Beyond Canon
RSS


- Text Size +
“Are those the plans for the house?” Celebrian asked, peering over her husband’s shoulder.

Elrond nodded. “The annex will be through the minor hall on the first and second floor. I have yet to contemplate the third floor, or whether it would be necessary to build that far. Instead of building against the side of the house as it stands now, a walkway will run for twelve feet, opening to a patio and gardens on either side.”

Celebrian nodded, tracing where Elrond had pointed to. “I think you’ve missed something.”

Both Elrond and Rumil began to search the plans. “I do not see anything amiss,” said Rumil.

“I definitely think you’ve missed something,” Celebrian told them in earnest.

When a second search came up fruitless, Haldir cleared his throat. He had been sitting on the window seat of the kitchen where the plans were spread – the room had the largest available table, and the best lighting. “She’s talking about the nursery,” he told them before he sipped his tea.

“We didn’t plan to have a nursery in the expansion,” Elrond said, a little too suddenly he realized. Celebrian looked away, very hurt. “Perhaps we can find some extra space somewhere to fit one.”

“It should be on the same floor as our rooms,” Celebrian said, matter-of-factly.

“Well, yes, of course it should.” Elrond studied the plans, shaking his head. “But as it stands, there is no good place to add on to on the third floor with the way the rooms the boys are in are situated.” Elrond had come to grouping his nephew with the twins, collectively referring to Celebdreth, Elrohir, and Elladan as simply ‘the boys’.

“What if they were to move into the annex when it is completed? Then we could use the space across the hall for the nursery.”

“There isn’t any room in the annex for all three of them,” Rumil informed him. “Between the space Orophin and Valarda will be in and the rooms I have planned for Nenniach and I, they would need to split up.”

“What of the rooms they are vacating? What purpose will those serve?” Celebrian raised her brows, waiting for the answer.

Elrond’s answer was somewhat forced. “When my advisors make it over the sea, I want for them to have a place to come to.”

Celebrian frowned a bit. “You can not know they will come. So many have decided to remain. Few boats will sail yet to Valinor.”

“They will come.” Haldir found himself taking less answers from logic and more from instinct and feeling in the past few years since he had moved into the First Homely House. “My suspicion is that Erestor has yet to pack up the entirety of the Library of Imladris, and that Glorfindel has yet to build a boat big enough to haul it all here. Though I admit that theory is based upon what the twins tell me, still, they will come.”

“So we will need to fit them into the house.” Celebrian scanned the large sheets that showed the addition to the house. “We could always tell Nana and Ada they will have to wait until the next set of rooms are added until they have a room to stay here.”

“Certainly not,” Elrond replied curtly. The last time Galadriel and Celeborn had stayed the night, Celebrian offered their room to her parents. She then evicted Haldir (and his rabbit) to the couch in the parlor. However, Elrond found he couldn’t sleep knowing his inlaws were in his bed. So downstairs he had gone, only to find that Haldir’s back bothered him if he tried to lay on the couch, so the pair stayed up through the night drinking and swapping war stories. The next morning found them drunker than dwarves at a wedding, singing a rousing and modified version of “Tra-La-La-Lally”, while trying to make lembas. Soon after, the edict to include a room for Galadriel and Celeborn in the plans was passed unanimously.

“Then where are we going to put the nursery?” demanded Celebrian.

“Celebrian. Darling.” Elrond settled his elbows on the table and let his head sink into his hands. “I know the years here have been long for you. I know you wish for a child. I do not think I am ready for that yet.”

“You could move the boys into Orophin’s rooms, split their room into two for Erestor and Glorfindel when they arrive, give Nana and Ada Rumil’s suite, and annex my office to use as the nursery.” Haldir turned from his watch at the window. “Or, you could convince Orophin to stay where he is, place the nursery on the ground level, and put Nana and Ada into the new rooms…”

“Haldir, we would not take your office from you,” Celebrian told him.

“Why not? I don’t really use it.” He sipped his tea again. “Though, the nursery really should be on the first floor…”

Elrond looked up at the elf in the window. “If you have some inside information that compels you to want a nursery, O Oracle of the First Homely House, please share it with us.”

Haldir blinked at them innocently. “It is just the most practical place to put it.” His gaze turned back to what was going on outside as he mused to himself, “And truly, we shall be needing one…”

Elrond let his hands fly down, slapping the top of the table. “Why shall we be needing one?”

Feigning surprise, Haldir looked back at the occupants of the kitchen. “I’m sorry. Has she not told you?” Slowly, he drank the rest of his tea, letting his gaze wander to Celebrian. Her look went from one of perplexion to soft and somewhat demure.

“I have not told him,” she said. “I had hoped my hints were enough.”

Elrond, slightly shocked, looked first to Celebrian. “But we…but only just last night…” He drew her down to sit on his lap. “It is so sudden – not that I am not thrilled, but…” Looking up into her eyes, he asked, “Are we ready for this?”

Celebrian nodded. “Yes. I think we are. I think we need this, to help us heal.” It took a few minute for the Lord of the House to contemplate, but finally, he smiled, and nodded as well.

“Then we shall have to find a spot for the nursery.” Elrond and Rumil set about scanning the plans again. “If you truly could part with your office, Haldir, it would work well.”

“Consider it yours. Or little whomever they may be’s. You should still keep the idea of putting it on the first floor in mind.” Haldir’s attention was caught by something in the window and he grinned. “Excuse me. I shall return.”

Darting out of the room, Haldir began to cross the lawn to the trees. A sharp whistle behind him alerted him that someone had followed him from the house. He doubled back, finding Celebrian at the steps. “Why did you do that? Now he thinks we are having another elfling! What am I to do?”

Haldir led her away from the house to the beach, where the waves covered their voices. “Last night, I awoke to some most interesting noises.” Celebrian blushed as Haldir continued. “Although he was quite willing to engage in such activity, right after he seemingly upset you, I think he would have become more guarded the more he thought things through. He’s not an idiot, he knows where elflings come from.” He received a punch in the shoulder for this, but continued. “Now that he thinks you indeed are carrying a child, he isn’t going to stop and think. You may not be housing my future niece or nephew at the moment, but very soon, you will be.” He was punched again, harder this time.

“Alright, Haldir, but if this arrow backfires…”

“It will not.”

“Thank you. I do not know if I would have convinced him otherwise.”

“You are welcome. It is a trick I picked up from Erestor.” Haldir received a puzzled look from Celebrian, and he explained as they continued their stroll. “He once wanted a new stable built because the old one had a stench that could not be gotten rid of. Not horses, but as if something had died and affixed itself to the walls – this was when we were children,” he added, seeing that Celebrian was trying to place the event. “When Elrond told him it was impossible, Erestor went out to the forest with a piece of wood from the stable, collected termites, and brought it to the council meeting. He merely tossed the half-eaten plank on Elrond’s desk, and a month later, Imladris had a new barn.” Haldir stopped, looked at the house, and looked back to his sister. “What he does not know will not hurt him.”

Celebrian nodded slyly. “And the nursery?”

“I think he is going to build one for you. You just have to fill your end of the bargain.”

Another punch in the arm. “No, you smug dog, why should it be on the first floor?”

Haldir opened his mouth, then shut it, catching a glimpse of someone near the trees. “Another time. You should really be helping them plan the room, else, they might…paint it orange or something.” Haldir walked Celebrian briskly up to the house. “And the first floor. Try to get it on the first floor.”

“Why the first floor?” pleaded Celebrian one last time.

“Because I really like my office.” Haldir shooed her inside, before turning and jogging to the trees, a huge grin forming on his face.

Galadriel pretended to be interested in the bark of the birch as Haldir approached. She smiled, said nothing, and shyly came to him. “I have thought of a name,” he told her, then, placing one hand upon her abdomen, he used the other to cup around his mouth as he whispered it softly into her ear.

“Thank you. It is beautiful.”

“Do you like it then?” Haldir asked eagerly.

Galadriel nodded. “I think she will like it, too,” she said, placing her hand over his.