy from me. You can't pine away for her, then go jump him in a carriage, and ten minutes later come crying to me again about her not coming to Valinor. You can't keep having it both ways."

Sighing heavily, Haldir tried to put his hand on Orophin, but it was the younger brother who shied away. "Oro, understand, I've been under a lot of stress--"

"Dammit, Halli, we miss her, too." Orophin blinked his eyes furiously and wiped beneath them. "We miss her, too. And Estel. And Glorfindel, and… blast it, I even miss Erestor," he admitted. "I want you to be happy, Halli. All of us do. Just don't think you're the only one dealing with this grief. We will share it with you, but I just wish you wouldn't make it out to be so much worse than our own."

Legolas chose this moment to step out of the shadow and between the two brothers, placing an arm around each of them. After hugging them against him, he kissed each of his 'brothers' on the brow, and then shoved Orophin into Haldir and left the porch.

Haldir opened his mouth, but Orophin interjected. "Do not even try to tell me nothing went on in that carriage. Gimli's already informed me that you rode over in one separate from the rest. No," he said, lifting up his hand. "Do not give me details."

"I wasn't about to," grumbled Haldir, but the harshness of his tone had lessened.

Orophin pouted. "So you're not going to give me details?"

"I didn't think you wanted them."

"But you'd have told me. If I'd have asked?"

"Orophin," sighed Haldir. "When have I truly ever kept anything from you?"

Orophin smiled and patted his brother on the head. "I don't want to fight with you," began Orophin again. "I don't like it when I'm angry at you or when you're angry at me, you orc."

"Warg."

"Balrog."

"Your mother," grinned Haldir.

"I'm telling Nana," sang out Orophin in a sing-song voice as he tried to turn to go, only to be pulled to the ground and tickled behind his knees. "Oh, you orc!" Orophin made an attempt to reverse things, and eventually managed to pin one of Haldir's arms behind his back while he tickled his brother's side.

"Nana! Oro's tickling me!" shouted Haldir. "Ow, Oro, I'm injured!"

"You should have thought of that before you started it!"

In the sitting room, Galadriel stopped Legolas from going back out on the porch to try to solve things again. "Best to just let them be," she suggested. "I know from personal experience, they'll just drag whomever tries to break them up down into the fray with them."

There was a sudden knock on the door. Being that he was already standing, Legolas walked through the hallway to open it. On the other side was a small group of ladies, and at the head of the group stood a tall blonde dressed as if she were going into battle, one hand on the hilt of her sword. She looked Legolas up and down and said, "You're not Thranduil."

"Oh, that's his son!" said one of the ladies in the back of the group, and she came forward apologetically, being the hostess from earlier. "I'm terribly sorry," said Tinnuwen, biting her lip. "There have been so many room changes this week. Sorry to have disturbed you," she curtseyed and began to lead the group away.

"No bother, really," Legolas said, and added, "Is there something the matter you need help with?" He couldn't help but notice all of the ladies, with the exception of Tinnuwen, were dressed in tunics and leggings or tight leather breeches, many of them with weapons at their sides or sacks slung over their shoulders.

The elleth who had knocked on the door turned her head and looked him over. "I think we can handle this," she said, causing some of the rest of the party to laugh. Tinnuwen merely smiled at him politely and wrung her hands.

"Delian and her company have asked to use the caves this evening, but they want to have privacy. I need to find the King and speak with him to see if this is possible. Again, I am terribly sorry that we inconvenienced you. Good evening," Tinnuwen said, and led the group down the hallway.

Legolas closed the door and went back into the sitting room. "Wrong door," he said in explanation, sitting down on the floor next to Rumil. Orophin and Haldir had come in from the porch and were both sprawled on the couch, still laughing at some private joke as their mother rounded the room to say good night to everyone before leaving.

Slowly, the elves retired to one of the two bedrooms or to the back parlor where there were two more couches, until all that remained in the main room were Haldir, Orophin, Rumil, and Legolas, conversing about a great many things. When the conversation waned, Legolas mentioned the odd group at the door, which prompted more questions.

"Orophin, you've been in these caves, I know you have. Tell us what they are like," said Haldir, still lounged across the couch with his eyes closed.

Orophin shook his head. "You have to see them. It takes the fun out of it if you just tell someone what's down there."

"Rumil?"

"He's right, Halli. Perhaps tomorrow we could show them to you," offered the youngest.

Legolas leaned back in his chair. "I am strangely curious as to what that group was going to go and do. My first impression was that…" he glanced over to Orophin. "We should go down and see what they're up to."

"Oh, it's been quite a few hours," spoke Haldir. "Surely, they aren't still down there."

"On the contrary, they'll probably still be there in the morning," said Rumil. "But you heard them, they don't want any disturbances."

"They're my father's caves," Legolas said. "By all rights, I should be allowed to see them whenever I choose." He looked at Orophin again. "I know you're just as curious as I am. And Rumil doesn't have any sense of adventure--"

"Not true!" pouted Rumil.

"-and Haldir's an invalid--"

"If the rest of you are going, I'm going," Haldir said as he sat up.

"Excellent!" Legolas practically ran to the door, still trying to speak quietly despite his excitement. "Come, brothers! Let us have ourselves an adventure!"