Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
The noise that came from the barn as Erestor abruptly stopped his song was like the moment after the shattering of glass. Sudden silence, and held breath. Aware of some disturbance nearby, he gently calmed the animals around him before leaving the barn and quickly following the path to a grove of large trees. Beneath one, Elodien had slumped to the ground and was staring at her feet, shaking her head. "My child, what is wrong?" questioned Erestor, stooping down before her. He used one hand to lift her chin, fearing Haldir had left her in tears, but the face that looked up at him was angry.

"What is wrong? Elves, that is what," she huffed. "All of the sane ones are taken, and what is left is a handful of confused war heroes that do not know whether to take what it is they are offered or run and hide!"

"Such is the nature of the beast," Erestor apologized. "Those are the elves who have done naught but follow orders all their days, and now in Valinor, do not know what they should do without being told by someone else."

"Oh, I was very forward today, my lord," Elodien assured him.

"You were forward, but were you direct?" questioned Erestor.

Elodien allowed herself the collection of her own thoughts and leaned against the tree. "I do not know. I just do not know anymore."

"What you need to do next time--"

"There is no next time. I am finished."

"What you need to do," began Erestor again, taking her chin in his hand once more and forcing her to look at him, "is tell him, in no uncertain terms, the things you wish. He may have been commanding troops for years, but there was always someone overseeing him and telling him what to do."

"What about Greenwood?" asked Elodien defiantly.

Erestor let his hands drop down to his sides and said, "I will tell you a secret about Greenwood." He paused, and looked around to be sure there was no one else in the area. "There was a very good reason I was called upon to be in Greenwood while he ruled. He is a good leader, but he still needs direction. Do you know what he did at the battle in Rohan?" Elodien shook her head. "When the Elves arrived, Haldir was asked to lead not only his army, but the rest of the army that was there. Instead, he turned his troops over to the command of your father."

"That doesn't make him a bad leader."

"It was an example."

"It is a bad example!"

"I-" Erestor took a deep breath and bit his lip, on the verge of anger himself. "I have found," he finally said, "that those in love often become confused-"

"What am I to do? Tell me, Lord Erestor, what have I done wrong?" When he did not answer, she said, "Truly, nothing."

"You're absolutely right," he answered. Sitting down beside her he said, "Haldir is a challenge." Elodien snorted and Erestor drew his arm around her. "But I think he is worth it, please, do not give up now. It has only been three months- for an elf his age, that's barely any time at all."

"I wish I would have stayed in Gondor," she said, hugging her knees to her chest. "I wish I would have stayed with Eldarion and my sisters, or even gone back to join the rangers again. Things are so hopeless here for me."

Erestor took hold of one of Elodien's slender hands. "My dear, your mother had a phrase she used often in the dark times before your birth. 'There is always hope.'"

"How can you believe that?" she sighed.

"Because I know things you do not." Erestor took another careful look around and said, "He loved deeply once before, even if he will not admit it. He loved your mother. It isn't that he doesn't want to love you, he merely wants to be sure he isn't doing it for some other reason." Smiling wryly, he added, "Your grandfather hasn't been the easiest on him, either."

"Yes, my grandmother explained all of that to me," she said quietly. "I'm just not quite sure."

"You will never know unless you take a chance." Reflecting on his own situation, he said, "Sometimes, it takes thousands of years, but even if it does, it is worth the wait."

"And the heartache?" she burst out. "No, such a thing is too cruel to me."

Erestor clasped his hands together, kneading them back and forth. "Allow me to speak with him tonight. Give me at least a day."

Elodien shook her head and closed her eyes. "Alright," she relented. "To be fair, a month."

Erestor nodded and after giving her a gentle hug began to walk back to the house. On his way there, he looked up to the stars. "Aiya, Arwen," he said, "your daughter is more stubborn than ever you were and twice as impatient as your husband was. However did you manage such a thing?" The stars twinkled back in amusement.

- - -

Erestor did not have to observe the open pack filled with clothing, books, and other small possessions for very long before coming to a conclusion. "Where are you going?"

"Away from here. Far away from here." Haldir pulled two more items from the closet and shoved them into the bag.

Clucking in annoyance, Erestor tipped the contents of the bag out onto the bed, spilling them onto the floor. "She will follow you. Do you love her?"

"Erestor, I have to leave." Haldir grabbed for the bag, but Erestor stepped back and held it fast under his arm.

"But do you love her?"

Growling in the back of his throat, Haldir yanked open a drawer to pull out a slightly more worn bag. "That's why I have to leave." He untied it and began to shove everything into this one. "She lost her father, her mother, her brother and sisters. She has a family here now. I won't make her give that up."

"But you'll give up what you have? Your parents, your family? Your sanity? Though, it's questionable that you still have that," Erestor scolded him, tossing the empty bag aside.

Narrowing his eyes, Haldir returned again to the closet to search for his bow. "For her, yes. For her, anything."

"Because of one elf?" Erestor took hold of the bag, not bothering to dump out the contents this time, but obvious not about to give it back as Haldir returned with his weapons. "Because of Elrond?"

"Erestor, I have no time for games," replied Haldir sternly.

"You are so very much like him," answered the tall elf. "I would dare say sometimes you two are exactly alike."

"If that were true, he wouldn't constantly hint at the fact I am unworthy to court her. Kindly return my bag." Haldir held out one hand to Erestor in a demanding manner.

"Damn you, Haldir!" hissed Erestor, and Haldir took a step back in surprise at the sudden rage he saw in Erestor's eyes. "Go after her!" Erestor insisted. "If you don't, you will never forgive yourself. You will regret it every day of your life. No matter how happy you are, no matter how blessed you feel, every morning you wake up and curse yourself for letting her leave."

"She's not going anywhere, Erestor. I'm the one leaving," Haldir reminded him.

Giving a nod after pausing to consider this, Erestor said softly, "You'll regret it all the same."

"I'll regret it if... I... do something I regret," countered Haldir. He sat down atop his desk, leaning his bow and sword against the chair. "You cannot know what it is like, to walk around this house, to see her everywhere, to hear her voice echo in the halls, to smell her scent in every room, to touch her hand in passing, but to be denied the taste of her lips and the warmth of her touch because it is not proper in the eyes of others."

Erestor was silent for a time, shaking slightly. Dropping the pack to the floor, he finally took hold of the footboard as he lowered himself to sit down on the bed. "I know exactly what it is like," he solemnly answered. "That is why I am not about to watch you walk away."

Haldir's shoulders slumped and he stared up at the ceiling. "If I stay here, I might make it a day, a week, perhaps a month even. I will not last much longer than that. I cannot deny what I want, and what she wants as well."

Looking up with a spark of hope in his eyes, Erestor said, "Don't. Tell Elrond."

"Don't tell Elrond? I can do that."

Erestor smiled in relief to hear Haldir make a joke. "No, penneth. Tell Elrond what your intentions are."

"He will kill me."

"You know he won't. I will come with you. We can go now," offered Erestor.

Haldir bit his lip. "I can't, not yet."

"And you are still intent on leaving?"

"I almost..." Haldir looked back to Erestor. "I almost said and did something tonight that I may have regretted."

"I see. So you seek to escape before you do. Where will you go?" wondered Erestor. "I heard about your birch tree."

"There's nothing wrong with living in a tree," Haldir said defensively.

"No. No there isn't," Erestor agreed. "Haldir, everything is happening so quickly. More has happened in the last two years than has happened in the hundred before that, I would wager. These are great turning points in our immeasurable lives, and we do not have foresight of the roads ahead. Tell me, what is it that you seek? What are your wants? Your goals?"

"I-" Haldir shook his head. "I'm not certain I know."

"Then do this for me," insisted Erestor. "Write a letter."

"What?"

"First, rest, actually, and then write a letter. To yourself. Tell yourself what your goals are."

"Can't I just make a list?" asked Haldir.

Erestor smiled. "Letters are much more personal. But get some sleep first. It has been a long day."

Nodding, Haldir slid off of the desk. "Thank you, Erestor." The dark elf nodded and headed to the door.

"Haldir?" The silver-blonde elf looked up at Erestor. "I do not think you will regret it when you tell her you love her." Again, Haldir nodded, his cheeks flushing slightly. "Good night, Haldir."

"Good night, Erestor. And thank you again," he said as Erestor shut the door.

- - -

"Go home. Rest." Erestor offered his hand to Elodien, who took it and was pulled up from the ground.

"You talked to him?" asked Elodien as they walked to the house, arm in arm.

Erestor nodded. "Give him just a little more time. He does love you. Believe me."

"I do, Erestor, I've always believed you." Elodien paused as they reached the pink gate. "Did he... did he mention me at all?" she asked hopefully.

"You were the only thing we talked about," Erestor smirked. "Time, child, time. Give him that, and he will give you so much in return. Please, believe me." He kissed her forehead and opened the gate for her.

"I believe you." Elodien gave his hand a squeeze. "Good night," she said, "and thank you."

Erestor nodded silently as she walked the short path and entered the house. From the porch, hidden in shadow, a familiar voice said, "Playing matchmaker of Valinor?"

He was not sure how to answer at first as Galadriel stood and walked to the fence. "Well," he said finally as she stood on the opposite side from him, "there should be someone doing that job here, don't you think so? I know we could have used one at their age." Holding her gaze, he grasped the top of the swinging gate door and pulled it shut.