Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
"I can't tell you how refreshing it is to have a kindred spirit here in the house with me," said Valarda. She was lounging back on the bed in Elodien's new rooms, staring at the ceiling. Elodien was propped up on the other end, flipping through a book of illustrations Rumil had loaned her, and she smiled to the red-head just as Nenniach entered the room from the hall.

"Which would you like in your closet?" she asked, holding up three different colored satchels of dried flowers and spices.

"Um, whichever," replied Elodien. The netted bags were brought forward under her nose.

"No, you have to smell them first!" insisted Nenniach. Behind her, Valarda lifted her head and rolled her eyes for only Elodien to see as the Peredhel began to test each of the scents.

"Vanilla is fine," she replied after trying them all, and twice, as Nenniach insisted. The elleth nodded and went off to continue her work, making the room 'fit for a lady', as she had informed Elodien. Elodien had not the heart to tell her she would likely remove the bowls of potpourri later, after Nenniach had left.

Valarda seemed to have read these thoughts and started to giggle, covering her mouth and tilting her head back out of Nenniach's view when the elder elleth walked past again to fetch fresh curtains.

"So, what did you do in Middle-earth?" asked Elodien, having found a rather detailed picture of Valarda, dressed in black and grey, and brandishing a rather well-crafted blade. Her piercing green eyes drew one in to the drawing, and the care of the artist's hand kept one viewing it far longer.

"I was Captain of the Galadhrim in East Lorien and Commander when we lived in the Golden Woods while Haldir led us. Married his little brother, of course you know that, fought in a few wars before any of that happened, but again, it's history, and practically myth." She glanced up, seeing Elodien's confused look. "In the time Haldir lived in Gondor, he never mentioned his sister-in-law, jester, prankster, bane of his being?"

"No," admitted Elodien as she turned the page. "Haldir never much mentioned his family. What was it like working with him?"

Returning to her sprawling position, Valarda answered, "A challenge. He was very mature - I blame Elrond for that, and yet, I don't think he and his brothers quite 'grew up'. Or, they regressed when together. And it seemed like he always felt he had to impress everyone."

"Hmm. Reminds me of my brother Eldarion. He would always aim to break in the wildest horses, to hunt the biggest buck, to court the prettiest women. I think he felt he had to live up to what our father had accomplished, but he himself never thought he did enough. Something like that?"

"Yes, something like that. I don't think anyone's ever sat him down and said, 'Haldir, just do what you want to do.'" Valarda wagged her finger up toward the sky in a scolding manner as she spoke. "The only thing I can think of that he does for himself is play his flute."

"He plays flute? I never knew! I play, too! Well, not flute- I play fiddle." The young lady ran to the large cedar trunk and flung the top up on it. After rummaging through it, she pulled out a leather case, and from it produced a richly carved violin and bow, along with a hunk of rosin wrapped in cloth. Valarda had noiselessly joined her and was peering curiously at the instrument. "Isn't it lovely? Made in Rohan."

"It is lovely," whispered Valarda as Nenniach reentered the room. Creeping up behind them, the elder whistled appreciatively.

"My word," said Nenniach as she reached around Valarda. But as she lowered herself beside the pair, her hand found its way not to the fiddle, but to some golden garment in the chest.

Watching as Nenniach began to pull the item up, Elodien made a grab for it and tugged it away. "Oh, I didn't realize I still had that," she apologized.

"I want to see!" insisted Valarda.

"It's rather embarrassing," Elodien blushed, shoving it further down into the chest.

"Then I really want to see!" squealed Valarda, bouncing from where she was knelt. She tugged on Nenniach's arm to try to get her to bounce too, but instead the dark haired elleth tilted her chin down and pouted a little, widening her now sad-eyes.

Sighing in defeat, Elodien held up the outfit, which was a rather revealing one. A multitude of tiny beads made up much of it, hanging off in short strands from the sheer material that covered the arms. There were more beads that hung from the skirt, and from the shimmery fabric that only just adequately covered the wearer's breasts. As Elodien stood and held it up to herself, the skirt showed a slit up either side, and that quite a lot of skin would remain seen.

"Impressive," Valarda finally said, fingering the hem of the skirt. "Where did it come from? Surely not Rohan."

"Harad," replied Elodien, placing it back into the wooden box.

"Oh, do tell!" exclaimed Nenniach, settling on the floor in expectation of a story.

Elodien shook her head. "In Harad, they have a saying. What happens in Harad, stays in Harad."

"The less I hear about it, the more I want to know! Does everyone in Harad-"

"Oh, no," Elodien assured the waggling brows of Nenniach. "This is just for dancing."

"Pity. It's so beautiful. I'd wear it more than just for dancing," Valarda said wistfully. "I wonder how much time went into making it."

"If you think this one is pretty, you should see the costume Glorfindel has - and Erestor's! His is... I mean..." Elodien shut the trunk, ignoring the raised brows from the other two ladies. "What I mean is, Harad was quite nice." She locked the chest for good measure.

- - - -

"So, Erestor, I hear you learned to dance in Harad," remarked Orophin as their neighbors entered the kitchen.

Erestor's first reaction was to stop completely, then to blink, and then to blush. "Fin!" he protested, turning on his heal to look at his husband.

"What?" He slid an arm protectively around Erestor's waist and tucked him close to his side. There were curious looks as Erestor seemed to reflexively wrap his arms around his protector and place his head upon Glorfindel's shoulder. "Lies, all lies," spoke Glorfindel, patting Erestor's back. "He knew how to dance like that before we went to Harad." Glorfindel was rewarded with a slap across the upper arm and a loss of his companion, who retreated to a chair at the window, grumbling as he went.

"How to dance like what?" wondered Celebrian aloud as Erestor settled in his seat. She was so caught in her thoughts that she caused the coffee she was pouring to spill over the side of her cup for a moment.

Orophin shrugged. "I don't know, but now I want to!" He leaned toward his sister. "Valarda said that Elodien had this costume and-"

"Elodien, how exciting!" Celebrian said gleefully. "We should have a Harad Night. Elodien can play her fiddle, and we can have food, and drink, and- Orophin, what's wrong?"

Looking up from where he had buried his face into his arms, he whispered, "You missed you cue. You don't know about Harad or the fiddle yet."

Erestor rolled his eyes in exasperation as the siblings began again, while Glorfindel chuckled and slid into the seat next to him.

"Dear sister, I thought I would tell you, since we would never go around the house gossiping and plotting things, especially not behind the backs of others, that Valarda told me in passing of a beautiful costume that Elodien had obtained in Harad."

"What kind of costume, dear brother?" asked Celebrian as if most interested and completely unknowing of the answer.

"Why, a costume to dance in, and she knows how to use it! Also, there is talk that two other elves, being Erestor and Glorfindel, also have costumes similar, and that Elodien plays the fiddle," he said, enunciating each word to perfection.

Clasping her hands together in delight, Celebrian said, "How marvelous! We shall have a Harad Night! Elodien can play her fiddle, and we can have food, and drink, and music, and the three of you can dress for it," she said, looking at the less than enthusiastic Erestor, to the grinning Glorfindel besides him, and then to the mortified Elodien, who was standing near the door, having only just entered moments before.

"Can't," said Erestor. "I burned mine." As Glorfindel began to open his mouth, Erestor covered it firmly with his hand. "Tragic accident. Travesty, utter travesty. But, Glorfindel still has his, and he'd love to dance for everyone, isn't that right?"

Pulling Erestor's hand from his mouth, Glorfindel replied, "You actually don't need a costume, you can just-"

"See? He just can't wait!" said Erestor, using both hands this time.

Orophin's focus was on Glorfindel. "Whatever it is he needs, I will get it. Lots of it. Just tell me what it is!"

"Oh, leave him alone, he's shy," scolded Celebrian. "Besides, you promised to help me pull this off, Orophin." She managed to pull her brother out of his seat just as Elodien gained enough control to close her gaping mouth, and the siblings rushed out of the room, erupting into laughter once they were out of the door.

Elodien took a step back from the withering look Erestor shot at her. "At least I didn't say anything about what you did to your hair or about Glorfindel's tattoo," she said.

The kitchen door swung back open. "Glorfindel?" questioned Celebrian.

"Tattoo?" added Orophin, throwing a questioning glance at the golden haired elf before he and his sister ducked back out of the room. "Ladies and Ellon, place your bets, on where and what it could ever be," came his voice as it disappeared down the hallway.

"I'll... I think I'm going to just... bye," offered Elodien, exiting the room quickly.

- - - -

Haldir lowered his flute as the shadow of a tall elf fell over the log he sat upon. "It's good to have you here."

"It's good to be here," said Erestor, breathing deeply of the crisp sea air. "The last time I stood here... well... the company wasn't this pleasant," he finished, and left it at that. "It's good to find you're still playing."

"Ah, yes. I suppose. It keeps me busy," said Haldir as he fingered the slender wooden instrument.

"I was rather hoping you still enjoyed it." From behind his back, Erestor brought forth a long package tied with a blue ribbon. "I picked it up in Harad for you, I tried to bring a little something of, well, this is home, but Middle-earth is still home, too," he said as he handed the gift to Haldir.

Setting his flute upon his lap, Haldir untied the bow and let the paper fall from the object, an instrument not unlike his flute, but not simply straight, for it bulged here and again there and looked to be almost white as snow with a unique shine.

"They make them from the tusks of the Mumakils. You should see how they charm serpents into dancing with them, and the beautiful dances they perform."

"Erestor, this is beyond words. Thank you." Lifting the flute, Haldir experimented with a few notes, testing the sound. It was exotic, raspier and richer than the light and airy sounds his old worn flute made.

"You are a natural," complimented Erestor as Haldir began to play a slow yet exciting tune that sounded as if it would have come from a passing caravan in the east.

"You know," said Haldir as he took the flute and held it out to look at it again, tracing the carved images of the men who lived in their tents, of the camels and other beasts native to the arid land, "I traveled all over the world, but I never managed to make it to Harad. I wish I could have seen it."

- - - -

"And he told you that they were going to plan the entire thing?" asked Elrond, a look of slight disbelief on his face.

Celebrian nodded, peeking out of the curtain to see if the sun had gone down yet. "Glorfindel said they wanted to make it all a surprise, Elodien said that it was so that it would be authentic."

"And Erestor?"

Smiling wryly, Celebrian replied, "He said they'd better just do it so that we didn't mess it all up."

"That I believe," Elrond said. "If nothing else, at least Haldir has learned a few new songs this week. Much less dreary than his usual repertoire."

"Glorfindel is going to dance for us."

Elrond considered this bit of information and said to his wife, "I am having second thoughts."

"No time for that, it is sundown!" Celebrian ushered her husband toward the door, where the rest of the household was racing to exit as well. As they squeezed out of the doorway, they found that the beach did not look as familiar as it had the day before. Where once a vast open shore was spread before them, fires encircled by large stones had been lit and small tents dotted the sand. There was one rather large one directly in their path, and it was the only one with the flap drawn back.

As Elrond and Celebrian led the group to the tent, Celeborn said, "They could not have done this alone, the three of them." That was when a tall figure halted them by stepping suddenly in the dimly lit doorway.

"Lords and ladies from lands distant, friends, guests, family, kin, we welcome you to our humble homes." They were bowed to, and in turn, the entire group bowed back. "Please, enter now the tent of Prince Balaji, sultan of the east."

"We're not in Valinor anymore, Beinie," joked Celebdreth as he and his wife followed the procession into the tent.

Galadriel shook her head at the elf at the door as she passed by. "My, my, Thranduil, I didn't know you were such an actor."

"Please, my lady, I am Sagar, royal vizier to his majesty. Do I know you? Your face is familiar - did you spend time in his majesty's harem?" Thranduil hid his smirk as Galadriel blushed and was whisked inside by her husband.

Once assembled inside, they were introduced to Samudra (Cirdan) and his wife Anjali (Nenua), the dancer Anuradha (Elodien), and Kanak, whose long and loose golden main could not hide his identity. He sat on the ground, while the others were lounging around the edges of the tent upon cushions piled high, leaving the center open. Everyone was directed to spaces near the entryway, or along the opposite side, or in what must have been the back, but the front, save for Kanak, sitting upon the floor, eyes cast down submissively, was cleared.

Just as the tension of the silence within the tent threatened to cause one of the guests to speak, the flap of the tent was thrown back, and into the dim light of the candles that flickered walked a godlike vision of darkness that brought a shiver to even the boldest of the elves there. Like the other male 'Haradhrim', he wore no shirt, nothing resembling a tunic, but unlike Cirdan, Thranduil, and Glorfindel, he had on a richly embroidered vest, deep violet blue in color and stitched with threads of gold and copper, and pants of a deeper blue, a coppery colored sash tied around his waist. The loose ends, instead of being hidden away somewhere as was elven fashion, hung at his side.

"Prince Balaji," announced Sagar, and he bowed his head, touching the tips of his fingers to his forehead. Some of the others did the same, some merely stared. As Erestor made his way through the tent, saying nothing and looking at no one, Kanak rose up and went about some unnoticed task as the whispers shuffled through the tent.

"Did you see his eyes?" hissed Rumil to Nenniach. "They're, huge, with that dark paint around them."

"That's my father," she hissed back, slapping his knee, but her focus remained upon the mysterious looking 'sultan'.

"Bet you wish you hadn't given that up now," whispered Sagar to Galadriel as he sat back down next to her. Celeborn shot him a nasty look.

Orophin nudged Haldir's side. "That's not permanent, is it?" he wondered, nodding toward the intricate patterns on Erestor's skin. They were reddish brown, swirling around his arms, peeking around the sides of his neck, and who knew where else.

"I can't believe that's my chief counselor," muttered Elrond as Erestor came to rest upon the freshly fluffed pillows.

"His hair is gorgeous," answered Celebrian, and it was true. Left unbraided, it was adorned here and there in some incomprehensible pattern of beads that caught every flicker of light.

As soon as he was settled, the murmurs stopped, and the 'prince' took a look around the hushed room, meeting the eyes of every individual there until at last there was only one he had yet to look upon. Instead, he brought his hands up and clapped them together twice rather loudly, and Kanak appeared at his side not a second later. "The wine," he said in his low melodic voice, and everyone quickly found themselves in possession of a large goblet of dark red liquid. Erestor was the last to receive his, and only after Glorfindel himself tasted it and handed it to him, head still bowed.

"Anuradha." Erestor regarded the Peredhel as she stood and bowed her head. "Assemble your troop." She bowed her head again and left the tent swiftly. "Kanak, mind your instrument."

Glorfindel rose and produced a long stringed object with scrolling patterns on the wood. Setting it across his lap, he began to pull at the strings with one hand as the other danced over the frets, filling the air with music that reverberated off of itself. The sound was blurred and coarse, yet perfectly erotic, like the buzz of hummingbird wings slowly to a sensual tempo. Erestor settled back against his cushions, clapping his hands together briskly.

Into the tent danced Elodien, who was veiled now and adorned with many shimmering bracelets about her wrists and ankles, followed by three other young maidens dressed likewise. While it was Elodien who was the true artist, moving around the room in rhythm to the tune that Glorfindel played, the other three were just as mesmerizing. They twisted and shimmied and smiled with pretty but sly lips to any who dared meet their eyes, but to Erestor when they passed their heads were bowed in reverence. The three added to the music with smaller percussion instruments while Elodien used her hands as an extension of her dancing.

"Me gusta Harad," Orophin whispered to Valarda, whose reply after tearing her eyes from their host was "Me gusta Harad mucho."

"Si," nodded Orophin profusely as one of the ellith paused to dance directly before him for a short time.

Orophin and Valarda were not the only ones murmuring to one another, for most of the elves of the First Homely House were in awe, but whispered their thoughts to those around them. Silent from this was Haldir, watching, but distracted. Wrapped in cloth at his side was the flute Erestor had given him. He had practiced some short interludes that Glorfindel had scribbled down, and as the song continued, he found himself realizing new melodies to compliment the dancing. A few times he had tried to catch Glorfindel's eye to see if he could gain approval to play along, but the golden head remained bowed over his instrument.

Chewing on his lip in frustration, Haldir tried to enjoy the performance, but his hand wandered to the flute, touching the fabric that concealed it. His fingers slid under the fold, making contact with the ivory. A loud double clap made him jump, and he turned his head to see Erestor, staring at him. The music had ceased, the dancers poised just as they had been a moment ago, breathing deeply from the exertion of their movements. Shifting his eyes, Haldir saw that everyone was following Erestor's gaze to him, and he looked back to the dark and beautiful elf.

"It does no good on the ground," Erestor finally said, and Haldir scrambled to untangle the cloth and raise the flute to his lips. Fingering the holes nervously, he heard Glorfindel begin to play again, but the dancers remained still. It was only a few short notes, and then it stopped, and for the first time that night the barrier was broken and Glorfindel lifted his eyes up to meet Haldir's. Steadily, Haldir repeated the phrase in the higher register, and as he hit the last note, Glorfindel offered a second string of notes. This went on, five times back and forth, until finally the beat from the bells and tiny drums began again, and Glorfindel did not pause in his playing. Waiting until he could feel the right time to join them, Haldir began to imitate Glorfindel's music, responding to the notes he played, and eventually, creating his own song within theirs.

This continued for some time, but the silent signal from Erestor to Elodien was not missed by any of the performers. As the ellith all gathered at the center, shaking the percussion instruments in finality, Glorfindel and Haldir drew out their notes. Applause broke out for the dancers and Erestor stood up, holding out his arms before him with his palms facing up. "Peace and long life to you all, my friends, and welcome to our kingdom." Stepping forward, he smiled, more like himself and less like the part he was playing, and said, "I hope you have enjoyed our introduction to Harad. We will dine shortly, but first, my thanks to those who have helped Glorfindel, Elodien, and myself in preparing this little festival for all of you. Thranduil for having been able to provide many of our props and scenery for the occasion, Cirdan and Nenua for converting this ship sail into the tent we are in and for other things, and their lovely daughters for the dancing and the food."

"I had nothing to do with the food," spoke up the elleth with jet black hair. "Nana wouldn't let me into the kitchen."

Snorting at this, the red-head said, "Liar, you wandered off to play in the Kastle's caves with your friends at the first sign you might have to help."

"Don't get her started," mumbled the brunette, but whatever she might have added to this was cut off as she stumbled on a fold in the carpet that lined the bottom of the tent, tumbling down to land in Haldir's lap as he caught her. "Pardon me," she said, smiling widely as she took her time in standing up. Behind her, her sisters were sighing and rolling their eyes.

"She did that on purpose," whispered the first none-too-discretely.

"I'd have done the same if I'd have been close enough," answered the second.

"Girls, why don't you help me with the food," suggested their mother, rising from her seat. Reluctantly the ellith shuffled out of the tent.

"Wonderful harem you have," smirked Glorfindel from his spot on the floor as Erestor stood, head in his hand.

"Quiet, or you won't have to pretend to be a eunuch," warned Erestor.

Thranduil chuckled and leaned over to Cirdan. "I am so very thankful right now that I did not have any daughters."

"And I was just about to ask if you wanted to trade," answered the shipbuilder.

When the group returned, there was one more among them - taller than the rest, but obviously younger with black hair tied back neatly in braids unlike the other three girls who had curled their locks and enhanced them with jewels for their performance.

"Cirdan, tell me I am not losing my memory, but I recall Anwamanė and Sįrailondė," spoke Celeborn, addressing first the red-headed elleth who had caught Orophin's attention, and then the lady who had tripped into his son's lap. "And... Nįriel?" He was rewarded with a bright smile and an encouraging nod from the other jet haired elleth, her green eyes sparkling. "But... " Celeborn shook his head, unable to recall a fourth daughter.

"This is Aerlinniel, our youngest," Cirdan said proudly as bowls of dried and sugared fruits and small buns that steamed, filled with meat and roast vegetables were set around the room to be passed around. He motioned for the young one to come to him and he took her hand, drawing her down to sit where he and his wife were as his other three daughters found places near to Haldir. "Aerlinniel will be forty-eight next month. We're hoping to throw her quite the party in two year's time. Tell them what you plan to do when you come of age."

"Ada," blushed Aerlinniel, fidgeting with the hem of her black and ruby colored gown.

"She's going to be a scholar," blurted out Anwamanė happily.

Sįrailondė nodded at this. "Erestor has said he will tutor her."

"Ada insisted upon it! He said nothing but the best," explained Nįriel, and now it was Erestor who looked slightly shy. "Ada said, 'Now, Oropher is fine, but just you wait for Erestor to get here'."

"Now, now, everything I was taught when I first began to take up researching was from your father," he said, motioning to Cirdan, "and most of all from Oropher. He is a fine elf to study with."

"He is a busy elf, and you are far more patient, and spent far more time across the sea" spoke up Cirdan. "Besides, you give me too much credit."

Erestor smiled. "You give yourself far too little. You must be hiding some great intelligence, to have helped in the creation and rearing of four such charming ladies," he said, passing a basket of sugar dates he had been handed to Glorfindel, who sat now beside him on the stacks of cushions.

"Girls take after their mother, boys their father. I have no sailor or ship builder among them, but all excel at the arts of song and dance as their mother does."

"Excuse me! I do, too, sail!" corrected Nįriel.

"You have a canoe," Anwamanė said bluntly.

"So? It floats."

"HAD a canoe," Sįrailondė said. "Until it capsized."

"It was a rough storm," defended Nįriel.

"You lost it off shore. In five feet of water." Anwamanė held out the basket of steaming rolls to her sister with a grin. "On a calm day."

Snatching a roll from the basket and biting into it, Nįriel declared, "I put it there for safekeeping." Taking the basket and handing it to Haldir, she said to him, "They are both just lucky I love them."

"The three of you need to stop by more often," laughed Orophin.

"And you as well, Aerlinniel," said Celebrian warmly.

Putting down the food she had been nibbling on, Aerlinniel shook her head. "I do thank you, but I am going to be so very busy with my studies."

"We can't come without you!" argued Nįriel.

Sįrailondė spoke up in agreement to this. "The cottage isn't so far away. We do have horses."

"It would be easy for you to study and then join us," reasoned Anwamanė.

"Now girls," spoke Nenua, "the trip from one side of Valinor to the other is very long. Just yesterday, I heard 'are we there yet?' more times than I can count." The trio of sisters began to point at each other in blame of this. "When Aerlinniel apprentices with Erestor, she will be staying at the cottage for months at a time."

"Away from us?" pouted Anwamanė.

"They could stay with us during Aerlinniel's apprenticeship," Celebrian announced. "We have more than enough room." Elrond, who had his mouth full of food, shot a worried look at his wife, but as she pinched his leg unseen to the rest, he gave something of a nod and Cirdan looked at his wife.

"Wouldn't that be odd, to have an empty house again?" mused Cirdan. "But Elrond, I must insist, there must be something I can do in return for this hospitality. You don't need a ship for anything, do you?"

There was light laughter, and Elrond was about to reject the counteroffer, but Celebrian answered for him. "Oh, can you imagine that? A ship would be lovely, like the little swan boats we had in Lothlorien."

"Those swan boats came from the design of the swan ships, the great ones from days so long past." Cirdan smiled. "Well, that will be fine then. I've wanted to build another ship, and this will give me the time for it. It seems only right you should have a ship on the shore," he added, "living so close to the ruins of Aqualonde."

"Thank you, Cirdan, as always you are most kind," said Elrond.

"A week with my girls, you might not be saying that," joked Cirdan as his daughters made faces at him for his jest.

- - - -

After the meal and before the second part of the entertainment, some of the pairs had left the main tent to wander the beach, or to walk along the shore. Haldir had found himself surrounded by three inquisitive and lovely ellith, and decided it would have been rather impolite to have tried to stand - especially considering at any given moment, one of them tended to be sitting in his lap or overlapping him in some manner. When the conversation lulled, he reached for his flute, and began to look around frantically when he did not find it.

"Have any of you ladies seen a flute?"

"The one you were playing?" asked Sįrailondė. "I think Erestor picked it up just a few minutes ago before he left.

Nįriel nodded. "You know, Sįrailondė is a musician, too. Anwamanė and I sing along with her playing."

"The two of you could play a duet," suggested Anwamanė.

"Perhaps later, I would be most delighted, but I should like to find my flute. Excuse me," he said suddenly, extracting himself from his adoring fans, and moving to the exit. He caught Cirdan's amused grin as he left and smiled back. As he walked down the beach looking for the host of the night's festivities, he continued to smile to himself. He had spent much time looking to the King's Kastle and other such places to find companionship, but it never quite seemed real. Perhaps he had been looking too far when the answer was under his nose. He had met Cirdan's daughters on a number of occasions, they had grown up in Valinor, all four of them, after their father's return to the shores of Aman. They were all pretty, and each of them with their own pleasant differences. And they were, deep down, sensible, raised well, but with a sense of humor, and a love of life. Any of them, he realized, would be a happy addition to the house, and quite easy to live with and love.

His thoughts continued on this path as he came to hear the sounds of a flute, the flute that Erestor had given him, coming from one of the smaller tents. Without thought to announce himself, he pulled back the flap of the tent.

Within the small tent upon a tall stack of cushions sat Aerlinniel, playing the ivory flute. There were only a few candles within the enclosed space, and they lit the elf who slithered seductively before her, his entire body set to dance like a snake under a charmer's spell. When he turned his head to the doorway to see Haldir gawking there, he said, "In or out, but close the door."

Haldir slid against the inside wall, dropping the flap. His jaw gaped open as his eyes stayed upon Erestor, his limbs graceful, his moves so entirely suggestive, and Aerlinniel, a blush creeping over her skin, yet she continued to play, and more boldly. It was as if she was testing Erestor - how far would he go, and he her - how long would she play. The contest of wills was broken by a questioning shout for Erestor outside of the tent. The music stopped, Erestor turned on his heel and listened a moment before sliding the flute from Aerlinniel's hands and taking it to Haldir.

"Tell everyone I'll be there in a moment," Erestor said, chest heaving, holding out the flute to Haldir. As the younger elf took hold of the instrument, he took note as Erestor placed one finger to his lips in a signal he should say nothing, then winked.

Ducking under the flap of the tent and hurrying back to the main area, he passed Glorfindel, who was walking in the direction he had just come from. "Uh, I, uhm..." Haldir paused as Glorfindel turned with a questioning look. "Erestor's... busy. He'll be out in a minute."

"Or ten," grinned Glorfindel before stepping to the small tent and disappearing behind the doorway curtain.

- - - -

Once everyone was reassembled, the charade resumed: All of the 'Haradhrim' were back in character. While everyone lazily lounged about from dinner, the harem girls refilled goblets of wine and came around offering candies and sweets from ornate plates dusted with sugar. Prince Balaji and his vizier took turns telling ancient tales of Harad and lands further still. Although it was their host who could recall the details perfectly to the stories, Sagar was able to capture the fascination of the entire room, even the prince, as he retold the stories with the flair of a loremaster.

Then it was time for dancing again, with the ladies being more bold as the night wore on. Haldir stole a look at Cirdan as Anwamanė flirted with Celeborn and Elrond during a break to the amusement of their wives, and was somewhat surprised that the shipbuilder was carrying on a pleasant conversation with Rumil and Nenniach. Though none of his daughters could have been very far past their majorities, it was only Aerlinniel whom he protectively kept at his side.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Orophin. Haldir turned to find his brother had flopped down beside him upon his stomach, elbows resting on the ground and head propped up by his hands.

"What do you think I'm thinking about?"

"Mmmm... Sairalonde or Nįriel... Anwamanė's too bold for you, and Aerlinniel's too quiet." Orophin waggled his brows. Haldir ground his teeth for a moment, but his smirk could not be concealed. Orophin laughed. "Both, then? My, my..."

"Do you think Cirdan would be an easy man to get along with as a father-in-law?"

Orophin contemplated this. "As long as you're not pursuing Aerlinniel."

A question came to Haldir's mind and he patted Orophin's shoulder and then stood. Briskly, he walked unnoticed to the front of the tent. Erestor glanced up at him, and though Glorfindel looked over momentarily, his fingers kept moving along the strings of the buzzing instrument and his head remained bowed. "Your highness," Haldir said with a bow, "I was wondering if I might have a word with you."

Erestor rose from the ground in one fluid movement, and led Haldir around a flap that concealed a small chamber within the large tent. On the other side, the music and dancing continued. "Is something troubling you?"

"I was just wondering how it is that you managed to convince Cirdan and his entire family to cross the mountains and forests to come here on such short notice? The two of you must be quite close friends."

"Things are boring on the other side of the island, and he had the tents," answered Erestor.

"And the four beautiful daughters?"

"Four beautiful single daughters," corrected Erestor, "three of whom are not infatuated with me."

Haldir rolled his eyes with a sigh. "Did my mother put you up to this?"

"No."

"My father, then?"

"No. Give an old elf credit for having come up with something on his own."

"Thranduil."

Erestor did not answer right away. "He... may have had a little something to do with it..."

"Ai, Elbereth, Erestor! She's been gone only a few months now-"

"I thought we discussed this," Erestor said softly in reminder of Haldir to keep his voice low. "Haldir, I thought you let go."

"I'm trying. Just... let me do this in my own time. I know you mean well, Erestor, and I thank you."

Erestor nodded as Haldir slipped back into the main room. Taking up his spot again, Orophin gave his brother a look of concern. "I know that face, and I don't like it. What's wrong now?"

"It was Erestor and Thranduil's idea to have Cirdan's daughters here."

"Good for Erestor... Thranduil, I expect that sort of thing from," admitted Orophin. "Oh, stop with the long face or I'll tickle you right in front of everyone." Haldir smiled briefly, then frowned again. "Fine, have it your way." Orophin clapped his hands together, catching the attention of the dancers, and gaining a confused look from Erestor as he stepped back into the main room. "Ladies, your dancing is wonderful, but I would so appreciate it if you danced a little closer to my brother and I," he requested.

"Why don't you come over here by us," teased Anwamanė.

"Perhaps we will," answered Orophin with a leer, tugging on Haldir's sleeve.

"No, Oro," he hissed.

"But Halli-"

"I said-"

A loud clap sounded and everything stopped. Haldir closed his mouth immediately and looked around. Erestor motioned with his hand, and the ladies all dispersed among those around the room, with Nįriel coming to sit with Haldir and Orophin. Glorfindel began to put away the instrument he had been playing while Erestor picked up a fiddle that somehow had made it's way to the cushions where he was sitting. "I would like to thank you all for joining us this night in Harad. When we have finished, I do wish to offer you shelter here in our community. There are many private tents along the beach, or you may choose to stay here in mine if you do not wish to make the long trek home."

"No long trek... I can't make the thirty paces to the front door," Orophin complained to Haldir, leaning against him.

Erestor lifted the fiddle and settled it to rest under his chin, the bow upon the strings. There was an audible buzz around the room - Erestor played the fiddle? And he did, smooth notes rolling off of the strings, dripping to the floor, and it was like it was in the Last Homely House with Lindir, and the song became tangible. It was Harad, as if they had been there, and they saw the camels as they lumbered over the sands, and the herds of mumakil. The brightly colored caravans traveled in long rows, and the riders of the milky white horses dressed in flowing fabrics, arms and faces painted with red.

Into the visions swirling around the center of the room walked Glorfindel, each step slow and pronounced, with bells around his ankles and at his wrists, and he brought movement to accompany the music. His steps imitated the great beasts of the desert, his hands and arms twisting and turning, telling the story of the land. His intensity was like fire, he flowed like water, and his energy rippled through the air.

Something was tapped against Haldir's shoulder, and he looked to see Orophin holding the flute. He was nudged with it until he took it into his hands, and nervously sat back, trying to decide when to begin. Closing his eyes, Haldir swayed with the rhythm before joining in on Erestor's song, hoping not to ruin it. When he opened his eyes again, Haldir saw Glorfindel pulling Celebrian up from the crowd, and he began to instruct her, but only a little, for Celebrian seemed very at easy in finding the beat and moving to the music. Each of the ladies who had been dancing earlier were rejoining Glorfindel, bringing someone with them. Nįriel had brought Orophin to his feet and was leading him to dance with the others. At the onset of the next repetition of the song, others were brought to dance with the rest, until everyone was merrily stomping around to the music, whether they quite knew the steps that the experienced dancers did or not. Even Haldir had been brought to join them, still playing his flute, and Orophin and Valarda dancing around him as he played. Erestor had added words, foreign to them in the old language of the Haradhrim, but the chorus was so simple that it was being sung by all by the third time around.

- - - -

"It's a shame Celebdreth's already married. He is a good looking elf, don't you think, Sįrie?" Nįriel and her sisters were sprawled in one of the corners of the tent, readying things for the night, and planning to sleep in. Anwamanė was setting up her little area, while Aerlinniel was unbraiding her hair. Sįrailondė was already snuggled into some of the pillows, and with one under her head, was watching the three ellin in the tent - Erestor and Glorfindel, but especially Haldir.

"Mmm... what?" The brunette turned her head slightly.

"Celebdreth. Cute. But taken," explained Anwamanė as she fluffed up some pillows into a little nest for herself.

Sįrailondė nodded. "Yes, yes. Translation - waste of time." She looked back to the other side of the room, feigning rest with half-closed eyes as she continued to observe.

"She asleep?" asked Elodien as she reentered the tent and came to sit by her new friends, having gone into the house to change into a loose pair of leggings and a plain green shirt.

"No, she's dreaming," snickered Anwamanė. Sįrailondė reached around and pinched Anwamanė's leg, causing her to snort and fall back. "We should just invite him over so that you don't have to strain your eyes."

"Brilliant. You do it," suggested Sįrailondė.

"I'll do it," grinned Elodien.

"Oh, so it's like that, is it," giggled Anwamanė.

Elodien made a face. "No, he's my great uncle, it won't be obvious if I do it."

"Oh, smart girl! Have at it, then! My eyes are sore," Sįrailondė said, sitting up.

Waving her arm to catch Haldir's attention, Elodien motioned that he should come over to the other side of the tent. Obligingly he strode over. "Good evening, ladies, how can I be of service?"

"We needed a big strong elf to protect us. It can be dangerous out here in Harad at night," Anwamanė said, batting her eyes. The other ladies laughed at her antics.

"You've been in Harad, that I know, Elodien, but the rest of you, how do you know of it?" wondered Haldir as he sat down among them.

Sįrailondė sat herself on one side of him, and Elodien on the other. Nįriel leaned back and said, "Adar collected lots of things, but most of them were from Harad, from the Corsairs. All kinds of things. Some from the inland, most from the pirates. He knew all of the stories, well, a lot of the stories. Nana's a dancer, so she learned the dancing, and she taught us. Well, most of us," she said, not looking at Aerlinniel, but the youngest glanced from her book upon hearing this.

"I can dance. I just don't like to make a public display of it," she replied quietly.

"That's our Linnie-fin, proper, not like the rest of us," said Anwamanė from her pillow nest as Aerlinniel turned the page. "Linnie-fin, where did you disappear to earlier?"

Aerlinniel looked up abruptly. "Disappear? When?"

"You left after dinner, and you snuck back in later."

"I wasn't sneaking," defended the young one.

"She was walking along the beach," spoke Haldir. Aerlinniel's surprised look went unnoticed by her sisters, for they were all looking to the Lorien elf. "I saw her there when I went to get my flute from Erestor."

"Oh," came Anwamanė's disappointed voice, seemingly hoping for something more scandalous. Aerlinniel closed her book and stood up, walking to another corner that was not being used. As further discussion went on about Harad, Haldir watched as Erestor left Glorfindel to rest, and sat down beside Aerlinniel, speaking with her about her book.

"Have you been to Harad?"

"Hmm, me?" Haldir shook his head in answer to Nįriel's question. "I would have liked to have gone, but I never did. Only the closer places, such as Gondor and Rohan."

"Oh, you were in Rohan? With the horse lords?" Nįriel practically bounced. "And the shield maidens?"

"Yes. I fought in Rohan, at the Hornberg, with the troops of King Theoden. I met King Eomer, and his sister Eowyn. Eowyn was a good friend of mine, we spent time talking and healing in Gondor."

"Don't you dare stop there," warned Anwamanė, "you've already got Nįriel drooling at all the adventurous possibilities. Tell us more about the land of the horses."

- - - -

"... and that was when I was in my thirties, she was my first horse ever. I was very proud of her, pretty grey mare. Ada helped me breed her when... " Haldir yawned. "When I was older." He looked around, noting that all of Cirdan's daughters were at rest, including Aerlinniel, who had curled up near Erestor and Glorfindel across the room. Beside him, though, Elodien was still awake, sleepily blinking her eyes. "Well, time for bed, I suppose."

"Please don't stop. They've been asleep for a while, now, but I enjoy hearing your tales," said Elodien. "It's just like when I was a little girl in Gondor."

Haldir smiled. "You're tired, and I'm tired, and it's almost morning."

"One more story?"

"What if I say no?"

"I'll cry." Elodien stuck out her bottom lip.

"Don't do that, you're too cute to cry."

Smiling as she rubbed at her eyes, Elodien replied, "I don't know much about Rohan, I couldn't sleep if I wanted to, it's all so fascinating."

"I have books you can read about Rohan," Haldir said after another yawn. "What if I tell you one more story, and then you promise after that to go to sleep, and then tomorrow afternoon when we finally wake up, I will show you my-" Yawn. "-library and you can take what you like to read."

"Alright. Two more stories and I'll go to bed." Elodien leaned against Haldir's shoulder before he could protest their deal, but he was saved by the fact that she fell asleep.